Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV
Jun 12, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

PM
Aug 15, 2020

Professor Plous made me understand the lessons because he explained well all the lessons, and he provided enough information about the Social Psychology. More power to Coursera and Professor Plous :)

151 - 175 of 1,378 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Gerda V

The course was great. It broaden my views on lot of things, specially how to view on things differently as well as how to understand situations and society better. I loved Professor Plous's way of teaching and how he kept it interesting throughout the course and how he made it fun at the same time. The materials provided was a great resource and very insightful. Definitely will look out for more similar courses.

By Tünde S

Jun 13, 2020

I really enjoyed this course from the beginning to the end. Thanks for Professor Plous for putting together and presenting this course with so much enthusiasm. You activated my curiosity for this subject in a way that I am going to start a study Psychology at a university from the coming trimester. Thanks Coursera and everyone who gave me the opportunity to enrich my knowledge with the topics from this study.

By Nishita P

Aug 15, 2020

It was an amazing experience to be a part of this course! It teaches many many things about human mind, behavior,psychology, and most importantly how to use these social psychology dynamics to enrich our lives and that of others. It was one of the best learning experience I ever had. It encouraged me to take up psychology as a career and to be a learner. Thank you Professor Scott Plous and the entire team!

By Ebru D A

That was a wonderful experience that enhanced my knowledge about social psychology to a greater extent and contributed lots of things to my understanding and interpretation of social relationships between individuals and groups which was very important and valuable for me as a sociologist! Thank you for everything! I strongly recommend the people who are interested in this kind of topic to take this course!

By Maryna D

I loved loved loved this course! If you ever wondered why people behave in a certain way, sign up for this course and you'll get the answers to all your questions. The learning process was organized in a very convenient way, the lectures were intertaining and to the point. Professor Plous did a fantastic job creating this course. And it's for everyone, not just psycology professionals (I'm a IT specialist).

By samiksha k

Jul 5, 2020

One of the most interesting course I have ever done. I want to thank Professor Scott for this amazing course. my knowledge and experience have immensely increased. Also, the best part of the course was their discussion forums, I loved the forum. I greatly want to recommend to those who have a little bit of interest in psychology and want to get benefits in their personal life, relationship, and work life.

By Wanjun N

Sep 2, 2019

very informative, evidence-based and practical! i started off being curious of why people behave certain ways, i ended up understanding a whole lot more about myself, how i relate to others and many more social interaction. I cannot express my gratitude enough to Prof Plous and team for providing lay person like myself the opportunity to learn so much about the fascinatingly flawed mind of ours. Xie xie!

By Alejandro M R

Jul 2, 2019

I learned to see situations from a different perspective, to know my behavior individually and when in a group. The influence they exert on us and how we can influence to achieve a change. One of the tasks that I liked most was the automated interview, because at some point, I really believed that there was a person behind the monitor. I hope many more people take the course and enjoy it as much as I do.

By Stephen M

Mar 2, 2019

A very interesting and thought provoking course that explores human behavior, why we do the things we do, by looking at the individual AND situational factors. An amazing set of videos and course material, with lots of "what?!", "No way!" and "Wow" moments. And a big thanks to Professor Scott Plous for taking us through the course. Scott you are engaging, warm and make this course what it is...brilliant.

By Angie m

Sep 27, 2020

Speechless. Professor Scott Plous taught the course very well. The lectures with the pop questions feature are fun and enjoyable, the readings are very informative and the assignments make a difference in how you see how can social psychology affect our lives and the world. I feel that this course changed a part of me and I am excited to see how this change turns out. I am glad that I took this course.

By Jaroslavna P

This course is excellent: not only is it interesting, surprising, intellectually engaging, and fun but you can also feel that Prof. Plous has taken great care to desgin a course that would appeal to a variety of audiences and stimulate their minds. I have learnt so much about myself, my friends and foes, and the world around me. Thank you very much Prof. Plous, the mentors, and the whole Coursera team!

By guillem r r

May 3, 2020

This course is brilliant. I've always been interested in learning about general psychology and the content listed in this seven weeks is very interesting and appealing. Many of the concepts related to effects exposed in this course take place in everyday lives but I didn't know they're names, so this helps me in identificating them easier and therefore being able to apply social psychology minfulnessly

By Shalini F S

Apr 10, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and the engaging way it was taught. The curriculum provided extraordinary access to some of the greatest thinkers in the field. The bonus videos and international flavour of the course gave it such breadth. The concepts taught can be widely applied in many aspects of life. It was one of the most enriching online courses I've done and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

By Suryanshu C

Jun 8, 2020

This was the very first online course I ever took and I can totally say it was worth every penny of my time and money. The lectures were really interesting and informative. My perspective of how I saw the world totally changed after going through this course. All thanks to Prof. Scott Plous and Coursera for this wonderful opportunity. I would recommend everyone, who reads this, to take up this course.

By Rose K

Jul 4, 2020

This was the best class I have gone through both in person and online. The delivery was clear, precise, elaborate and captivating. The lessons are broken down to manageable session and structured to cover the topic enough allowing room for the student to digest and reflect. Kudos to Prof. Scott Plous, you made the lessons interesting and captivating. I will take another class with you again, anytime.

By Laura M M

Such a good course. I love every minute of it!

Thank you so much to Professor Plous. The way of teaching is highly creative, dynamic and fun.

The content is perfect, you learn a lot without noticing it, and that is not easy to do. Congratulations on making a perfect course.

THANK YOU.

P.S (for next students): whether you are thinking on enroll in this course…DO IT, believe me, you will not regret it.

By Blessing U

Jul 8, 2020

I considered myself absolutely blessed to have participated in this course offered by Prof. Scott Plous. It was educative, enlightening and life transforming. Its a way of life, reasoning and viewing the world. Its teachings has helped improve my relationship and will continue to do so. The course materials will always be useful in all aspect of the personal life, career development and relations.

By Reytasari P

Nov 2, 2020

What I absolutely love about this course is that it has loads of resources and access to leading psychology studies that are very useful for those who have very limited background on psychology. Prof. Plous is very insightful in every lecture and the discussion boards are so vibrant and fruitful. I also love how the assignments can help apply what we learned in this course in our daily lives.

By Shriniwas A

Jul 31, 2020

This course very informative and also entertaining at times ;-)

Professor Scott Plous is the best teacher you can get. It was a pleasure attending his class.

This course helps you understand the workings of people's minds and your own mind too. I would absolutely suggest this course to everyone. The assignments are fun and enlightening while not being too difficult or too time consuming.

By Amanda C

Jul 12, 2020

Incredibly interesting and well presented by Professor Scott Plous. As a novice to Social Psychology and someone who hasn't studied in a long time, I found the course easy to follow with lots of bonus material to sink your teeth into if you have the time. I feel that everybody in the whole world would greatly benefit from taking this course. Thank you Prof Plous and thank you Coursera.

By Mike G

Jun 1, 2020

Thank you Scott for an inspiring and exciting course. The peer grading was successful and highly valuable method of assessment. It gave me insights into many opinions of students from many and diverse Countries and cultures. It forums were invaluable allowing positive discussions and contact with course instructors also. Thank you once again for a fantastic course, For £48 a steal.

By Anna O

May 7, 2020

This is a truly great course with Ph Scott Plous crafting it to the next level. The course is very entertaining with plenty of video and graphic information. What I really loved is that the knowledge you get is super practical. I'd recommend it to not only general public but also professionals in marketing, digital marketing, PR and many more. Do not hesitate and start the course now!

By Julian R

Sep 4, 2020

Great introductory course to social psychology. The lectures, readings, and assignments are well-organized, clear, inclusive, and interesting. It provides many resources to learn the course's content while keeping you engaged and also to explore beyond what is taught in class. Many thanks to professor Plous for his good work on this great, interactive, and informative online course.

By Nadia J

Aug 23, 2020

Extremely interesting course! I am so pleased that I took this course, I've learned a lot about our society and myself. I think this course really open your eyes to the reality and it helps you use good technique to create greater good. Professor Plous is an expert on this course and the way he teaches is awesome. The staff of the course is amazing. Definitely recommend this course.

By Anna S V C

Jul 20, 2020

One of the best course I have ever taken! Thanks to Scott Plous and the team that made possible this course. I really value each of your efforts, the passion you have for the fields shows. I am really inspire by you, I did not only learn more about people for professional matters, but it made me a better person! Keep spreading this knowledge. Thank you so much. Greetings from Mexico