Back to Software Security

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Software Security by University of Maryland, College Park

This course we will explore the foundations of software security. We will consider important software vulnerabilities and attacks that exploit them -- such as buffer overflows, SQL injection, and session hijacking -- and we will consider defenses that prevent or mitigate these attacks, including advanced testing and program analysis techniques. Importantly, we take a "build security in" mentality, considering techniques at each phase of the development cycle that can be used to strengthen the security of software systems. Successful learners in this course typically have completed sophomore/junior-level undergraduate work in a technical field, have some familiarity with programming, ideally in C/C++ and one other "managed" program language (like ML or Java), and have prior exposure to algorithms. Students not familiar with these languages but with others can improve their skills through online web tutorials....

GB

May 27, 2019

Was prepared and presented in a very special and superb way. I am glad I took and completed it. Thanks to my tutor Michael Hicks and special appreciation to coursera for making this possible for me.

PR

Nov 20, 2016

Content is really valuable and actionable with a specific comeback for the student in terms of secure development, security and how to understand the origin of exploits and other cyber attacks

1 - 25 of 200 Reviews for Software Security

By hmka

Sep 16, 2018

The course is impressively well-structured and organised. When I came to know about MIT's OCW's Computer Security course, I was eagerly hoping it gets included in as a Mooc. After taking this course, I believe it's on the same par.

Software Security is intended for a more advanced audience compared to usable security. Mainly, those who have some modest experience with programming and are aiming to apply security designs and implementations to their code. Moreover, it gives you a good idea, backed up with labs, about security in domains like web application, low-level systems, penetration testing, etc, good enough for someone to choose which one to pursue a career in.

By Dmitry T

May 09, 2016

The course of this kind was extremely needed, still in it's current state it contains lots of inaccuracies in lectures and quizes. I hope they will be fixed up to the future sessions.

By Ken V H N

Oct 19, 2016

Week 5 about program analysis and is very interesting and many concepts are new to me. This is also a very well structured course. I had a great time studying it. Thanks, Mike.

By Anish B

Sep 05, 2019

More practical based, with updated systems could have been helpful...

By Muhammad A N

Feb 25, 2019

Good

By Zeming Z

Feb 10, 2019

prefect

By Roberto T D

Mar 21, 2019

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm very glad to have participate in this course. I'm learned so many new things! And I think it's really a very interesting area. I'm mostly a developer, although last years I've been learning many aspects related to Cybersecurity, ethical hacking and pentesting (I'm CompTIA Security + and CEH, but I'm a newbie), and curiously (and sadly) I hadn't ever heard about secure software developing techniques explained here in almost 20 years of career. So, I'm very proud to know them now. Congratulations! It has been tough for me on certain points, but I've enjoyed it very much!!

By Muhammad F b S

Dec 05, 2018

Lecturer is awesome!

By IYAPPAN V

Feb 06, 2019

good teaching

By Rishikesh

Aug 27, 2016

Excellent course. Good mix of theory & practical. Covers all aspects including vulnerability, detection, prevention, secure coding.

By David K

Jun 06, 2016

Very good course. Does require a significant amount of commitment, I would put it at 10-12 hours per week if you're to do things properly. I think if you give it a lot you'll get a lot from it in return. It's very interesting and engaging with clear explanations throughout.

By Priyank R

Jun 06, 2017

Great course. A lot of developers or Tech Leads should take this course as they need to understand concepts related to Software Security. Very crucial.

By Aleksandr E

May 06, 2017

Strongly recommend it for all software developers!

By Saimir K

Nov 06, 2016

very good overview

By Amit R

Apr 09, 2017

This is among the best courses i have taken on Coursera. Thank you so much Prof. Michael Hicks.

Regards

Amit

By Filadelfo F

Oct 19, 2016

Very interesting and useful course to get involved in the software security.

By Baskoro A P

May 30, 2016

The project is very helpful to understand the course material

By Apti U

Dec 20, 2016

Really solid info about modern state of low level exploitation. Thank you

By Nimit

Jun 09, 2016

A great primer for the field of software security!

By Guilherme V H

Aug 11, 2016

Incredible course! Very recommended!

By Alex B

Jun 09, 2017

Really interesting materials, specially the week 5. Lots of information to research and improve.

By Pablo A R

Nov 20, 2016

By Pavel N

Apr 01, 2018

Good course with wide range of important topics. I can recommend this course as introduction before further specialization. (low-level programming, sw testing, web security)

By shabbyowen

Aug 09, 2016

A good introduction .course to security covering a lot of topics

By Yuval G

Oct 08, 2016

I found this course very effective, i liked it very much. it provides an overview of all the major topics of Software Security and more important, gives the knowledge and tools to dive deeply into it by yourself using several grate things this course provides: Reading recommendations before each lesson, VM projects and interesting interviews with experts on each field.

The homework were challenging enough and covered pretty much all the topics, and the videos were in high quality and well organized.

I strongly recommend this course to any Software developer