Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

MA

Dec 11, 2018

The course is amazing! Professor Plous has created very engaging content. I highly recommend the course for anyone ! I think this material should be taught in schools as a required course.

MV

Feb 18, 2019

Such an amazing course, the professor was brilliant and made lots of effort to help the learners have a fun, interactive time while learning. Would very highly recommend this course.

1 - 25 of 92 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Ian R

May 31, 2019

This was the best MOOC I have every done...and I have undertaken quite a number over the past few years. I find that, in many cases with MOOCS, the treatment of the subject is rather superficial. Not so here. The videos were really interesting, there was a substantial amount of reading directly related to each one and both covered the topics in some depth. I feel that I was really challenged in getting to grips with some of the concepts and I enjoyed this. The final exam, I found to be really testing and therefore passing on the first attempt provided a real sense of achievement. Overall the learning was very practical and I will be able to use this effectively in my daily interactions. Scott’s total commitment to his discipline came across loud and clear and this was an extra motivating factor for me. Only one suggestion for improvement. It would have been ideal to have had a short check-up quiz at the end of each week. This would have confirmed understanding of the topic for that week and would have provided some preparation for the final exam.

By Tanmay S P

May 19, 2019

I feel like taking time to rate this course the deserving 5 Star score. The professor is such a credible person and heads the biggest network of Psychology- SPN. The material provided is worth more than 70,000 Indian rupees. Thank you for making this available for no cost.

By Shivangi S

May 10, 2019

Professor Plous has made this course interesting with a number of additional videos, Ted talks and snapshot quiz. It is one of the best courses that I have taken on Coursera.

By Fetiya B

Nov 08, 2018

Learning so much and I'm only in week 1. It's untangled and clarified some of my own experiences and interactions in such an easy format with relevant and informative resources.

By DULCIE T

Jul 15, 2019

A very challenging but brilliant course.

By

Jul 14, 2019

very informative and simple.

By Natalia

Jul 14, 2019

Professor Plous is a great teacher, his lectures were very engaging

By Carrie L

Jul 13, 2019

Excellent course! Worth the time and effort! You learn very interesting things about how we as humans interact with one another and how our behavior is often controlled by circumstances outside of ourselves.

By Sattvik B

Jul 10, 2019

Excellent. Spread the positivity. This course allows us contemplate who we truly are. We are social creatures born to love and be loved. This course will remind you and give you many examples of how one can be positive and influence others in a positive way.

By laila k k

Jul 07, 2019

Full marks for an excellent course that makes me see myself and those around me in a totally different light, with better understanding. It has made me patient, less judgmental, more understanding.. changes I feel for the better.. To make sense of our biases, what an achievement. Or thin slicing, so much more.. what a great course indeed.... and taught in a particularly interesting manner by Professor Plous, making it easy for a layman to make perfect sense of complex thoughts. A brilliant experience indeed...

By Alejandro M R

Jul 03, 2019

I learned to see situations from a different perspective, to know my behavior individually and when in a group. The influence they exert on us and how we can influence to achieve a change. One of the tasks that I liked most was the automated interview, because at some point, I really believed that there was a person behind the monitor. I hope many more people take the course and enjoy it as much as I do.

By Bhoomi M

Jul 01, 2019

Loved the course! Never thought online learning could be so much fun

By Jonathan S

Jun 29, 2019

The instructor is clearly very motivated! I learned a lot of superinteresting things that actually help in real-life. I have to say that the course is more work than usual on Coursera - but it was more than worth it!

By Hasan R C

Jun 27, 2019

Wonderful course from a wonderful professor.

Thank you for your efforts.

By Pablo G A

Jun 22, 2019

Many thanks for creating this course. I learned many useful concepts about social psychology and these ideas help me a lot in daily life. I appreciate very much this course materials. Thanks from Madrid.

By Donna N

Jun 19, 2019

This was an extensive, well rounded and enjoyable course. Thank you for the considerable amount of work necessary to compile it all. The only disappointment was the reference material after each video, further reading and videos, had the majority of its listings as unclickable links (any with a title versus an actual web address).

By Marcos P

Jun 14, 2019

One of my all-time favorites. This course is incredibly insightful and offers many practical lessons. Prof. Scott Plous is super warm, knowledgeable, and engaging; it was a privilege having him as an instructor. I wish this course was taught at all schools; we'd have a so much better society if it was. 11/10 would recommend.

By Mustafa S

Jun 14, 2019

Easy, Joyful, inspirational and interesting

By Jennifer L

Jun 13, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and want to take more psychology classes online! I loved studying former experiments, and the self-discovery along the way. And I hope I will continue along a path toward being more compassionate due to the Day of Compassion assignment. A great class for anyone!

By Steven B

Jun 13, 2019

Very good course and the instructer makes it fun and engaging

By Iryna K

Jun 10, 2019

amazing course! learned so much

By 呂信德

Jun 05, 2019

JGFDFFFFDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDFR FNNNNNNNNNNNNREFAC GYUFEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDC CDE2EYVUFWTVYID C3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3E3EB GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGWHJKDN E4NODHFG4YUICVCRY4GFWEIO YRIIIIIIIIIII34OGFUDB YYYYYYYYY3GFIOG45O 46Y3HO0DGI3WU8FVX YU43IHD4U3XHJ9 4GRYFFFFFFFFFFFFFJKLZHYT FRV cy5cvh653w3qazsvgftr5vsAQq45GTRBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVBVWDIOWEWSW45GFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTRGFTR44

By Mantas Z

Jun 05, 2019

Thanks a lot. I had a great time and got interesting information. It will be very useful in my near future.

By Aditya K

May 31, 2019

A must do for the ones who want to get a good overview of the subject!

By michael w w

May 30, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. It’s but the tip of the iceberg, and I’m certain I will revisit things frequently. The lectures and course materials provided by Prof. Plous were excellent, and the background support (Sue L. ) was outstanding. Highly recommended !