Back to The Age of Sustainable Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Age of Sustainable Development by Columbia University

The Age of Sustainable Development" gives students an understanding of the key challenges and pathways to sustainable development - that is, economic development that is also socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable....

AA
Jun 1, 2020

Very informative and detailed. Prof. Sachs covers all aspects of sustainable development in detail. Though the course was designed in 2013 hence does not cover the latest development to SDGs to date.

LG
May 18, 2017

This course was perfect for those wanting to explore the world of development, broad enough to include all interlinked themes, with sufficient reading materials to spark one's specializing interests.

76 - 100 of 844 Reviews for The Age of Sustainable Development

By Omar M

Sep 29, 2020

The course was very informative about historical events. It also puts the spot lite on the main problems we face a species and the burden humanity puts on our ecosystem and the environment. This course highlight the importance of SDGs and the importance for everyone to incorporate them into their lives in order to guaranty a future for us and future generation to come. I have learned so much from this course and I'm very interested in pursuing a career in sustainability.

By Cara E

Sep 6, 2015

This course is wonderfully and engagingly taught by the great Jeffrey Sachs, with a lot of food for thought, excellent visual aids, relevant data and statistics, and supplementary readings which add a lot to the course. The quizzes not only test the knowledge found in the lectures, but ask the students to analyze other data from sources such as the UN and World Bank. Overall, a holistic and information-packed introduction to the field of sustainable development.

By Carlo C

May 16, 2017

Very nice course and very informative. It helped my learn and broaden my view of the changes in the world and what we can do to mitigate, as well as prepare individually and as a country to these changes that are happening.

It informed of the things that I felt oblivious to, such as the Carbon concentrations in the atmosphere, and aquatic dead zones. These are the things that we need to consider with whatever Sustainable Development-related activities we do.

By Heidi C

Mar 27, 2020

I love this course, it is a great overview for all import topics in related to sustainability development and how Professor Sachs was humorous yet clear to the point presentation made the whole course flow into life. I wished that I could able to get a certification of taking this course as it is certainly not easy with unit tests that requires a lot of research on different sites. It took me almost 6 months to complete it, but it is really worth it.

By César A V G

Nov 3, 2015

Excelente curso, es impresionante saber lo crítico de la situación en el mundo y que tan frágiles somos. Entender por qué debemos cambiar nuestros hábitos de producción y consumo para no acabar con nuestros recursos ni con la calidad del aire. Gracias a este curso ahora estoy más comprometido a cambiar y ser agente de cambio para que otros sean conscientes de lo irresponsables que hemos sido en los últimos 100 años de constante contaminación ambiental.

By onawole a

Aug 28, 2017

This opened up my mind and strengthened my passion and support for good governance and sustainable development like never before. I had access to a lot of information and facts about the issues that interest me and were I want to make impact. To be be honest this is the best online course i have taken very intensive and engaging it was really worth it. Many thanks to Prof Jeff Sachs and all those who contributed to the success of this mooc.

By Victoria A

Oct 4, 2018

Great course! All of the supplemental materials are awesome as well. The only thing is that some of the links in the assessments are broken or outdated; you need these links to answer some of the questions, as they contain graphical/informational content relevant to the specific question. That should be an easy update anyways, so that aside, I really enjoyed it and found it to be valuable for increasing my knowledge of the subject!

By Daniel F M

Nov 6, 2016

This course should be taught in all schools in order to develop an awareness and a common goal around sustainable development. I really enjoyed the talks and Prof. Sachs is an incredible lecturer, engaging and knowledgeable. It would be good if it was a bit more updated and keeping the tabs on recent developments but overall i learned a huge amount and wouldn't doubt recommending this course to every individual in this world we share.

By Rajiv S

Jun 12, 2020

A Marvelous Course for a technocrat like me. This course has inspired me to explore more on Development Economics. I thanks Prof for such a enlightening course and make us understand things like sustainable development in a world when each of us are only interested in their own development. This course should be made compulsory for all bureaucrats planned and politician in third world country. Thanks prof from my core of the heart.

By Carlotta C

Aug 25, 2015

I liked this course very much, especially because it was clear and well explained. During the lessons I could see how much efforts and passion Professor Sachs puts on this topic, which helped a lot in following the videos.

There are just a couple of things I'd change: I'd give some material to read, mostly with graphs (it took some time to make the screenshot of each graph!). Moreover, I'd give a State of accomplishment at the end.

By T.J. E

Awesome, expert instructor, with a really thoughtful and well organized approach to explaining a huge topic from a birds-eye-view. Hits on and synthesizes so many big ideas and big topics, such as energy, geography, geopolitics, technology, food and agriculture, supply chains, planetary boundaries, and so much more, stoking my interest throughout. Now, I just need to take a follow-up course on each one of these fascinating topics!

By 佐藤聡

Dec 10, 2015

Great course, you must take it for your own sake. It is hard to put your foot into one's shoes, it's hard to imagine what poverty is and social issues related to that if you never been to low income countries. But as a citizen of earth society we have to imagine future including rest of us. Because Sustainable Development will not continue when our economy and society are not sustainable. Everybody is responsible for future now.

By Irene D P

May 2, 2020

This course has been tremendously interesting and eye-opening. Thanks to Professor Sachs evidence-based and straight forward explanations, I have gained a deeper understanding of the challenges we face when addressing the issues of our time. For me, this course has been life-changing and I highly recommend anyone with a minimum of interest in creating a better world to take it: you will be undoubtedly glad you did.

By Filipe M F

Jun 29, 2020

5 stars for Professor Sachs. 0 for Coursera. The exams are full of broken links, which makes it more difficult to get the correct answers (you must lose time looking for them on google), and you won't get a certificate by the end. Great course tho, learned a lot and the passion of the Professor for the several subjects is captivating. If you want to take the course and get certified, so I suggest you do it on edX

By José B S C

Sep 22, 2015

I am a doctoral student in economics and political science. I had read Professors Sachs book, The End of Poverty, when I was in high school. I decided to take a basic course out of curiosity. While I belief the course is very basic and somewhat long, it does a wonderful job at introducing The Age of Sustainable Development. A light course, but provides a solid foundation for those who are interested in the topic!

By David C

Nov 6, 2016

If you are looking for a MOOC please INVEST in this course, no matter who you are it will change your mind on the role the people have on Earth. It has been quite a pleasure to be part of the selected group of inhabitants from developing countries that realized not only problems of BAU path, but the alternative solutions to undertake sustainable development actions NOW! Thanks Professor Sachs and teaching team!

By Karla R R

Dec 21, 2020

¡Excelente curso!

Gracias a lo aprendido aquí, decidí especializarme en Desarrollo Sostenible y Medio Ambiente. Actualmente he culminado mi maestría y me encuentro terminando mi trabajo de investigación.

Lo único que sí me gustaría es poder acceder a un certificado; cuando hice el curso no lo hice y me gustaría contar con la certificación de esta gran calidad.

Nuevamente gracias por todo.

Karla Rivadeneira R.

By Shanti K

Sep 17, 2018

I enjoyed the course thoroughly and it helped me to start developing different world view. It gave me a very good perspective on the other aspects of Sustainable Growth and Sustainability. It allowed to gauze into the inter-disciplinary linkages and also the theoretical elements to help me, more of a practitioner on the go, to understand the whole concept of sustainable growth and sustainability better.

By Pema G

May 16, 2016

The course is very interesting and i like simply because it is very appropriate approach in this economic driven world to rethink about our planet and instigate a paradigm shift in thinking. As I am from small landlocked Himalayan country known as Bhutan (country of Gross National Happiness), the course is very vital in achieving the objectives of our philosophical concept of GNH. The course is Excellent!

By Chunli C

Apr 3, 2020

It's really a fantastic course and a great job by professor Sachs and all other supporters. It has a great framework of the SD, from the planet boundaries of the development to the goals of SD and the roadmaps. There are plenty of figures, statistics and theories to support what and why to SD. There are big ideas about SD and many useful practices useful for other countries and cities. Thanks a lot!

By Karthik M

Dec 13, 2015

A course that helps you reflect on the mankind's contemporary and future challenges. This course warns the mankind to change its trajectory for its own good. After completing this course, I wonder why many governments are oblivious to serious threats that endanger homo-sapiens and decided to do what I can do within the sphere of my influence to save our beautiful planet "Earth". Thank you Dr. Sachs!

By Sophie d l R

Apr 14, 2020

Un cours très complet et très bien mené, riche, intéressant et capable de générer de la motivation malgré les mauvaises nouvelles qu'il explique avec beaucoup de simplicité et de façon très factuelle. Toute la mise en perspective historique est passionnante. Le réalisme et l'exploration des moyens d'agir est passionnant lui aussi. Le professeur Sachs est excellent.

Je recommande très chaudement.

By Anastasia L

Apr 17, 2017

This course was very informative and delivered in a comprehensible manner. The topics were well designed and flowed in a sequence that helped the learner add on the knowledge as they progressed. I was inspired to do new things towards a globally sustainable world even in my little corner. It was a previledge to be taught by the very experienced Prof Jeffrey Sachs! Thank you Coursera!

By Camilo A G M

Jan 15, 2016

It's a really good course and it is very complete. It gathers a lot of issues and it shows the principle problems and the possible solutions to each one. Besides, Prof. Sachs gives an humanitarian approach with which I fully agree. The only recommendation I have is to give an accomplishment certificate because it´s a very long course and we have to put a lot of effort to finish it.

By Jose R N

Jan 2, 2018

Its one of the best introductory online courses out there for Sustainable Development. I highly recommend also getting the book as well. The classes and issues studied feel very close to the realities we experience and see everyday. It is definitely recommended to students at all levels that want to gain an introduction to the complex theories and problems of Sustainability.