Back to Software Security

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Software Security by University of Maryland, College Park

This course we will explore the foundations of software security. We will consider important software vulnerabilities and attacks that exploit them -- such as buffer overflows, SQL injection, and session hijacking -- and we will consider defenses that prevent or mitigate these attacks, including advanced testing and program analysis techniques. Importantly, we take a "build security in" mentality, considering techniques at each phase of the development cycle that can be used to strengthen the security of software systems. Successful learners in this course typically have completed sophomore/junior-level undergraduate work in a technical field, have some familiarity with programming, ideally in C/C++ and one other "managed" program language (like ML or Java), and have prior exposure to algorithms. Students not familiar with these languages but with others can improve their skills through online web tutorials....

GB
May 26, 2019

Was prepared and presented in a very special and superb way. I am glad I took and completed it. Thanks to my tutor Michael Hicks and special appreciation to coursera for making this possible for me.

PR
Nov 19, 2016

Content is really valuable and actionable with a specific comeback for the student in terms of secure development, security and how to understand the origin of exploits and other cyber attacks

76 - 100 of 264 Reviews for Software Security

By Dario G

Aug 12, 2016

Loved the way the material was presented. The homework projects were amazingly insightful, too!

By Radoslaw K

Aug 9, 2018

Great introduction to broad range of cybersecurity attacks and ways to protect the programs.

By Cedric D B

Aug 8, 2017

Great course.

Unfortunately it is already a few years old, so some of the facts are outdated.

By Kevin Z

Lectures are clear and useful. Projects are very interesting and inspire me thinking a lot.

By Trivikram P

Nov 18, 2016

Great course. Intensive yet informative and extremely critical for any software developer

By Yenier V

Apr 1, 2018

Es un gran curso que aporta valioso conocimiento para el desarrollo de software seguro.

By Primanshu

Nov 4, 2020

It has been a great learning experience. I am very delighted to complete this course.

By Amit B

Sep 15, 2018

Excellent. Was able to review the course and catch up my peers in a security course.

By Fahad Y A F

May 11, 2016

this course cover every thing in Software Security and make my knowledge different .

By Aleksandr G

Aug 1, 2020

I believe that this is one of the best course on software security I've ever seen.

By Varad D

Sep 13, 2017

An excellent course. A good introduction to the fundamentals of software security.

By Sujata S

Aug 14, 2017

The course was really challenging. I would definitely recommend it for my friends.

By Saksham A

Oct 14, 2018

This was a good course, I learned a lot from it. Instructor and guest interviews.

By zshowing

Jan 23, 2018

Nice class with very challenging yet interesting homework. Learned a lot. Thanks!

By David F V

Sep 18, 2016

Very good course for strenghtening the basis for a deeper cybersecurity learning.

By Rishabh M

Apr 20, 2020

Amazing course with detailed knowledge and absolutely great hands-on experience!

By Omar A A

Feb 4, 2018

excellent course have a huge amount of security information i liked this course

By Federico F

Jul 9, 2020

Excellent! I really enjoyed this course and I have learned a lot of new stuff.

By Pawan K

It is full package of knowledge of software security..Go Ahead for this course

By Arin D

May 24, 2016

Its just a perfect course for any beginners....thank u sooo much coursera...!!

By FERNANDO G C Q

Nov 5, 2017

muy buen curso , lo que si vean la posibilidad de tener subtitulos en español

By David E

Apr 21, 2017

Very engaging course. Great projects and excellent presentation overall.

By Filadelfo F

Oct 19, 2016

Very interesting and useful course to get involved in the software security.

By HESHAM E

Sep 11, 2018

It's a great a course but if there any lab practice like CTF will be great

By Apti U

Dec 20, 2016

Really solid info about modern state of low level exploitation. Thank you