Back to Presentation skills: Designing Presentation Slides

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Presentation skills: Designing Presentation Slides by National Research Tomsk State University

“Powerpoint slides are like children: no matter how ugly they are, you’ll think they’re beautiful if they’re yours” — Scott Adams, author of the comic strip “Dilbert”. Due to this cause or another, it’s a huge stress to look at most Powerpoint slides. Depending on the “design” skills of the speaker and audience’s taste slides create different emotions from a slight annoyance to physical sickness. But that is not the worst thing. The worst thing is that instead of improving the presentation such slides confuse the audience, distract it and finally oblige the speaker to explain them rather than being quite self-explanatory. The goal of this course is to change that by equipping learners with a set of tools to create simple, clear and aesthetic slides which improve the presentation of the speaker. The course covers universal design principles, templates, colors, typefaces, slides’ typography, use of photos and pictograms, composition rules and ways to create clear and meaningful charts and diagrams. This course is not a PowerPoint fundamentals course. You should have a basic knowledge of either Microsoft PowerPoint or Apple Keynote software. Don’t meddle, make your slides matter....

AG

Oct 01, 2019

Awesome course for everybody. This will help you put forward your points in a better way everytime and in any situation. It taught me simple tricks and list of todo's that one needs to keep in mind

ND

Oct 06, 2020

Really helped me understand some of the fundamentals of design. I did not realize the power of icons, tables, pics, and typography. I really enjoyed the teaching and how it taught me fluid design.

226 - 250 of 292 Reviews for Presentation skills: Designing Presentation Slides

Feb 21, 2020

Thanks

By Michael M

Aug 03, 2020

good

By Saydul K

Jul 09, 2020

good

By surya

May 03, 2020

nice

Mar 14, 2020

ok

By Ramachandran S

May 13, 2019

Overall it is an excellent course. Have given lot of insights how to prepare the presentation slides with different types and numbers of audience. It provided lot of real time examples from various leading successful leaders presentation. All Videos attached to the course was meaningful

However the assignments starting 3rd week is more complicated. Also each fellow reviewer have their own views and compare other's assignment with their own. It results sometimes in poor taste and failures in securing the pass grade. Multiple attempts would be required before getting the pass grade and this aspect can be reviewed by one expert reviewer whose marks will have more weight age to even out the bias from fellow reviewers

By Abrahan M G L

Jul 11, 2018

Well I think that it's an appropiate course for those who already know how to make presentations in any software, and are looking for new ideas to improve their slides. The teacher explains each topic in an easy way to understand and use some examples to clarify. In my experience I really learned some technics to improve my presentations, because let's say it, mine were old too fashioned. I strongly recommend this course to anyone, and I just would like to say that the quizzes must be a little shorter. Thanks very much.

By Lee P

Aug 26, 2020

Fundamentals of improving presentation slides is all here.

For accessibility reasons e should not use block capitals, italics or 'fancy' fonts such as Times New Roman as some people have difficulty reading these. Also, extreme contrast such as black font on white background should be avoided for dyslexia sufferers and instead an off-white should be used.

If the course was updated to account for the latest accessibility research it would get 5 stars!

By Marten H

Apr 12, 2020

Interesting course material. Well structured courses per week. I found the slide design and visual design components the most useful, including items on graphs, tables, etc. A little too much focus on typefaces for me. I would have scored the course higher with if there were less English spelling mistakes in the material and less slides in the Russian language, giving this is a course taught in English.

By Alejandro C P

Oct 27, 2018

i only took the audit version but was very satisfied.

great course. very straightforward and easy to follow.

i definitely recommend it to both beginners and more advanced users who want to improve.

the only thing i didn’t like as much were some of the quizzes. they seemed to be too detailed sometimes and missed the main objective.

very good teacher as well. a down-to-earth person with great advice.

By Low H H

Oct 16, 2020

This is an excellent course and great instructor. I like Alexei Kapterev presentation skills, the step-by-step approach method and experiences sharing are added value.

Good reminder in this course: "When I'm working on a problem, I never think of beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know its wrong."

By Yuliia H

Oct 19, 2019

First week was too theoretical, I was about to stop doing this course. Luckily I didn't stop, as from second week course became really practical and visual. I recommend this course for people who needs to do presentations time to time but every time don't know from where to start.

By Preetinder J S

Mar 03, 2018

Course gives great insights regarding how to design the slides for better readability and understanding.Only thing that could have been to provide workbooks for every video and let people edit themselves with the help of steps explained in video.

By Prashant M

Jul 06, 2020

Quite a good course. It reminded me of a lot of tools, tips, and tricks that I had learned when I joined the consulting world.

I wish all those who mix all kinds of fonts on their decks take this course esp the part on typography.

By Alexander

Jul 17, 2020

I liked the course overall. Will definitely apply in work. Some things to improve: not all quizzes are very intuitive, for example Elon Musk deck. Otherwise was a pleasure and useful.

By Linda O

Aug 01, 2020

This is a great course. Even as a designer I learnt a lot on the basics of design. It goes deep into the little things that are often overlooked in a design course.

By Lourdes V

Mar 22, 2020

Great tool to improve the way of doing presentations. After that, your presentations will never be the same. Basic design tools and tips. I enjoyed it a lot!

By Shibu N V

Apr 19, 2020

Informative, short and precise with lot of self training aids. Must for all professionals novice in presentation, irrespective of their profession.