Back to Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express and MongoDB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express and MongoDB by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course deals with all things server-side. We base the entire course around the NodeJS platform. We start with a brief overview of the Web protocols: HTTP and HTTPS. We examine NodeJS and NodeJS modules: Express for building web servers. On the database side, we review basic CRUD operations, NoSQL databases, in particular MongoDB and Mongoose for accessing MongoDB from NodeJS. We examine the REST concepts and building a RESTful API. We touch upon authentication and security. Finally we review backend as a service (BaaS) approaches, including mobile BaaS, both open-source and commercial BaaS services. At the end of this course, you will be able to: - Demonstrate an understanding of server-side concepts, CRUD and REST - Build and configure a backend server using NodeJS framework - Build a RESTful API for the front-end to access backend services...

AS
Aug 28, 2021

One of the best course available on Coursera for server side development. A lot has been covered .One change could have been made, instead of HTTPS module one week could have been dedicated to EJS.

SM
Nov 4, 2018

This is really good course to understand the concept of NodeJs and Mr Jogesh has explained in earch and every bit of the code.Really worth it and appreaciated all who all worked behind this course.

51 - 75 of 620 Reviews for Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express and MongoDB

By Yuki H

Apr 21, 2018

This course opens a new gate to someone like me does not know much about the backend development on Node.js and its eco-system. The best thing for the course is that a step by step tutorials from the basic Node.js, then to MongoDB, and the following Mongoose, Passport and etc. It also covers the testing tool like Postman, which is the essential tool for backend testing. The methodology of test-driven development comes along with the entire course.

By Alieldin A A

Dec 5, 2019

I'd have never expected such an informative course that covers everything from introducing all the fundamentals of Javascript to introducing all the quirks and ins and outs of the Express framework, and even offering a ton of information about security and so much more. This course is a gem, and Prof. Jogesh is a brilliant, light-hearted, and extremely knowledgeable teacher; I thank him dearly for all the effort and love he put into this course!

By Piyush P

Oct 22, 2017

Great course again! Jogesh Mupalla and Hong Kong University together are creating the best courses on Coursera. I have not seen any other course on any MOOC with so much work from the creator's side. So many readings and so much amount of time for explanation and in a perfect pace for learners.

Other course developers go at a great pace and they don't offer students time to dwell into the topic. Not so with the courses from Jogesh Mupalla.

By Sayak M

Sep 28, 2020

Great course in understanding the fundamentals of Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express, MongoDB and also the course instructor (Jogesh K. Muppala) taught the concepts very well.

Thanks a lot to The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology for providing this course on this platform and the instructor Jogesh K. Muppala sir for his contribution to teaching the concepts in a great way.

By Alexander S

Jul 4, 2020

Some of the information is already irrelevant. But the course is still very good. I like the way the assignments were composed. And the lecturer clearly explains every step. His English is almost perfect for non-native speakers like me. Such a pity that a lot of students are cheating. In the last assignment, every submission that I checked was like the previous one (every single line of code).

By Michael L

May 6, 2020

This course if perfect if you already stumbled around JavasScript in various tutorials but couldn't really wrap your head around how everything is connected. As a Professor Mr. Muppala has a great way of explaining the different Tools and the Technologies and guides you to build a full fledged Web Application/Mobile App with React so that you actually learn how everything is connected.

By Henry C H T

May 25, 2018

A very good summary about the server technology related to web application. It covers a lot including

MongoDB, Authentication Options, SSL as well as REST API built on top of Express Server. Though I'd challenge if Javascript is the best option for server side implementation, this course definitely a very a good summary about how the server side works.

By Mykola L

Apr 18, 2020

Amazing course! I gained a lot of knowledge while attending it. Mr. Jogesh Muppala gave great theoretical insights and supplement them with comprehensive examples. Now, I am well-equipped with the skills using NodeJS, Express, and MongoDB to build my web services. I highly recommend this course to everyone who starts its journey in the web development.

By Aiman A

Sep 9, 2018

I learned a lot from this course. As a developer this course has helped me a lot on how to set up a back end program for applications. Towards the end of the course, the topic shifted to angular and its was kind of a hard to understand the samples since it was just introduced with out clear explanation. But in general it was really a great course.

By Samir K

Only one very humble request, at the end of each exercise please provide the solutions (which unlocks only after passing the assignment) so that we can continue with lectures without any problems in our code as they might differ from the code that the instructor uses to make modifications and it makes it very difficult for us to cope up.

By Kuber G

Dec 8, 2020

Excellent course designed by Coursera and The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. It is very well presented by Prof. Jogesh. You are superb. Keep doing such great work. I was planning since long time to make my self hands-on in server side development as MEAN and MERN Stack full development and finally you made it possible.

By Jash G

Jul 15, 2021

This course's content is really well chosen and structured, and to be honest, it has taught me far more than I expected about server-side development. Thank you, Jogesh Muppala sir, for this fantastic course; it is without a doubt my suggestion to anyone looking for a course to study server-side with #Nodejs #expressjs #mongodb!

By Pedro C G S

Mar 17, 2020

Muito feliz de ter finalizado o curso! Se manter atualizado é sempre bom e ainda mais quando o curso tem referencia! Aprendi conceitos básicos e avançados que me permitirão criar aplicações robustas e escaláveis tanto na minha empresa quanto em projetos pessoais.

Parabéns ao professor Jogesh Muppala por todo o conteudo do curso!

By Rustam A

Oct 4, 2018

I have learned this course couple of times, without completing. But it really great. It opened my eyes for new world of server side development, async programming and more deep understanding of networking (https, api, get, post, cookies, tokens, file transfer, cors...) - which is very common and necessary part of my life.

By Felipe C

May 5, 2021

Jogesh is a very good teacher, he explains the theory and put everything into practice. He also shows how things works nowadays but first explains the old way or the way that is so not used now of doing things so that we can see why recent approachs works as they should be, when we talk about authentication for example.

By TechnoWings P

Sep 7, 2019

I am nobody to comment on Mr. Murappa's course.

Respect to the Mr. Murappa he is GOD of Node JS.

Very Good Course Content. I am going to attend all the courses of Mr.Murappa. Very Clear communication and to the point. All assignments are as per industry requirements and need to be taken very seriously. Thank you sir!!

By mcvean s

Sep 26, 2020

This course deserves a 5-star as it completes the specializations with utmost integrity! It's definitely good for beginners who want to dive into Back-end technologies, and others who just want to refresh their knowledge! The only aspect left out is SQL Databases, but NoSQL (MongoDB in particular) has got you covered.

By Vibhanshu s

Jul 18, 2020

My first time learning back-end development and it was fun and educational. I took the whole specialization course which is a very good way to get started with your full stack web development. This course is recommended for anyone who wants to get started with back-end development using Node, Express and MongoDB.

By ikpeama c s

Dec 19, 2019

very instructive......i have been able to gain useful insight into server-side development.....with my REST api/mongo server.; I am really excited about the knowledge i have gained in this course, as it has given me insight into what goes on behind the hood that brings about an interesting user experience .

By Fredrick S

Sep 21, 2019

This course is very useful to me. Especially the course mentor teaching the concepts in detail with very good examples. I like coursera. This is my first course here. I am planning to do more courses here. I strongly recommend this course to you all. It will be very helpful for you and your career growth.

By Ujjwaldeep S

This is the course I needed. The instructor is a brilliant teacher, and his was of explaining core concept and then making it easy by using a package for that is amazing. We all use packages, but we need to understand the core working of it to use it properly, and this courses teaches that very well.

By Priyansh B

Aug 3, 2018

I used to php development in my past days. I am still not that expert in nodeJs and mongoDB server side development, but I am sure that I can develop great web and mobile applications using backend as a service. Firebase and Loopback are just awesome and I am having a hard time to choose one of them.

By Ravi K P

Aug 9, 2019

The course was structured well. Professor Jogesh Muppala has provided useful resources and dealt with security and other frequently used operations in depth. Though this is just a beginners course, it will definitely help students pursue more. I thank Coursera and Jogesh sir for this opportunity.

By Soufiane H

Dec 4, 2020

A very complete course. The professor explain everything, including the aspect of what we should use ? why we have to use it ? how we'll use it ? I recommand this course 100% for people who wants to learn about nodejs mongodb and expressjs. Security aspect such as https, cors, Oauth2 and more

By Woods, C L

Jul 7, 2020

This course does a fantastic job of explaining all the components that go into creating a server: Node, Express, MongoDB, Mongoose. The instructor does a fantastic job of explaining the purpose of each of those components and how the layer on top of each other to add the needed functionality.