Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV
Jun 12, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

PM
Aug 15, 2020

Professor Plous made me understand the lessons because he explained well all the lessons, and he provided enough information about the Social Psychology. More power to Coursera and Professor Plous :)

176 - 200 of 1,372 Reviews for Social Psychology

By David R

Oct 6, 2019

Thank you Prof. Plous - this course you created be far exceeds any other MOOC (or even in-person course) I've ever attended. Your passion for the subject matter is pleasantly infectious and the learning curve is a steady, but gentle meander up towards a better understanding ourselves, others and society in general. Thanks again and may all go well with you and yours into the fut

By Novikov D S

Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much for this admirable course, it was the best educational time that I've ever had. I received enormous quantity of valuable information that I can use in ordinary life. Moreover I completely changed my way of thinking, attitudes, perception, behavior, etc. Will with a great pleasure continue studying this theme by reading Mayer's book and observing explorations.

By JOSEPH M

Apr 24, 2020

A great course for self realization and it was an experience rather than a course.It helped understand to a certain extend why we interact the way we do .The professor was really engaging and made the course very interesting through animations,interviews,experiments,great reading materials and even a bit of music.The peer graded assignments brought a life changing impact in me.

By Prof. A N

Jul 27, 2020

The Social Psychololgy course offered by Weslyean University is well structured and comprehensive. I learnt many things such as pursuation, the causes and forms of agression, causes and management of conflict, nature of prejudice and how it is nurtured etc.,

I highly recommend this course to all those who are interested in understanding oneself in relation the world we live in.

By Babak C

Jun 7, 2020

I really appreciate professor Scott Plous and his team for this enjoyable course. Also thank you Coursera for this great opportunity that you provide for us to pass this course.

In this course, I have learned a lot about social psychology and its connections with different topics such as climate change and lifestyle that will be very helpful in my future activities and choices.

By CHENTOUF M

Jun 5, 2020

Hello,

I would like to thank Pr. Scott Plous for this wonderful course that was among the best MOOCs I have ever taken. The content was well designed and very rich which enabled me to learn new insights and explore various perspectives regarding the dynamic area of social psychology. I think this field is able to promote more love, peace, and mutual understanding in our world.

By Usha M K

May 3, 2020

Excellent course, with the best instructor. Thank you Professor Plous for always having a happy countenance and making this learning experience more enjoyable and interesting. Every concept is well explained, the course is modeled perfectly with the right pop up questions, assignments and healthy discussions in the forums that keep us engaged. I highly recommend this course!

By Katherine K

Jul 19, 2020

I took two psychology units during my university years. I liked the material then, but the lecturer was not able to deliver it comprehensively. This course, however, was great for touching on various topics concerning society and human nature. I found the assignments purposeful and creative. Thank you for putting all the hard work to make this available as an online course!

By Christopher O

Jul 12, 2020

This is a fantastic and well designed course. The course Leader Scott is friendly, fun and I am going to miss his energy and fun attitude. Some of the course touches on important studies in Psychology. This is useful to anyone as it can be used in daily life to improve yourself and your relationship with others, as well as help you understand why things happen in the world.

By Juan J S G

Jun 11, 2020

It is not my first course through coursera and it will definitely not be my last. For now it is the best I have studied through this platform, the teacher has spent long hours preparing the 7 weeks of content, there is a wide variety of content to lean on and whether or not you have prior knowledge in the field of social psychology is interesting. Congratulations professor!

By Samantha L A C

Really interesting and engaging material. The videos use a good mix of materials, such as animations, TED talk excerpts, and pictures that contribute nicely to the topics being discussed. The assignments are also varied and connect well to the topics. The professor seems to enjoy teaching and that also makes a positive impact. Overall, I would highly recommend this course.

By Chryseis N

Jun 18, 2020

I didn't want this course to end. One learns a lot, it really provided abundant materials - videos, readings, guest lectures; the assignments are also so well designed that you get much out of them. You can feel the care taken about all the aspects of the course from being interesting to promoting good social values. Thank you, Professor Scott Plous, to you and your team.

By Shubham P

Apr 23, 2020

The course content is beautifully designed. Even a person having no background of Psychology subject can easily learn. I sincerely thanks Prof Scott Plous for creating my interest in the subject. It is an award winning course content. I also sincerely thanks COURSERA for providing such a beautiful platform for online studies. You are the best companion in this Lock-down.

By Rodica B

Jul 28, 2020

Thank you very much for a really amazing course! In fact, I personally feel that it is one of the courses that has the biggest impact, at least for me. It opened my eyes to see how things really work in human society. It seems that this information should be learned by everyone from an early age. I belive that this can be the way the world can become a better place.

By Thanyanuch T

Aug 2, 2020

Outstanding. The course contents cover very useful topics about the relevance of psychology in an everyday life. It requires serious commitment from the student in terms of assigned materials and weekly assignments. However, the hard works are justified considering a great amount of care given to the creative teachings and the marvelously curated course materials.

By Karen N M V

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn with you.

Each of the topics and readings gave me information that has changed my perception of many things.

I will apply everything in my work (customer service)

The course is dense in terms of content but I have recommended it with my friends.

Thanks to all the Plous team. Wesleyan's courses have not disappointed me.

By Tracie T

Jun 3, 2020

I loved this course and Dr. Plouse. I feel like I learned so much and it was enjoyable and kept me engaged. I signed up for this course as a requirement for continuing education for my job. I honestly thought it was going to be a lot easier than it was lol but it wasn't just another BS internet course. I would definitely take another course on Consera.

Tracie T.

By Nguyen D N L

Aug 18, 2020

This course is amazing, fantastic, incredible. I admire Professor a lot, I like the way he teaches and the assignments each week are so interesting. Attending the course brings me so many new and wonderful things. Many thanks to Professor, the generosity of guest video/documents, the mentor in the discussion forums, and all the things that you guys teach me.

By Ashwathi N

Jun 15, 2020

Being an engineering student, I felt I would have a tough time coping up with the subjects pertaining to Psychology and adjusting to the course assignments, however my journey throughout the course has been marvelous. I look forward to establishing a career in Cognitive Psychology and there could not have been a better impetus to my journey than this course.

By Parth L

Jun 18, 2020

An amazing course put together with a clear chain of thought. The course material was perfectly complementing the videos and the teaching was way above par. I always wanted to explore a subject like social psychology which was far out of my comfort zone, and i'm certain i couldn't have found a better MOOC online. Thank you Dr. Plous and Wesleyan University.

By Onisha C

Oct 5, 2020

Its been a wonderful experience being enrolled in this course, a special thanks to professor plous for conducting the course in a engaging, interactive and informative manner. I have learnt so many new things, not to mention the course content is well put together and delivered and also thanks to the mentors for their guidance and support with challenges.

By Rinky B

Jul 25, 2019

Everybody needs to take this course. It simply is that essential. Not only for personal betterment and our daily lives but also as a society. We owe it to eat other and our future generations to come, to provide them a better social environment, in what they can flourish. I am gonna suggest this course to every single soul i know,who could benefit by it.

By Simon B

This course felt like a thorough introduction to social psychology. The subject matter is well taught by Professor Plous, who is enthusiastic and knowledgable, and uses the online medium of Coursera to his advantage. I highly recommend this course for individuals who are curious about social psychology and have little previous experience with the topic.

By Sivakumar S

May 4, 2020

Wonderful Course. I wish to thank Prof. Scot Plous and his team in Wesleyan for this well designed course. The active Discussion Forms, ably supported by the Staffs & Mentors along with the co-students, made it interactive and felt like a real course with interactions. I would strongly recommend this course if you are interested in Psychology. Cheers.

By Khanh V L N

Jul 9, 2020

A great start for students who interests in Social Psychology. The course involves a lot of materials concerning common bias and normal psychological human functioning, accompanied by understandable concepts and examples. Various experiments are mentioned to elucidate the psychological foundation of the materials, most of them remain valid these days.