Back to Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express and MongoDB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express and MongoDB by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course deals with all things server-side. We base the entire course around the NodeJS platform. We start with a brief overview of the Web protocols: HTTP and HTTPS. We examine NodeJS and NodeJS modules: Express for building web servers. On the database side, we review basic CRUD operations, NoSQL databases, in particular MongoDB and Mongoose for accessing MongoDB from NodeJS. We examine the REST concepts and building a RESTful API. We touch upon authentication and security. Finally we review backend as a service (BaaS) approaches, including mobile BaaS, both open-source and commercial BaaS services. At the end of this course, you will be able to: - Demonstrate an understanding of server-side concepts, CRUD and REST - Build and configure a backend server using NodeJS framework - Build a RESTful API for the front-end to access backend services...

SM
Nov 4, 2018

This is really good course to understand the concept of NodeJs and Mr Jogesh has explained in earch and every bit of the code.Really worth it and appreaciated all who all worked behind this course.

Jul 20, 2019

Good course on Nodejs and MongoDB. It will be helpful, if the instructor add another section of in additional resources for deployment of website for real server(not third party free services).

26 - 50 of 551 Reviews for Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express and MongoDB

By Jinwei Z

Jul 2, 2019

I have learn a lot through this including mongoDB server side development etc

By Athreya N P

Jul 8, 2019

The way he teaches, it makes me easy to understand concepts.

By himanshu s

Jul 17, 2019

muppalla sir is a legend, love from india

By Riddhima S

Jul 2, 2019

Po po po po dhammad dhammad

By Ankit S

Jul 18, 2019

very good course

By Maria G H M

Jul 17, 2019

Excelente!

By Alan C C

Sep 30, 2020

Very technical and code oriented, which is good for me but still manages explain the concepts well before actually coding! worth it for me esp since i have no background knowledge about nodejs or javascript, a background with programming is sufficient to understand

By MOHAMMAD S

Jul 12, 2019

Voice of Trainer Is not clear although he has great knowledge

By Jorge A M L

Nov 1, 2020

I was expecting more of this course, the first two weeks was a normal course about using node and express the essential for every project if you want to use JavaScript and nodes. But after the second week between the third or when you need to authenticate the users and use mongoDB, I think is better to use a project to for real example like, login for the user, a template for every user, instead about that the teacher in this course he uses a software where he sends data to the server (mongo). Why he did not use NodeJs, javaScript or Vue, React or Angular to validate the users or send data JSON responds like we usually do in every website that we navigate. Because usually in every website where has a login, has a button and text area for your credentials. So I think everyone in this course in that section expects how to validate a form and the credentials in it. but we never did it. So where is the magic? conclusion: we don't use a software to create a user for a website, or did you use it to create one for Coursera? if you did it, please tell me how? because I use it the login and signup button to create my account.

By Neeraj

Oct 14, 2019

The course doesnot cover the specifics of NodeJs such as asynchronous IO and callbacks or the new items introduced in ES2015 but covers too easy steps which feels like spoon feeding a 2 year old.

I think the course was targeted at a high school level class, instead of software professionals or Bachelors who already have some experience with programming.

By Adrián

Oct 7, 2018

There's a big flaw in this course for those like me who made the Full-stack dev based on react specialization. Angular is presented but never studied before, should also have a module explaining to those who came from React instead of Angular.

Apr 2, 2019

worst .....Instructor is stick with only one thing that is dish , from the very first video .Just so annoying .DO NOT DO this course. Waste of time.

By Vicky G

Jul 3, 2020

Just a waste of time doing the course.Professor never gives clear explanation on any of the topic.

By Shikhar S

Jul 9, 2020

Poor Explanation.no real time Project,outdated and poor project with no practical importance.

By Shubham S

Jun 7, 2018

Coursera offers a great opportunity and resources for educators from any field. it's course quality is appropriate for beginners. Collection of courses on coursera covers almost everything that an educator needs. Course layout, structuring and delivery methods allow learners easy access thereby facilitating a user to schedule, plan, prioritise and take the course as per convenience. User always has the chance to enroll for multiple courses at a time which is very good for time optimization. One of the features of coursera is email notification, which reminds users about upcoming classes and courses. As it offers courses from the top universities, and all being free, allows the students (and teachers) to learn from world-class professors, watch high quality lectures, achieve mastery via interactive exercises, and collaborate with a global community of students.

By Saravanan C

Jul 15, 2020

I think this is one of the best specialization I have signed up for. The teacher really forces you to do things - not spoon feeding. Also the contents are planned enough & well. I think there is a need for up-to-date need for software, installation instructions at many places. Less experienced folks might find it discouraging otherwise and bail out this beautiful course and effort. I literally want the author and Coursera to BAN folks spamming with "please review my assignment". It just makes the whole forum useless. I never needed to do that and everything was smooth for me - wondering why it is happening with others. I look forward similar end-to-end Full stack courses from this teacher. Thank you.

By Peter S

Nov 22, 2017

The last of 5 courses in the specialization. The 5 courses are 5 small shining gems: all extraordinarily well structured, up to date and to the point. The whole series is a complete overhaul of the material from an earlier specialization. The material has been updated and restructured.

I have one suggestion: It would have been nice also to learn how to handle sql-databases (like: postgresql) from nodejs. After the course I guess it is possible for me to study it on my own, but having Jogesh Muppalas introductions sure is addictive..

By Gillian B

Sep 25, 2018

Enjoyed this course and I liked Professor Muppala. I learned a lot in just 4 weeks. I'm new to javascript and node. I liked that it crossed a very broad range in just 4 weeks - not into great depth, just an introduction into the possibilities. That's exactly what I wanted. The structure of the course was just fine - project based, so it built up in complexity. The final assignment took me much longer than I expected, but I persevered. I will have a little break, then do some more courses. Excellent value for money.

By Naresh T

Jan 22, 2019

This course helps us to understand nodeJS better . The best thing for the course is that a step by step tutorials from the basic Node.js, then to MongoDB, and the following Mongoose, Passport, OAuth, swagger documentation and etc. It also covers the testing tool like Postman, which is the essential tool for backend testing. The methodology of test-driven development comes along with the entire course..

It would have been better if the last topic also made as mandatory assignment.. :) :) :)..

By Yuki H

Apr 21, 2018

This course opens a new gate to someone like me does not know much about the backend development on Node.js and its eco-system. The best thing for the course is that a step by step tutorials from the basic Node.js, then to MongoDB, and the following Mongoose, Passport and etc. It also covers the testing tool like Postman, which is the essential tool for backend testing. The methodology of test-driven development comes along with the entire course.

By Alieldin A A

Dec 5, 2019

I'd have never expected such an informative course that covers everything from introducing all the fundamentals of Javascript to introducing all the quirks and ins and outs of the Express framework, and even offering a ton of information about security and so much more. This course is a gem, and Prof. Jogesh is a brilliant, light-hearted, and extremely knowledgeable teacher; I thank him dearly for all the effort and love he put into this course!

By Piyush P

Oct 22, 2017

Great course again! Jogesh Mupalla and Hong Kong University together are creating the best courses on Coursera. I have not seen any other course on any MOOC with so much work from the creator's side. So many readings and so much amount of time for explanation and in a perfect pace for learners.

Other course developers go at a great pace and they don't offer students time to dwell into the topic. Not so with the courses from Jogesh Mupalla.

By Sayak M

Sep 28, 2020

Great course in understanding the fundamentals of Server-side Development with NodeJS, Express, MongoDB and also the course instructor (Jogesh K. Muppala) taught the concepts very well.

Thanks a lot to The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology for providing this course on this platform and the instructor Jogesh K. Muppala sir for his contribution to teaching the concepts in a great way.

By Alexander

Jul 4, 2020

Some of the information is already irrelevant. But the course is still very good. I like the way the assignments were composed. And the lecturer clearly explains every step. His English is almost perfect for non-native speakers like me. Such a pity that a lot of students are cheating. In the last assignment, every submission that I checked was like the previous one (every single line of code).

By Michael L

May 6, 2020

This course if perfect if you already stumbled around JavasScript in various tutorials but couldn't really wrap your head around how everything is connected. As a Professor Mr. Muppala has a great way of explaining the different Tools and the Technologies and guides you to build a full fledged Web Application/Mobile App with React so that you actually learn how everything is connected.