Back to The World of the String Quartet

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The World of the String Quartet by Curtis Institute of Music

Arnold Steinhardt, first violin of the internationally acclaimed Guarneri String Quartet, invites music listeners to the world of the string quartet repertoire and ensemble. Journey with him and interpretive analysis instructor Mia Chung through the history and features of quartet music, colored by stories of legendary quartets and insights from the stage. This season's Curtis courses are sponsored by Linda Richardson in loving memory of her husband, Dr. Paul Richardson....

BK

Oct 05, 2015

This course was incredibly interesting and greatly informative! I am an amateur violinist and loved the historical information about the composers and the demonstrations by the Aizuri Quartet.

TV

Nov 03, 2015

This is a great course. The professors are wonderful and they clearly have a tremendous love (which they pass on to their pupils) of the subject matter. Week six blew my mind.

26 - 50 of 78 Reviews for The World of the String Quartet

By William M

Aug 07, 2015

Excellent introduction to this genre. Changed how I listen to music

By Ats A

Sep 14, 2015

To dig deeper into music theory, it helps to explore specific genres one-by-one. So to create a sort of spider's web of knowledge in one's mind to which any future knowledge can adhere to. This is my 3rd music course from coursera, and 2nd from Curtis. I very much recommend these. To learn in one's own pace helps to concentrate to subjects at times when the mind is ready and the mood level is good. This makes learning an enjoyable experience. I was no fan of String Quartets before, but I truly am now. The chamber music with it's roots in class system of societies has always troubled me with it's wigs and powders and halls with exclusive acoustics. But after completing this course I can see, that this is all just a facade and the "chamber" might as well be my backyard in a sunny afternoon. There are tunes which are very pleasant to hear even when counterpoint is not yet "your thing". Thank you for this wonderful experience.

By Jill M

Dec 06, 2016

Outstanding course. The presenters were expert in their fields, the material and presentations were engaging and varied. This was a remarkable journey of listening, learning, exploration and discovery from the very beginnings of the genre right up until now.

By Mary L R

Jan 05, 2016

Great course, even if you have little background in this area.

By José M G

Jun 20, 2017

Excellent course! Thank you!

By Michael N

Dec 20, 2015

"wonder full", enlightening, amusing, engaging

By Yves P

Sep 14, 2017

This course strengthens me in the idea that well-practiced Music opens genuine communication networks - interaction between humans, feelings... - that tend to disappear nowaday.

By Deborah C

Sep 13, 2016

This was an excellent course. It gave me a deeper understanding of the grace to be found in the string quartet.

By Lauren L

Aug 15, 2015

This course was an absolute delight! Arnold, Mia, and the lovely and talented musicians made this course something I looked forward to every week and have even created a You Tube play list of the quartets studied in this class which I still listen to on a regular basis. I recommend this course to everyone who loves quartet music whether you are a musician or a dedicated lover of music. I guarantee you will thank me if you take my advice and sign up for The World of the String Quartet.

By Rosa C U

Jun 17, 2017

Such an enlightening ear-opening course! I thoroughly enjoyed every minute and I do hope there's a Part II coming soon!

By fernando V S

Aug 05, 2017

I Love this Course. It's an Introduction for all that i need to Know. Thanks so Much Curtis Institute.

By Peggy E

Feb 06, 2016

I enjoyed the course immensely. Thank you

By Jasson M

Mar 15, 2017

This course has been very interesting for me. Has given me tools for a better understanding of chamber music and appreciate various stages of the history of composers and the works we have reviewed. I enjoy it a lot and I continue to check several details in the listening list. thank you very much.

By Xiaodong W

Aug 21, 2015

Curtis rocks!

By Jonathan G

Feb 14, 2018

fascinating course! I learned a lot.

By Thomas H V

Nov 03, 2015

By Hisham E

Sep 11, 2015

Excellent course

By Koh, Y H

Jan 24, 2016

Enjoy totally in this course.

By Paulina G

Sep 17, 2015

Es un curso que te permite apreciar los compositores y sus obras para cuartetos de cuerda. Maravilloso

By wang p

可否做一些关于bach的 十二平均率? 这一块的视频教学资料好少呀。

谢谢!

By Peter C

Aug 09, 2016

An excellent and very enjoyable course. Well constructed and well taught.

By Bogdanova E

Aug 23, 2016

Good job! Intersting and clear)

By Richard B

Sep 07, 2015

a treasure trove of wonderful masterpieces explored

By Bernice K