Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

CV
Mar 2, 2016

Engaging content and excellent pace. While the level is introductory (I'd have liked a bit more depth), I would expect this from a lower-division/breadth course—and even more so from a MOOC like this.

VC
Nov 15, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

901 - 925 of 1,792 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By Sol E

Jun 23, 2020

It was a life changing experience!! I have no words to thank Professor Robert Wright!!!

By Chelsea C

May 12, 2018

Such a useful and inspiring course. Thanks for Dr. Wright's patient and clear teaching.

By Carrie C L H

Nov 15, 2017

I really like this course. The topic is fascinating and the lessons are well presented.

By Rosa M

Oct 30, 2017

Great course!! I have learned a lot about how modern psychology support Buddhist ideas.

By Fiona H

Sep 30, 2017

Loved this course. Interesting and entertaining. "Office Hours" were a great pleasure.

By Rosemary K

Mar 3, 2021

Good introduction to understanding meditation from a Buddhist and science perspective.

By priyaa s

Oct 23, 2020

Wonderful conurse ,get to learn lot of things about perspective of budhdha's teachings

By Andres R

Oct 20, 2020

Excellent way to understanding the union between West science and ancestral knowlegde

By Jason S

Feb 15, 2017

This is one of the best courses I've taken. Interesting, fast paced and life changing.

By Natalia F

Dec 3, 2016

I would recommend this course to everyone who is interested in Buddhism and Psychology

By Pommm

Nov 30, 2017

this course is perfectly good. never miss it.

i want to give big thank for you guys :)

By Evgeny L

Apr 26, 2017

В виду отсутствия времени не смог пройти полностью!

Но курс очень понравился, спасибо!

By Michel P

Jun 24, 2016

I found the course excellent and very well taught and led by Professor Robert Wright.

By Johnny

Mar 24, 2016

This course is absolutely fantastic, everything about it is great! Highly recomended!

By Mr. K T

Apr 28, 2020

This Course is very benificial, it incereses the way to think positive towards life.

By Gil B

Aug 23, 2017

Enjoyed every minute! Super interesting course. Prof. Wright is a fantastic teacher.

By Vlad I

Jun 13, 2016

very thought provoking, a very useful course on mindfulness and expanding your views

By Christopher A

Nov 24, 2020

Very good course i enjoyed it...how do one gets their certificate? from this course

By Chandan R I

May 23, 2020

Kindly provide certificate also as I need to submit the certificate on my workplace

By Juan P G

Great course, great professor, great analysis about buddhism and modern psychology!

By Athziri H O

Jun 20, 2016

Completely amazing! Super clear explanations and excellent contents!

Should take it.

By shanhuiyu

Apr 21, 2016

it is helpful and useful. I can learn something new about western Buddhism. Thanks!

By Victor Y

Feb 15, 2016

Excellent class that has also given me insights about my life and how to live life.

By Priscila G R

Jun 18, 2020

Loved it!! It made me realize how the world is structured. How we really function.

By Shruti a p

Jun 10, 2020

Thanku so much to coursera because of you we learn buddhism and modern psychology.