Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

LW
Oct 25, 2020

I thought this was a great introduction to both modern Buddhist thought and evolutionary psychology. Professor Wright is an excellent lecturer, and his office hours are informative as well as amusing.

VC
Nov 15, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

1701 - 1725 of 1,822 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By Flavia L

Feb 25, 2017

Interesting course. I would have liked to have more on meditation but otherwise it was ok.

By Medha S

Jan 7, 2017

It was a brilliant course. we get to learn so much to improve ourselves. i enjoyed it. :)

By Belén Q

Jun 14, 2020

Muy buen curso! Se me hizo más interesante el principio y luego lo sentí más repetitivo.

By Kwinten K

May 17, 2018

Dr. Wright is fantastic, and does an excellent job teaching challenging course material.

By Frederic

Jun 15, 2020

Great course. Plenty of ideas to reflect upon and put together in a very Buddhist way.

By Saikat B

Apr 12, 2020

Too much dialogue and the span of the video was lengthy, sometimes it was monotonous.

By Hemaxi M

Dec 15, 2016

Wanted to know Buddhism, how is it different from Hinduism. Thank you for the course.

By Will G

Sep 11, 2018

Informative, humorous, engaging, and the teaching staff respond to forum questions.

By KETAN P

Jan 23, 2021

Thank God I'm an athiest, if you do have same belief then just go for this course.

By Zach S

Mar 29, 2016

The ideas are a little stretched but nevertheless a fun and enlightening course.

By Ganesh k

Jun 20, 2020

well, the explanation was clear and having myself till end helped me gain more.

By Micael J

Dec 13, 2016

I think the content is awesome. It could be a little faster and more objective.

By Roberto C d E R

Nov 13, 2016

I liked it very much. An accomplishment diploma would have been ok.

Thank You!!

By Lucy S

Aug 22, 2017

There is a bit of rambling, but that aside, it's a nice, interesting course.

By Saira M

Jun 17, 2020

This is a very interesting and engaging course. You won't regret taking it!

By Nicole E

Jan 17, 2017

Interesting perspective, and good tie in to modern psychology as promised.

By Portia S

Nov 11, 2015

I learned a lot and loved the dogggies and the professor's sense of humor!

By Luis V

Jul 16, 2020

It is a good course if you like to learn about Buddhism and to meditate.

By Es M

May 4, 2020

Variety of resources available in the topic of Buddhism and Psychology.

By Lim K B J

Mar 2, 2020

Good course to think about Buddhism and Modern Psychology. Thank You !

By Desh R S

Jun 10, 2020

Its a beautiful course. But it must have a certificate of completion.

By Cedric B

Oct 2, 2015

I don't like the idea of writing 800 words essays in English though.

By Christelle G

May 8, 2016

I loved the informations they're giving us and how the professor

By Nithin B

Jul 19, 2020

Eye-opening course with a good amount of info and a great pace.

By Manisha P

May 7, 2020

course was very interesting. I enjoyed learning each concepts.