Back to Software Security

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Software Security by University of Maryland, College Park

This course we will explore the foundations of software security. We will consider important software vulnerabilities and attacks that exploit them -- such as buffer overflows, SQL injection, and session hijacking -- and we will consider defenses that prevent or mitigate these attacks, including advanced testing and program analysis techniques. Importantly, we take a "build security in" mentality, considering techniques at each phase of the development cycle that can be used to strengthen the security of software systems. Successful learners in this course typically have completed sophomore/junior-level undergraduate work in a technical field, have some familiarity with programming, ideally in C/C++ and one other "managed" program language (like ML or Java), and have prior exposure to algorithms. Students not familiar with these languages but with others can improve their skills through online web tutorials....

GB
May 26, 2019

Was prepared and presented in a very special and superb way. I am glad I took and completed it. Thanks to my tutor Michael Hicks and special appreciation to coursera for making this possible for me.

PR
Nov 19, 2016

Content is really valuable and actionable with a specific comeback for the student in terms of secure development, security and how to understand the origin of exploits and other cyber attacks

76 - 100 of 292 Reviews for Software Security

By Sebastian W

May 22, 2017

Great course. Everything is well designed and explained. Projects and interviews are very good idea also.

By Praveen K S

Feb 4, 2020

I Learned lot of things about security field and some specific topic are in depth and i learned a lot

By Eddy T

Oct 23, 2020

I had learned alot from this course, being able to know the security aspect in software environment.

By Veronika Z

Sep 24, 2018

Awesome course, very helpful, enjoyed it very much. Gives hands-on experience, thank you very much!

By Alex B

Jun 8, 2017

Really interesting materials, specially the week 5. Lots of information to research and improve.

By Dario G

Aug 12, 2016

Loved the way the material was presented. The homework projects were amazingly insightful, too!

By Pooja k

May 23, 2021

I love to learn with the talented faculties of Coursera, they are awesome. Thank you coursera.

By Radoslaw K

Aug 9, 2018

Great introduction to broad range of cybersecurity attacks and ways to protect the programs.

By Cedric D B

Aug 8, 2017

Great course.

Unfortunately it is already a few years old, so some of the facts are outdated.

By Kevin Z

Lectures are clear and useful. Projects are very interesting and inspire me thinking a lot.

By Trivikram P

Nov 18, 2016

Great course. Intensive yet informative and extremely critical for any software developer

By Yenier V

Apr 1, 2018

Es un gran curso que aporta valioso conocimiento para el desarrollo de software seguro.

By Ro g

Mar 28, 2021

소프트웨어 보안에 대한 기초지식과 폭넓은 이해에 도움이 되었습니다.

특히 VM환경에서 실습은 이론적인 것 뿐 아니라 , 실제적으로도 많은 도움을 받았습니다.

By Steffen K

u

r

s

e

I finally understood how stack smashing and nop-sledges work!

By Primanshu

Nov 4, 2020

It has been a great learning experience. I am very delighted to complete this course.

By Andi S R

Mar 13, 2021

I just missed to see more recent attacks and vulnerabilities analyzed and explained.

By Amit B

Sep 15, 2018

Excellent. Was able to review the course and catch up my peers in a security course.

By Fahad Y A F

May 11, 2016

this course cover every thing in Software Security and make my knowledge different .

By Gurram P 1

Apr 20, 2021

I will recommend this course to everyone as it has a plenty of new things to learn.

By Aleksandr G

Aug 1, 2020

I believe that this is one of the best course on software security I've ever seen.

By Varad D

Sep 13, 2017

An excellent course. A good introduction to the fundamentals of software security.

By Sujata S

Aug 14, 2017

The course was really challenging. I would definitely recommend it for my friends.

By Saksham A

Oct 14, 2018

This was a good course, I learned a lot from it. Instructor and guest interviews.

By Showing J

Jan 23, 2018

Nice class with very challenging yet interesting homework. Learned a lot. Thanks!

By David F V

Sep 18, 2016

Very good course for strenghtening the basis for a deeper cybersecurity learning.