Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VC

Nov 16, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

CV

Mar 03, 2016

Engaging content and excellent pace. While the level is introductory (I'd have liked a bit more depth), I would expect this from a lower-division/breadth course—and even more so from a MOOC like this.

676 - 700 of 1,477 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By Ambar A

May 13, 2020

Excelente curso, te abre la mente para mostrar cuando de la mano van el budismo y la psicología moderna

By Karina B

May 06, 2020

Enjoyed the course! It is very well taught by Professor Wright with sense of humor and easy language ))

By Juan C

Oct 19, 2018

Great class, learned a lot with this course, but more than that,... I learned how to understand myself.

By Roberto M

Jul 25, 2017

Many unexpected connections between duddhist teaching and modern science. Thenks a lot to Prf. Wright.

By Hon F C

Mar 08, 2016

Very inspiring and interesting course. If you want to know how human mind is, it is a MUST-Take course.

By lukasz k

Feb 25, 2016

It was one of the most fantastic courses I've signed up for. Very interesting way to learn some theory!

By Jiby N

Feb 13, 2016

Thank you so much. This course has been very informative intellectually for my spiritual investigation.

By Denis A

Nov 19, 2015

Wonderfull course! It brought me to become a rational buddhist and to start my endeavor in brain study!

By sai k

Nov 01, 2015

Instructor explain in simple language with daily life experience examples for connectivity is amazing .

By Harry L

Feb 09, 2019

A must-take for anyone who wants to know how Buddhism holds up against the scrutiny of modern science.

By John H

Dec 22, 2018

Best explanation of what Buddhism is I've seen since [many decades] I've been trying to figure it out.

By Antonio G

May 08, 2016

This course was very interesting and well prepared. Not overwhelming but with plenty of good content.

By Covaci G

Apr 25, 2020

Very structureed and well organized course. Enjoyed lectures and interviews from the video materials.

By ling

Aug 21, 2018

Very insightful course. This provides a modern explanation to the ancient wisdom. Highly recommended.

By Annika W

May 28, 2018

Thanks for a very interesting course. I will go back and listen to lectures many more times for sure.

By Ariel A C

Jun 29, 2020

This course is excellent to enrich your Buddhist knowledge in relation to modern science/psychology.

By Venkata L K

Jun 20, 2020

sir, u explanation is so good and u interviewed nice people all should practise noble truths of life

By Helen P

Mar 27, 2019

Excellent thought provoking course, with an amiable and watchable presenter. I very much enjoyed it!

By Nur Y

Dec 29, 2015

Really an interesting course by a great professor. I'm enjoying it a lot and i totally recommend it.

By Madeleine P

Nov 28, 2015

I'm only on the first lecture but I already love this course and find it so enlightening. Thank you!

By Shaun S

Aug 07, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyed this course. Interesting introduction to relating modern psychology and Buddhism

By AGANA P E

Jul 31, 2020

Physiology is the best course to me. it help once to know the reason why he or she dose what he did

By Gabriela M L P

Jul 19, 2020

Un curso excepcional, una de mis experiencias de estudio más gratificantes, muchas gracias Coursera

By SUREKHA P S

Jun 18, 2020

i have completed my course Buddhism and modern Psychology on 17th .When will my certificate ready ?