Back to Sports and Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sports and Society by Duke University

Sports play a giant role in contemporary society worldwide. But few of us pause to think about the larger questions of money, politics, race, sex, culture, and commercialization that surround sports everywhere. This course draws on the tools of anthropology, sociology, history, and other disciplines to give you new perspectives on the games we watch and play. It's the new and improved version of Professor Orin Starn's original "Sports and Society" for Coursera, which drew more than 40,000 students. We will focus on both popular sports like soccer (or “football,” as anyone outside America calls it), basketball, and baseball, and also lesser-known ones like mountain-climbing and fishing. You will never watch or think about sports in the same way again....

MM

Nov 12, 2016

I loved this particular course. The topics are relevant. Each topic is supported by historical facts and examples and how is it relevant in the present time. It was a great learning experience!!!

LK

Jan 07, 2020

One of the best courses that mixed interesting facts with theories. I study sports management, it's really intriguing to see how sports social values entwined with each other in history!

26 - 50 of 135 Reviews for Sports and Society

By Maithili M

Nov 12, 2016

By Liu K

Jan 07, 2020

By Ashwien H

Dec 30, 2019

I got insight in a whole new part of sports. I am a sports journalist, but did not know in depth about extreme sports and USA based sports, such as American Football and Baseball

By Liam S

Dec 10, 2018

Professor Starn gives insight into the sports world and explains complex topics using anthropological reasoning in a way that makes sense to the average person. Great class!

By Ed G

Sep 28, 2019

I absolutely loved this course. This is my favorite course I've taken with Coursera by far. The instructor was phenomenal and relatable. I highly recommend this course.

By Ana E T H

Feb 06, 2018

Excellent course!

I enjoyed the course because it goes deep enough into the topics for begginers...

I specially liked the video about corporate athletes.

I'm a soccer fan!

By Luv R A

Mar 21, 2018

I really got some new insights about sports and how the climate of sports has changed and some really good facts about sport.

Thanks for the lovely lectures Mr. Orin!

By Rohan P

May 12, 2020

An excellent course! Learned a lot! Genuinely disappointed that it's over. Wish the course was longer. I hope there is a part 2 or something like that. Brilliant!

By Michael R

Videos were awesome and readings were still applicable even in 2020. Only feedback would be update some of the readings to more current and a section on E-Sports.

By Joshua J F

Jun 13, 2017

The content and delivery of the course were excellent. Professor Orin Starn is a star educator: knowledgeable, entertaining, funny, engaging, and very accessible.

By Timothy T

Sep 10, 2019

Very interesting and a lot of great information. Easy to pick up and learn, and get through it to broaden my knowledge of sports! Had a great time learning.

By Andrew V

Apr 08, 2017

This course was very good and well structured. Professor is very professional. I get a lot inmportant information and many fun moments. Thank you so much

By Anne M v B

Apr 25, 2018

I really enjoyed the course! I feel it touches all of the subjects around sports and helps you understand the evolution and impact they have in society.

By Willard J

May 24, 2019

Really great course that explores the various ways sports have an impact and are reflections of human society and various cultures. Really interesting!

By Eiji J L A

May 22, 2020

Excelente curso, excelente material, super entendible y agradable. Muchas gracias a todo el equipo que hizo posible tremendo curso!. Felicitaciones!

By Yash C

Nov 11, 2017

ABsolutely loved the course, Dr. Starn's words are very intricate and have taught me very well. Looking forward to more classes by him on coursera.

By varun h

May 07, 2020

This course was really helpful in order to understand the various different aspects of different types of sports.Prof. Orin was simply amazing.

By Tim H

Sep 13, 2019

Great course that brought to light something we watch and do everyday but without knowing the history of it. Look forward to further courses.

By ADITYA S

May 27, 2018

The course covers every aspect on which the modern sports foundation have been laid. Many thanks to Mr. Orin for sharing his knowledge to us.

By Pietro R

Jan 12, 2017

The teacher is quite engaging, the man has showmanship! Add that the content is really interesting and you get a 5 stars course. Recommended!

By Annigje F

Jan 21, 2016

Great course! Basic info on how sports were, and are, looked at from a society point of view. Broad information about many various subjects.

By Carlos A M P

Jul 04, 2017

This is a great journey with the great Orin Starn's guide through the history and different perspectives of sports in the human history.

By Abhishek G

Sep 01, 2017

This course has given me a whole new perspective of looking at Sports now. It's been enriching, informative & insightful. Thank You!

By Nabil S

Apr 25, 2020

I am a sports management professional and I have completed my MBA in Sports Management even then I learnt a lot from this course.

By Víctor H M A

Oct 10, 2016

Fantastic humanistic approach, very well designed and above all the passion of the professor Starn is fundamental! great job!