Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

126 - 150 of 2,784 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Manjula K

Feb 21, 2021

An extremely comprehensive and well-structured course. Sadie St. Lawrence is an amazing instructor and articulates the course content in an effective manner. I do not possess a background in coding but this course helped me build my fundamentals in data science. Truly grateful to UC Davis, Sadie, and everyone involved in helping create such a great course. Thank you!

By Edgardo M

This really is a great place to start if you have no idea what you're doing. I did find it helpful to supplement this course with other materials (e.g., youtube videos), but that's to be expected and is even addressed by the prof. The coding practice is great, but you never practice creating tables for some reason, though not a huge deal. Very happy with the course!

By Amr F K

Jan 23, 2021

The course is really great. It gives a general introduction to SQL and it goes beyond this to deeper issues. All the assignments and projects are from real data which helps a lot to give an idea about what you will face in real life. I think by finishing this course and solving all the assignments and projects you will be ready to use SQL in real life applications.

By Zainab S

May 7, 2021

A beneficial course designed for beginners who want to learn SQL for data manipulation and analysis. The course content is well developed, and the assignments, especially the final YELP dataset task, prepare you well to apply your fresh learnings. I would highly recommend this course to anyone passionate about learning SQL, even if you have no previous background.

By Tan A

Jul 25, 2019

Great course. Accessible for a beginner but also had enough difficulty to make it challenging/useful. My only suggestion is having query results in the videos somehow. That will make the queries make a lot more sense and the overall content can be more digestible. Other than that, I recommend the course to anyone wanting to learn or strengthen some skills.

By Ritvik G

Jul 21, 2020

This course really helped me to understand basics of SQL and tech how to write SQL queries. Sadie St. Lawrence taught this course from basics covering each and every topic . Though I felt that the questions in the quizzes were a bit easy and could be made a little harder to give a more hands on experience.

Thank you Sadie St. Lawrence for this useful course.

By Meghraj P

Jun 1, 2020

The course starts with basics and gets you to the intermediate level of knowledge in SQL. The teaching method and the intermittent quizzes as well as hands-on coding assignments ensure that you thoroughly understand the course contents. I would recommend this for those who want to have basic to intermediate knowledge in SQL primarily for querying databases.

By Shuvmay C

Sep 30, 2018

Learning this has been fun, specifically the way this course is designed and the platform available for coding is very user friendly and easy to understand. The team has done a wonderful job in explaining the key concepts, special thanks to the instructor. Also the quizzes and coding questions are so designed that it helps you understand the basic concepts.

By Reza S

Jul 23, 2020

The course is quite comprehensive and understandable. Although the lecturer explains in a very slow fashion, it doesn't really bother me since we can speed up to 1.5x. I really like the final project that we have to solve but there are a few things to be improved: It's better to make a system that we can write queries directly while listening to the video.

By Xicen W

Dec 31, 2020

I really like the instructor Sadie. She introduce all concept but on an entry level basis, which makes this course situatable for new learners. After watch her 4 weeks videos and completed the practices, I also searched for more practices online such as W3school. I feel I am very comfortable to use some simple SQL command to pull out datasets at work now.

By Faith R

Jul 6, 2018

I enjoyed this course and really learned a lot. I loved being able to go at my own pace and start the course over if my schedule was too busy. You can do practice quizzes as many times as you want and you are given opportunities with extra time to redo your quizzes. This format gives you a great opportunity to learn and at your own pace which was awesome.

By Dhruv

Jun 9, 2020

This course has an amazing structure. It allows and highly encourages to think like a professional and provides resources that allowed me not only to pass the course but will also be relevant when I move ahead in this skill and career path. The assignments are also very well designed. Passing the final assignment gives a lot of confidence in the subject.

By Rafael T M

Mar 1, 2020

Muy buen curso para empezar a tocar SQL. Tanto las pruebas intermedias como la final te ponen contra las cuerdas y te obliga a utilizar casi todo lo aprendido. Si no has programado nunca o empezaste y lo dejaste te aconsejo tener algo de paciencia para completarlo. Entender cada video y cada paso que das. Sin lugar a dudas escogeré el siguiente curso.

By Sadya S

May 8, 2020

The concepts in this course are explained very well and are very descriptive. They are taught step by step and she also gives an explanation as to why we use these concepts and why theyre important. I was able to delve deeper into SQL and was able to acquire the basics in order to solve real life SQL problems. She is one of my favourite instructors!

By Panumate C

Dec 10, 2020

Good points: Provide the knowledge from zero, Always clarify the learning objectives, Good assignments and grading system, and Final assignment with peer-reviewed system is cool!

Weak points: The number of examples is not enough, Should have a pointer on the screen to make the learner understand more easily

Overall, Impressive!

By Kanak K

Nov 6, 2020

Great course for anyone who wishes to understand how SQL works with relevance to data science. This course will set you up for advanced data mining using SQL. The topics covered in this course are sufficient for understanding a proper working of SQL. Other than that , you will have to practice to get good at it.

But overall great course. Kudos.

By Rainer K

Oct 30, 2019

Even though this course is aimed at beginners, the assignments encourages a person to do some additional research. This simulates how a person should continually research and explore to enhance one's knowledge and experience. The final peer graded assignment was fun. Make sure you allow enough time to spend on it and you will reap the rewards.

By Antony L

Jul 25, 2018

Really great introductory course to SQL. I highly recommend taking this course for those who have little to no experience with SQL. All of the course work and material was easy to comprehend and very digestible. In addition, the quizzes and assignments were great supplemental exercises to reinforce the concepts that were taught in the course.

By Muhammad B J

Sep 7, 2020

Today in the morning at 7:00AM EDT I was so happy that I can't imagine, Sadie made me positive and passionate in my career. Because of her, I can now achieve my dream to become a data scientist and learn more and do good in life. Hopefull! This is the best course of SQL hands down! I failed many interviews but now I am sure I will pass it.

By Dalya B

Jul 12, 2020

I really enjoyed the course as per the content and the review questions at the end of each week! I have learnt a lot to build on and can't wait to practice SQL and use it in my work. I totally recommend it to anyone who needs flexible hours to learn how to deals with big data and to learn how to retrieve and be tidy with the data in hand.

By Mahmoud H

Apr 7, 2021

One of my favorite courses on SQL so far. I would definitely recommend it for beginners as well as those who want to brush and broaden their knowledge in databases and query optimization. The instructor is highly knowledgeable and very well articulated. I have enjoyed the course so much because of the clear presentations and explanations.

By Tang E

Jul 18, 2019

The course is simple and clear for a beginner. The slides,video and notes are helpful and it guides me slowly to understand different SQL syntax and its applications. The quiz and assignment are really good platform to practice all the knowledge i learnt from those 4 courses. Lovely! Highly recommend to others who never learn SQL before.

By Sumana K

Apr 12, 2020

The course was well explained. I struggled a bit with some topics like combining multiple joins and subqueries. A few additional examples in the form of a case study might have helped understand the concepts a bit easier.

The quizzes , projects were all good practice making us think and apply the knowledge we gained.

Thank you.

By Jessica C

Nov 2, 2020

This course was my first experience with this type of learning and it went so far above and beyond my expectations. Sadie is an excellent teacher and I found the course very easy to follow and interesting. I feel that I learned a lot in a short time and would highly recommend this course to anyone looking to learn SQL.

By Ben S

May 10, 2018

Great course. Final project needs some work and this course will be top notch!! For the project, it would be great if we could port the data into R or Python and do some sort of basic analysis of it. Would make it more interesting. I like the separate coding and concepts quizzes. The teacher is amazing and upbeat!