Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Databases and SQL for Data Science by IBM

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

BS

Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!

PK

Aug 20, 2020

A very useful course with some very interesting datasets/Jupyter notebooks to work through/practice your skills. Offers a good balanced blend between theory and practical/practice. Very good course!

101 - 125 of 1,356 Reviews for Databases and SQL for Data Science

By Sagarika S

Jul 08, 2020

This course is really amazing. With hands-on lab you will be able to master in SQL. I would like to recommend this course to everyone who wants to learn SQL from the beginning as well as to them who want to improve their SQL skill. Thank You, Rav Ahuja and Coursera for providing such valuable knowledge.

By Md. A A J

Mar 27, 2020

It's a great opportunity for me to learn Db2 on IBM cloud using Python, Jupiter notebook, SQL and relational database. Example cases, practice lab and final peer reviewed assignments are brilliant!!

Thanks courser for developing this interactive module to learn database and SQL on Db2 platform.

Ashfaque

By Benjamin H

Jun 26, 2019

I wanted to learn a little bit of everything about SQL queries and I found exactly what I was looking for. The lessons were quick, packed with information and challenging. When I combine this knowledge with what I have already learned in Python I feel like I am well on my way to bigger projects.

By Tam D

Mar 07, 2019

Great content. Delivered in a format that would get you from no SQL knowledge to querying real world data sets in a few weeks. Off course, as with everything, you would need more practice to develop your skills. This course definitely provides the foundation for that additional practice.

By ADARSH K P

Feb 13, 2020

very good course and lot of labs to practice yourself..if you are new to database or sql then this is for you it has some extra information explaining some of the jargons used in database system.

I'am just a fan of Coursera and the way of teaching, i am very satisfied with this course.

By Vivek G

Mar 06, 2020

Brilliant Course, I have learned so much and found a new passion for SQL. The best part of this was the real world data that we work with and the way the hands-on sessions, particularly the ones in Week 4 are. They guide you in a way that you learn how to develop queries...great fun.

By Jonathan W

May 05, 2020

Der Kurz hat mir sehr geholfen, mit SQL Datenbanken mehr vertraut zu werden. Besonders hilfreich war die Mischung zwischen Theorie Input und den Hands-On Labs. Somit konnte ich erste Erfahrung im SQL Queries schreiben sammeln und mit den Tools für Datenbanken arbeiten. Sehr gut.

By shikha k

Oct 26, 2018

Databases and SQL for Data Science is great course for all those, who are eager to learn SQL. It was great a experience to run a SQL Query on IBM Cloud also on Jupiter. The course content covers almost every corners. I will highly recommend this course to anyone wanna learn SQL.

By KD 7

Aug 21, 2020

In-depth course for SQL. This was very well planned understanding the mindset of a New Be. One needs to practice the concepts like once in three days to be on the toes. Thank you Coursera and all Professors who made this possible! Hoping to meet you again on the next course.

By Aseel A H

Apr 08, 2020

A while back, I had taken my first Database and SQL course in university so this course was a great reinforcement of my existing knowledge while expanding on some concepts and using new tools I was not familiar with. So thank you dear instructors for this excellent course!

By Edward K

May 01, 2019

Phenomenal in-course assignments and notebooks to test, learn, and try out code with in-depth instructions (read: screenshots) and explanations! The videos are also really helpful for understanding databases and the "save note" function is well done. Thank you IBM team!!

By Esteban J R

Mar 09, 2020

The course is an excellent introduction to SQL.

All the materials are provided to you, so all you need is a computer and an internet connection.

I think you can get the most of it if you are already familiar with some basic concepts of data science and data structures.

By Aman S T

Apr 19, 2020

This was a nice course and I learned a lot. Knowing database language is must to beome sucessful data scientist and this course will teach you everything you should know to gey started with sql. I highly recommend this course to enroll and learn something from this.

By Jason J D

Aug 31, 2019

Very good course for SQL and Databases. Goes through the concepts of Databases, SQL, how to access data from Databases using Python, and SQL Magic. The course content is good and the labs are amazing. Anyone who aspires to work with Databases should try this course!

By Hitesh R

Feb 19, 2020

I liked this course. It was really informative and helpful. I would like to see you guys coming up with another course teaching about how to collect data from different sources if it is not readily available as .csv file.

Thank you for this wonderful course.

By Edison G B

Apr 27, 2020

Liked the video material (from IBM Cognitive Labs) which provided a very good conceptual understanding of relational databases and SQL querying language. Also useful to understand how to query a SQL server on the cloud (in this case IBM Cloud) from python.

By Fernando L C

Feb 24, 2020

I learnt have easy is to set up a database on ibm cloud and load data set. Also I have refreshed my knowledge about SQL. I found the labs very entertaining and the topics in the video very well distributed :) Thanks for the work done in making this course!

By Jorge A C C

Dec 09, 2019

Muy bueno y completo, se integra los conocimientos de modulos anteriores y se tiene un buen reforzamiento de SQL.

Asimismo, el usar el Skill Network Labs junto con el IBM Watson Studio y el servicio IBM DB2 on Cloud es una gran experiencia de aprendizaje.

By Mayur G

Mar 06, 2020

This course covers all required basic of SQL. Although I was aware of basics but I leaned connection to database from Python. Access data using various libraries in Python. I really recommend everyone to take this course to start with Database in Python.

By Ian S

Jan 12, 2020

There are a large number of practical examples which reinforce the theory thought in the video lectures. Would highly recommened doing the optional parts of this course as well as it will benefit the person taking the course. All in all a great course.

By Prathamesh L

Jul 22, 2020

A good and elaborate course for beginners.

Hands on lab assignments are better than most of the courses and Mr. Rav Ahuja and team have been spot on in covering the core of the topic.

A great stepping stone to start off data science using SQL

By Terry G

Apr 24, 2020

This had some great overviews of using SQL with Python and also got me to connect with an external database. I don't have a lot of SQL experience, so some of this way review for me, so I can't speak to someone that is less familiar with SQL.

By Ritesh G

Sep 25, 2020

I am very happy that I have completed this course. I find this course useful for office needs, all the sessions were very interactive, meaningful and easy to understand. Solving real world problem was fun and thoroughly enjoyed this course!

By Filipe S M G

Aug 22, 2019

This is a very good introductory (and maybe even intermediate) course on SQL (with and without Python/Jupyter). I only miss more reading material to avoid going back to the videos - maybe the slides could be made available after each week.

By Ajith R

Aug 17, 2020

I loved the training and the material as well. The only thing painful was doing the peer assignment, you need to take screenshot and then upload. It would have been easier if we could have just click on the Submit in the juypter notebook.