Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VC

Nov 16, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

CV

Mar 03, 2016

Engaging content and excellent pace. While the level is introductory (I'd have liked a bit more depth), I would expect this from a lower-division/breadth course—and even more so from a MOOC like this.

601 - 625 of 1,358 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By John C

Mar 18, 2016

Very well done! Robert Wright is a talented professor who causes one to think more about the essence of life.

By Sebastian B

May 04, 2020

Very interesting material and well taught. I found the guest speakers especially interesting and informative.

By Merve H

Dec 11, 2019

Very inspiring and enlightening course taught by a great instructor that makes everything easy to understand.

By Monica G

Mar 21, 2019

Excellent course. Professor Wright is an excellent lecturer. I especially enjoyed office hours with his dogs.

By Carlos J R R

Jan 18, 2016

Muy buen curso, muy ligero y profundo a la vez. Puedo tomar varias clases seguidas sin sentirme sobrecargado.

By Raymond D

Sep 12, 2017

Excellent course. Robert Wright maintains the interest level and really knows his stuff. Highly recommended.

By Arlynn G

Apr 27, 2020

Loved this course! I really learned a lot and the videos and offices hours with Milo and Fraser were great!

By Danjovert R

Oct 24, 2019

Buddhism and science are deeply compatible. The Professor thought clearly and easy to understand the topic.

By parag a

Apr 02, 2018

Excellent course. Well designed with high quality content. I would recommend a sequel that goes deeper into

By Jorge C

Oct 16, 2016

Great course. Everyone interested on a scientific comprehension of buddhism and mindfulness should take it.

By Kelly S

May 01, 2016

Very informative and a great starter on anyone wishing to delve into the practices and beliefs of Buddhism.

By Daniel I N C

Jun 08, 2020

Un curso fantástico, ojalá vuelva algún día con una segunda parte. Y con un diploma <3 Un abrazo y gracias

By Hugo B d H L

Mar 01, 2016

It opens a door to this beautiful way of thinking by linking it with modern science. Thank you Mr. Wright!

By Jonathan P

Jan 20, 2018

If you possess the ability to breath, you should take this course. An important step to universal peace.

By Angélica T

Dec 25, 2016

Fascinating course, makes this topic accessible, and loved the dog cameos in the office hours. Thank you.

By Antonio S

May 15, 2016

I love the course, but sometimes the content is too dense and deep so some concepts are hard to grasp. =D

By Circe G M

Jun 24, 2020

I loved this course, it was complete, accurate, interesting, profesional and it covered my expectations.

By Alexander K

It was very pleasant journey! Hope I reach enlightment within my lifetime...Or at least narrow the gap:)

By Douglas F

Mar 28, 2020

Awesome course. Well organized lecture material and very interesting course content. Highly recommended.

By Ian M

Feb 01, 2018

Big fan of Professor Wright (from his book, Moral Animal). This class was excellent and I learned a lot.

Jul 30, 2017

It´s a really good course because it merges the important matter between buddhism and modern psychology.

By Ambar A

May 13, 2020

Excelente curso, te abre la mente para mostrar cuando de la mano van el budismo y la psicología moderna

By Karina B

May 06, 2020

Enjoyed the course! It is very well taught by Professor Wright with sense of humor and easy language ))

By Juan C

Oct 19, 2018

Great class, learned a lot with this course, but more than that,... I learned how to understand myself.

By Roberto M

Jul 25, 2017

Many unexpected connections between duddhist teaching and modern science. Thenks a lot to Prf. Wright.