Back to Presentation skills: Designing Presentation Slides

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Presentation skills: Designing Presentation Slides by National Research Tomsk State University

“Powerpoint slides are like children: no matter how ugly they are, you’ll think they’re beautiful if they’re yours” — Scott Adams, author of the comic strip “Dilbert”. Due to this cause or another, it’s a huge stress to look at most Powerpoint slides. Depending on the “design” skills of the speaker and audience’s taste slides create different emotions from a slight annoyance to physical sickness. But that is not the worst thing. The worst thing is that instead of improving the presentation such slides confuse the audience, distract it and finally oblige the speaker to explain them rather than being quite self-explanatory. The goal of this course is to change that by equipping learners with a set of tools to create simple, clear and aesthetic slides which improve the presentation of the speaker. The course covers universal design principles, templates, colors, typefaces, slides’ typography, use of photos and pictograms, composition rules and ways to create clear and meaningful charts and diagrams. This course is not a PowerPoint fundamentals course. You should have a basic knowledge of either Microsoft PowerPoint or Apple Keynote software. Don’t meddle, make your slides matter....

AG
Sep 30, 2019

Awesome course for everybody. This will help you put forward your points in a better way everytime and in any situation. It taught me simple tricks and list of todo's that one needs to keep in mind

ND
Oct 5, 2020

Really helped me understand some of the fundamentals of design. I did not realize the power of icons, tables, pics, and typography. I really enjoyed the teaching and how it taught me fluid design.

26 - 50 of 370 Reviews for Presentation skills: Designing Presentation Slides

By Nadeem K

Jul 10, 2020

great course

By Madhurjo D A

Jun 25, 2020

good course

By Uma V M

Duration is too long. Can be reduced adding only required details.

Getting grading from peers is real pain point

I waited too long to get course completion certificate

By Cesar S

Dec 6, 2020

The course content is good, but it has too many stupid assignments. Homework is a waste of time with a lot of idiot people who correct them and think they are smarter than the teacher. They should eliminate the peer reviews and leave only the questionnaires. With so many useless tasks the course becomes a great waste of time. A certificate that you could get in a week you get it three weeks later.

By Alan P B

Jan 22, 2021

This course helped me to understand the "why" of what makes for good and bad design. I don't have a design background, but have created many, many PowerPoint presentations over the course of my business career. I would rate most of what I created in the past as usable, but not well-designed or beautiful. I come away from this class with a much broader perspective of what can be done to ensure focus, contrast, and unity are employed to create well designed presentations that are beautiful and will engage the audience. I'm confident that I can now more clearly present material and that my target audience will not only learn, but change behavior and enjoy the experience.

I really appreciated Alexei's passion for the subject and his clear presentation of all the key principles.

I found the practice assignments to be helpful, but peer-reviews were not as beneficial as they could be.

I highly recommend this course to any who need to be creating presentations.

By E. M R

Apr 3, 2020

A wonderful course. One can take this course to polish their presentation skills. The topics are relevant and all basics of presentation is covered in this course. One can be really benefited from the course.

Peer review is little frustrating as the first reviewer give input on assignments and pass his/her course. The second, third...... reviewers have their own point and the re-submissions are evaluated in their own understanding. This is frustrating when a person fail to pass the assignment, in spite of lot of improvement in the assignments. Especially the fourth week assignment rubrics are vague which makes the reviewers to take their own hand in evaluation. This aspect could be improved.

By Mehadi H M

May 15, 2020

This course helped me tremendously to improve my PPT designing skill. Very well organized and assignments are practical. However, I faced few issues when I used to get the grades from peers, found a portion of them are evaluating my assignment wrong. I found hopeless when there's a low grade for appropriate work. Even though, it's actually motivating me to continue, considering: that all participants are not so skilled in English language, so it could be a reason for lower-grade. After all, had a superb learning journey.

By Amit K S

Oct 7, 2019

Its one best course which I have attended at Coursera Platform. I started this course assuming i would learn basically how to make good power-point and slide designs which was not the case. As i started this course it totally changed my perspective how we present the content and modify it according to our audience. It teaches more than just PPTs or slides. Will get to know what to put, how much to put in your presentation.

By Enrique B

Aug 21, 2020

This course is a must for everybody!!! it should be mandatory on schools, universities, all kind of businesses, everywhere where a person needs to communicate to a group of person anything.

Alexei makes an incredible job explaining things that to me, are inexplicable.There are many explicit examples of how to improve presentations, how to display in a slide what you want and how to arrange items.

By Nicole M

Mar 7, 2021

I really feel like I can leverage what I've learned in this course into my everyday job. I most enjoyed the before and after slides, and the summaries at the end of each video. My only bit of advice would be to demonstrate more how changes were made vs. just showing. I often can envision what a slide should look like, but need the shortcuts and tools to do so without a ton of time.

By Vanessa S

Mar 29, 2019

A really intense course that has been well thought out and very comprehensive. You must ensure you are a good project manager and stick to the deadlines otherwise you incur additional charges if you reset the deadline. Lots of variety with quizzes/questionnaires and presentations. Plus you learn from your peers. Overall I'd highly recommend.

By Heja S

Jun 22, 2019

1. Provides clear – and very plausible rules.

2. The progression is well structured.

3. In standard time the instructor makes too many breaks in the middle of the sentence, but he is very nice and likeable. I put the speed to 1,25 and it was perfect.

4. If you don’t pay, you can’t access the assignments after 4 weeks and only watch the videos.

By Sıla Ö

Nov 17, 2019

Wonderful course !!! . The contents are more quality than I expected. Explanations are clear . Examples are perfect to understand what is best and worse. I like that Teacher re-creates the presentation step by step.

I learned a lot of things and after taking this class whenever I see a presentation I make it better in my mind.

By Akshita C

Apr 19, 2021

The course was amazing, I really enjoyed and learned a lot. This course really opened my eyes about the way of making and designing a presentation slides and I have noticed a great improvement in myself after doing this course. I recommend this course to those people who really want to improve the way they design their presentation.

By Madhur G

Apr 14, 2018

This was first course and I must say I am fully satisfied. The quizzes and project work made it practical as without that it would have been only theoretical.The level of depth in explaining how the slides should be designed was quite brilliant. Now I can definitely good slides from bad ones. Slowly i should be able these myself.

By Vasso F

Jan 19, 2021

I thought my presentations were good but could be better, so I joined this course. At the end of the lessons, I can say that this course, completely changed my perception about how a good presentation really looks like. A fantastic course, that in my opinion should be taught in many business universities around the world!

By Sunila H

May 15, 2020

Well, the course has cleared many of my misconceptions about the slide design and functionality. The course is very well- designed, suitable for diverse groups. The assignments actually helps you to assess your learning on the way. The additional materials and resources are really fun and helpful. Thanks a lot

By Pashupati D

Aug 10, 2020

This course is a must for people who as presentation works to be done and also who has to review others presentation works. did all the assignments diligently and i feel like I have learnt a lot. My presentations are already way better than anytime before thought i have a long way to go.

By Dylan A

Jul 21, 2019

course videos are great, entertaining, and instructive.

course materials provide variety of ways to engage the student and facilitate learning.

the practical exercises are also a huge help in giving us hands on experience with putting the design principles discussed into action.

By Amouzou K S

Jul 28, 2020

This was a great experience for me. Very instructive and very useful course. I was scared about giving presentation, now I feel like becoming addict to them. thanks Alexei for sharing your knowledge and Thanks Coursera for making this possible for some people like me.

By Anyiam O O

Aug 7, 2020

This is an amazing course on PowerPoint that I recommend to everyone. It is creative, fun and exciting. It teaches you so much about slides that you can't get from just anywhere. It will improve the professionalism of people when making powerpoint presentations.

By Shyan

Mar 9, 2018

Such a wonderful, helpful and concise course! I can't speak enough how useful this is toward my work - I already started implementing the key take-aways. I think everyone who prepares presentation can benefits from this. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

By Nathan S

Feb 22, 2018

Simple, smart and organised... That's what I like about this course. I really enjoy sharing my projects with others and getting feedback from them, I haven't yet worked in such format before. But It's nice and you learn a lot from others. Great course!

By Md. K S

Aug 12, 2020

Loved the whole experience! I always thought creating beautiful presentation requires a good part of design skills but turns out it doesn't. You can actually create wonderful slides with simple techniques which this course explains in a fantastic way.

By Keller 8

Mar 19, 2018

Several courses on the same topic on different platforms don't offer any practical tasks but this course does. I like that I can use my ideas for fixing slides, etc. And I like receiving comments from my peers, it motivates me to learn more.