Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VC

Nov 16, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

CV

Mar 03, 2016

Engaging content and excellent pace. While the level is introductory (I'd have liked a bit more depth), I would expect this from a lower-division/breadth course—and even more so from a MOOC like this.

576 - 600 of 1,380 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By Gabriela O

Jun 15, 2017

Excellent course, the professor is excellent. I really learned and the topic is very interesting. I recommend it a lot

By Maria J

May 20, 2017

This was an excellent course! I had not much previous knowledge of Buddhism or psychology but it was fun for me to do.

By Natalia

Apr 06, 2017

This is extremely interesting course! It gave me a lot of issues for further study and thinking. Strongly recommended.

By Caelyn M

Apr 13, 2016

Really excellent course. The conversations in the additional resources at the end of each week were especially useful.

By Raj B

Jun 01, 2020

I enjoyed this course, it helped during the pandemic lockdown to consider some noble ideas about the human condition.

By Austeja P

Loved the course, especially extra materials such as video interviews with great meditators as well as psychologists!

By Vibhuti J

Jun 18, 2020

The lectures were amazing, precise, and full of great pieces of evidence, interview bits, and things to ponder upon.

By Vinicius B K

Feb 19, 2020

It is an excellent course for anyone interested in both topics that it carries in his name: Buddhism and Psychology.

By Pontus A

Apr 21, 2018

An excellent introduction to Buddhism from a secular point of view, and a great complement to a meditation practice.

By Afke v M

Jul 26, 2016

Interesting, challenging ànd pleasant to follow and practice.

Thanks to Robert Wright for opening new worlds for me!

By Angela B R

Nov 03, 2015

I loved it! Easy to follow, great examples, amazing activities...

I am so happy I decided to take this one!

Congrats!

By Natalie G

Oct 30, 2015

Great class, great material, and great professor!

I love how the class is organized and how easy it is to understand.

By Ralf H

g

g

b

d

ing on both ad how they are linked.

By Pablo I R

Nov 18, 2017

A great course for those who are studing about buddhism and minfulness meditation, Is a good place to start though.

By Brandon S V

Jun 23, 2020

Excelente profesor, interiorizaciones y adelantarse efectivamente a las preguntas que nos hacemos sobre los temas.

By Thiago S d S

May 23, 2020

Very interesting subject, explained in a clear and simple way, with plenty of supplementary material. I recommend.

By Anastase K

Jan 08, 2017

Congratulation to Robert Wright for his kind and human approach and for helping us to become better people through

By Dylan D

Apr 08, 2020

Easily one of the best MOOCs out there! Thank you and congratulations, Professor Wright and the rest of the team!

By Ghassan Q

Feb 06, 2019

Eye opening . This is one of the rare courses that is fundementally academic & philisophical et touches the soul

By ULLURI U S

Jun 12, 2020

Online learning

Listening skills

Improve our knowledge

How to fast speeking in Inglish

How to collaborate each other

By Talia A

Jan 17, 2018

This course opened a whole new world for me, and introduced Robert Wright, who is just brilliant. Thanks Robert!

By Andjela M

Jan 08, 2017

Excellent course, carefully and thoughtfully planned and released in an academic and yet relaxed, inspiring way.

By Alina M

Oct 06, 2016

This is a wonderful course which gives you are chance to see the connection between religion and modern science.

By brenda d

Sep 08, 2016

As a retiree, it was great to listen to college lectures again on a topic of particular interest to me. Thanks.