Back to Improving your statistical inferences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving your statistical inferences by Eindhoven University of Technology

This course aims to help you to draw better statistical inferences from empirical research. First, we will discuss how to correctly interpret p-values, effect sizes, confidence intervals, Bayes Factors, and likelihood ratios, and how these statistics answer different questions you might be interested in. Then, you will learn how to design experiments where the false positive rate is controlled, and how to decide upon the sample size for your study, for example in order to achieve high statistical power. Subsequently, you will learn how to interpret evidence in the scientific literature given widespread publication bias, for example by learning about p-curve analysis. Finally, we will talk about how to do philosophy of science, theory construction, and cumulative science, including how to perform replication studies, why and how to pre-register your experiment, and how to share your results following Open Science principles. In practical, hands on assignments, you will learn how to simulate t-tests to learn which p-values you can expect, calculate likelihood ratio's and get an introduction the binomial Bayesian statistics, and learn about the positive predictive value which expresses the probability published research findings are true. We will experience the problems with optional stopping and learn how to prevent these problems by using sequential analyses. You will calculate effect sizes, see how confidence intervals work through simulations, and practice doing a-priori power analyses. Finally, you will learn how to examine whether the null hypothesis is true using equivalence testing and Bayesian statistics, and how to pre-register a study, and share your data on the Open Science Framework. All videos now have Chinese subtitles. More than 10.000 learners have enrolled so far!...

YK

Mar 02, 2017

Excellent course. The lecturer has written code snippets that let the students visualize the meaning and interrelationship of p-values confidence-intervals power effect-size bayesian-inference.

MR

Feb 22, 2018

Excellent course with a lot to learn. After 10 years in data analysis it provided me with great new insights and material to further improve my skills and understanding of data analysis

51 - 75 of 149 Reviews for Improving your statistical inferences

By Heidi M

Dec 30, 2016

fun and very informative course - thank you very much!

By Mesionis I

Jun 06, 2017

Excellent course!!!!!!Really descriptive with great examples and practises!!

By Hendrik B

Nov 18, 2017

One of the best courses I have done so far on Coursera. Fairly advanced and very helpful for (under-) grad students running experiments or working with data in general.

By Bartek

Oct 30, 2016

This course really delivers on its core premise: it helped me understand the core principles behind frequentist statistics, gave me some basic understanding of Bayesian statistics, and will definitely prevent me from chasing my tail as far as potential future research is concerned.

Although the course seems to be addressed to current and future researchers, I would recommend taking it to anyone interested in science as it will give you tools to read and understand research papers (esp. the basic reports in social science/experimental psychology).

I would consider this course an excellent resource and introduction to the so-called "new statistics", and covers topics crucial to conducting reproducible research.

The lectures are wonderfully taught and explain everything clearly. The hands-on assignments are challenging for the right reason: they test your knowledge and comprehension of the material at hand (some on-line courses did a number on me, and required extracurricular knowledge in order to succeed with completing the assignments).

I think that even stats newbies might be able to take the course and learn a lot, as most of the material pretty much addresses the basic, core philosophy of statistics, and you don't need to know how to conduct specific tests in order to understand what Daniel is trying to share with you.

This course is *the* course for anyone eager to understand what their stats 101 classes failed to even address.

By Oana S

Dec 27, 2016

Amazing learning experience

By Sean H

Nov 27, 2016

I'm so glad I took this class! I learned how to better design experiments and interpret common statistical practices in the literature. The lectures are entertaining and informative, and the professor is charming and funny. Even though I'm an immunologist and the course is aimed at the social sciences, I feel like a better scientist now.

By Wilte Z

Oct 23, 2016

Clear explanations of the concepts of statistics, without too much emphasis on the formulas. With handy references to online tools, like power calculators.

By Matti H

Dec 13, 2016

I encourage all my friends in research to not do anything before doing this course! The pedagogical touch is different to any stats classes I've been on or stats MOOCs I've taken. After many lectures, I was just left staring at the screen, with the phrase "I must tell everyone" repeating in my head :)

By Ramiro B

Nov 06, 2017

I really like this class, it was very useful and the content was high quality. My only issue - which might have nothing to do with the class or the instructor - was that the exams were really long and boring. It would have been more enjoyable to be to have shorter, more focused examinations instead of a long exam at the end of a section or at the end of the class. EdX does this better.

By marcus n

Feb 04, 2017

Great high level overview of intermediate applied statistics. The instructors presentation skills and pace are very good as well.

By Pavol K

Aug 16, 2017

Amazing course. Definitely worth to accomplish. Highly recommended for every researcher, lecturer, PhD. student or student that is interested in prestent state of art regarding choosen important topics statistics and methodology, especially in Psychology.

By Oliver C

Dec 17, 2017

A really important course for anyone who wishes to make statistical inferences as part of their research. I highly recommend this for people at all stages in their career - particularly for people currently planning their research. It is very well delivered and will make you question your statistical knowledge.

By Katia D

Feb 11, 2018

Great course! Although I was struggling with lecture 2 (Bayesian Statistics)––It was very mathsy and a bit difficult to follow.

By Kathryn S

Dec 10, 2017

I absolutely loved Prof Lakens' clarity! The effort he put into making the material and the assignments easy to understand is astounding.

By Jinhao C

Jun 24, 2018

A must-take!

By Nic B

Jul 17, 2017

This is an excellent course for firming up statistical knowledge and replicable research practices. Likely useful for all psych/cognitive science PhD students and researchers further along who come from the frequentist training tradition.

By Rebecca W

Jul 17, 2017

An accessible and interesting course. I learned so much (and refreshed myself on things I should already know!). Thank you so much Dr Lakens for putting together this course. I've been recommending it to everyone!

By David

Jul 21, 2017

Great, well designed course. By far the best online course I've taken on any platform for any topic. In my opinion the course offers something for all experience levels and is useful as a first advanced excursion into statistics for beginners, but equally interesting as a refresher for experienced researchers. Thanks to Daniel Lakens and everyone else who was involved into making this course possible.

By sad d

Jan 18, 2017

One of the best Coursera courses! Daniel Lakens for the win!

By Iván Z A

Feb 15, 2017

Wonderful course: very interesting, and very well explained. Also, the teacher is a very kind and helpful person (at least in Twitter ;-P). Thanks Daniël.

By Srinivas K R

Oct 09, 2017

A course taught by a single individual - that packs more learning and knowledge into it than many rote courses. A course that I have returned to and will return to many times in the future to brush up on fundamentals.

By Habiba A

Dec 29, 2016

Easy to follow, light workload, and most importantly: very useful material of supreme importance.

By Kim S

Jun 13, 2017

An excellent course that provides a good introduction into the various statistical methods. I have definitely learned a lot of very useful information that I know I will use a lot in the future. I would really like to see a follow-on course on Bayesian Statistics now that I have got a taste for it!

By Jessi S

Dec 27, 2017

This has been one of the BEST courses I have taken (including other online course and my university courses). The course has definitely increased my understanding of making statistical inferences and has also provided me with hand tools and exercise. The professor used a variety of tactics to engage learning (reading, assignments, video, websites, quizzes) and all of these helped me to learn. It was a very engaging course with very useful information. THANK YOU!

By Joe B

Nov 11, 2016

This course was great. I have worked with statistics for a while but always grappled with some concepts. Having completed this course, I feel much more confident in interpreting findings and designing studies. This is especially the case for Bayesian statistics and likelihoods that were not even part of the curriculum when I went to university.