Back to Geospatial and Environmental Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Geospatial and Environmental Analysis by University of California, Davis

Apply your GIS knowledge in this course on geospatial analysis, focusing on analysis tools, 3D data, working with rasters, projections, and environment variables. Through all four weeks of this course, we'll work through a project together - something unique to this course - from project conception, through data retrieval, initial data management and processing, and finally to our analysis products. In this class you will learn the fundamentals of geospatial and environmental analysis during four week-long modules: Week 1: Tour ArcToolbox and learn how to use common geospatial analysis tools built into ArcGIS Week 2: Gain a working understanding of raster data models: symbolize, reproject, overlay, and assess rasters. Take a detour into 3D data models, and interpolation of observations into 3D surfaces and rasters Week 3: Go in-depth on projections and coordinate systems, which are foundational to all GIS. Learn how to use environment variables to constrain your analyses and get better quality data products. Week 4: Expand your knowledge of symbology. Learn how to visually display your data by classifying it in logical groupings and then symbolizing it on your map. Take Geospatial and Environmental Analysis as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. You should have equivalent experience to completing the first and second courses in this specialization, "Fundamentals of GIS" and "GIS Data Formats, Design, and Quality", before taking this course. By completing this third class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program....

MH

May 12, 2020

The course content of this course is awesome and the way of explanation also. Those who want to make carrier in this field of GIS or Environment Analyst for them this is a good platform to learn.

AA

May 05, 2019

Like the previous courses on this specialization, this course is well prepared, the lectures are clear and the assignments designed to reinforce the learner's skills. I have really enjoyed it.

26 - 50 of 195 Reviews for Geospatial and Environmental Analysis

By Miguel I

Dec 13, 2019

I taught myself GIS using QGIS with various online resources. I took this course to have my first structured training on GIS and to be familiar with ArcMap. Now, I'm making maps on the side using ArcMap. The course is fairly easy if you already have experience with GIS. The additional exercises are really helpful too. One con is that there are times that despite doing 100% everything on the video, you end up with a different result. It's a pro in a way that it helps you troubleshoot GIS issues. Also, props to Nick (instructor) for replying both on the discussion page and my email about some missing data. He is also a clear and direct speaker and explains the nuances of doing this and that. Worth the payment!

By Lesley D

Jul 25, 2016

I enjoyed the course very much but found the assignment very frustrating. Despite trying numerous ways with the data provided I did not get the same map coverage as the instructor and there was no explanation as to what I might have done differently despite a number of people asking the same question in the forums. It was still possible to get full marks without but it would have been more satisfying to get the same answer.

By Asif N

Oct 30, 2016

Good chance for learners to indulge more practically than just theoretical work.

By Blake S

Feb 20, 2020

This course is a wonderful exploration of some of the tools at the disposal of a GIS practitioner. Nick provided wonderful applicable examples and did a great job clearly explaining the process of doing, and the processes behind doing many of the geospatial analysis functions available through Arc GIS. The only issue with the class was the use of Arc Desktop instead of Arc Pro. The benefit of this was the value in seeing the stripped down GUI behind the scenes of many of the more user friendly functions of Pro. However, with industry standards moving towards Pro, it would have been nice to get more experience on the platform that many of us will probably be using in the field.

By Nihal A

Aug 15, 2020

Excellent course, the content was a lot, more than all the other courses in the specialisation. I recommend if you do this course allocate more time than recommended. this is because There is practice data included with most of the lectures which you can use to follow. Also, the content for projections and datum is much harder to understand and you'll be watching lectures twice.

The practise assignments and the final peer review assignment where all excellent.

By Bojan C

Sep 15, 2016

This was very demanding course for me. However, at the end that is the only way one can learn things properly. Video lessons are interesting as well as exercises, and the tools and workflows that have been shown to us have been very clearly explained and demonstrated. I hope I will be able to continue with next course in a row and finally finish Capstone Project and earn the Certificate.

By Pratyush

Jul 12, 2017

This course was very interesting and the final assignment was quite challenging although we had been provided with sufficient knowledge on how to do the analysis, there is always a difference between knowing the formula and doing the formula.

Anyway, the practice materials and demo data provided was quite good enough to get the understanding of doing an analysis.

Thanks Nick

By Alexander W

Jul 04, 2018

Excellent way to learn GIS, challenging but very rewarding class. Nick does a great job integrating many tools and data analysis techniques in real-world situations. These classes are definitely for anyone who wants to try to apply themselves and learn GIS skills. I really like the grading structure and how the course is scheduled through the month. Cheers!

By Kabral M A

Aug 17, 2020

I do not know what to say, it is really life change study I gain from this course, I develop confidence and know what I can do with Geospatial and Environmental Analysis. The Instructor is number one, he knows how to convey the message and the practical assignment is really helpful, so I want to say thank you for my Instructor and the coursera team.

By BELTRAN

Aug 05, 2020

This is one of the best course ever made! The amount of work, dedication, will really improve the learning curve, if you are those who never give up learning data analysis, putting in practice the core of GIS, this is the course! welcome, you will find outstanding lectures that apply to every day work, prof. Nick is outstanding in this regards.

By Jose B

Aug 27, 2019

Nick has hit it out of the ballpark again. The information provided was very powerful, and it was explained in clear and concise way. Some of the topics seemed slightly out of place when first presented, but it all came together in the final project. Learned a lot from the course. Kudos to the instructor and the UC Davis team.

By Simon D

Jun 21, 2018

The courses for this specialism have been very good, I have learned so much already that I can put into practice. It did take some time to get to grips with the final project, I was told I was over thinking things. Thanks Nick for another great course, will see you for the next one once I get the mountain of work out of the way.

By Lucia F

Apr 20, 2018

Nice course part of the specialisation. The final assessment was a bit confusing and then, the review criteria did not take into account some of the 'products' we had to do according to the instructions. It was almost like you could have submit whatever. Anyway, I do not work in that way so I did it right. that is why 5 stars.

By Rastko P

May 02, 2020

Nick is an outstanding lecturer, so it was a pleasure following the course. Aside from his personal qualities, what is of great importance is the fact that the course is set in such a manner that the attendee gets an adequate upgrade from lesson to lesson, leading to the final result.

By Laura E P

Jul 19, 2020

I really like how you work through a project from finding data to presenting the final product in this course. Building off the previous 2 courses this one really puts the pieces together and gives you the confidence to work with both vector and raster datasets.

By Shwahibu M

Jun 15, 2017

I am real thankful and joyful for this accomplishment! though challenging but I made it, for those who are yet to decide to get enrolled to this course I encourage you not to hesitate any more, it is a great course to make you more comfortable as a GIS analyst.

By Ziyi W

May 23, 2019

Wow, the Geospatial and Environmental Analysis course has an impressively deep coverage of GIS knowledge! I truly learned a voracious number of useful skills. I also enjoyed the additional videos on how to design and conduct a project in GIS. Excellent course!

By Nick J

Apr 27, 2020

This course is more difficult then the other two that came before this in the specialization. I stopped a couple of times, and started over agian a few times. Today, i finialy finished it with a perfect score! It has been an absolutely amazing experience.

By Tulaci B

Oct 30, 2017

O curso foi muito surpreendente para mim, apesar de conhecer algumas das ferramentas, a forma de trabalho foi muito importante e as maneiras de usá-las para análises que pode em muito contribuir para quem deseja fazer mais com estudos em geoprocessamento.

By Akhil C

Sep 08, 2018

I have learned GIS from many platform and all of them were based on vector analysis. This particular course was based on raster analysis which takes you altogether to a new dimension of GIS. Overall, I am more than satisfied with this course

By Jafed E G

Jul 06, 2019

By Garima

Aug 27, 2018

This was overall an amazing course. It was a bit different from other course especially the final assignment which lay more stress on raster analysis than vector analysis. Overall, I am personally more than satisfied with this course.

By Benjamin S

May 16, 2018

This series continues to be a good introduction to the capabilities of ArcGIS. The videos are laid out in a progression that makes sense and the final assignment does a good job of incorporating the major points from the videos.

By Fabian S

Jul 29, 2020

I enjoyed every aspect of this class. The teaching and lessons learned are vital to establishing a solid career foundation in GIS. Thank you Mr. Santos for setting up the curriculum and taking the time to teach this lesson.

By Md. T H

Courses like these are some of the best Coursera has to offer. Well recorded video lecture, high quality practice materials and questions involving real world problems make this course a great learning tool