Back to The Age of Sustainable Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Age of Sustainable Development by Columbia University

The Age of Sustainable Development" gives students an understanding of the key challenges and pathways to sustainable development - that is, economic development that is also socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable....

LG
May 18, 2017

This course was perfect for those wanting to explore the world of development, broad enough to include all interlinked themes, with sufficient reading materials to spark one's specializing interests.

AA
Jun 1, 2020

Very informative and detailed. Prof. Sachs covers all aspects of sustainable development in detail. Though the course was designed in 2013 hence does not cover the latest development to SDGs to date.

101 - 125 of 845 Reviews for The Age of Sustainable Development

By Aristo ( P

Oct 15, 2016

Excellent broad and also specific content that aligns perfectly with my profession in Environmental Research and our organisational alignment to the SDG's.

Brilliant delivery by Prof Jeffrey Sachs and his incomparable knowledge of each and every lesson and each weeks content.

Very informative and very inspiring course that I thoroughly enjoyed each and every week. Thank you.

By Soraya D

Dec 3, 2017

Professor Sachs' insights/ideas and the content of this course are fantastic. The only downside of the course was that some of the websites referenced in the quiz questions have changed since the questions were written, so at times it was difficult to find the corresponding charts/information in order to complete the quizzes. Otherwise, no complaints about this course!

By Indumathi A

Sep 13, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this course since Prof. Sachs was so knowledgable in all the aspects of SD- economic, political, social and environmental. I could see from the last video that he is very passionate about what he teaches.

I have gained so much knowledge from this course and I am very grateful to Prof.Sachs for doing this.

Indumathi

Environmental Science Student

India

By Seng T

Jan 7, 2021

This has been a very useful course in understanding the goals for sustainable development; and the struggles ahead to fulfil these. Even though difficult, we must so try to push and succeed. Now, at least I have sufficient understanding | where to look for information, to argue and justify why we need sustainable development - for humanity and for our fragile planet.

By Julian D G

Apr 19, 2018

Excelente curso. Contiene los aspectos fundamentales de las teorías del Desarrollo Sostenible, expresadas didácticamente por uno de sus exponentes actuales más importantes. Abarca los temas más importantes y profundiza en conceptos necesarios para obtener el conocimiento acerca de este tema.

Realmente somos afortunados de poder contar con este tipo de recursos.

By Kleopatra K

Apr 23, 2017

Excellent course! Thoroughly enjoyed learning about sustainable development from Dr Jeffrey Sachs, I especially liked that every week addressed a different topic and how he explained everything so clearly. The only suggestions I would make is to regularly review quiz and final tests links as they were sometimes broken/outdated resulting in missing question(

By Ziyan Z

Sep 3, 2016

Amazing course! The videos are nicely edited with images, videos, and sound track. Also, professor Jeffrey Sachs makes it super easy to understand through the use of various graphs and examples. You don't have to be an environmentalist to enjoy the course as it provide many interesting facts and perspective about our world. Definitely recommend to everyone!

By Evan F

Jul 16, 2020

A great way to get a broad spectrum of knowledge on the issues that are troubling our society. It gives solid strategies on how to move forward, while challenging the perception of our governments and leaders. Only concern is the outdated links in some quizzes as well as the reading list, but alternatives.can often be found in the active discussion forum.

By Yullie P M

Jun 26, 2016

Some questions in the quiz do not have the proper data sources. Please review quiz questions, sources and answers expected. Thank you very much for this learning opportunity.<

Sincere thanks and deep admiration and gratitude to Prof. Sachs for his genuine, continuous contributions to society. He is a true insporation to me.

Kind regards,

yullie matsouka

By Sushant H B

Aug 7, 2017

The course was very informative and also very helpful.It gives the in depth understanding of the Global Scenario with lots of real life examples, charts and theories.I would like to recommend this course to every one who is planning to pursue their career in the field of development. Thank you Coursera Team for providing this opportunity to learn.

By Felix G C

Nov 12, 2016

This course blew my mind. Sachs does a fantastic job explaining the relationship of our species with the environment and, at the same time, proposes several solutions to mitigate or eliminate the imbalances which humanity has been generating since the industrial revolution. Every topic is threaded very nicely. Very informative and a true eye-opener.

By Marcel T

May 4, 2016

Speechless,! I'll simply quote another reviewer who spelt it out in one short sentence " This is simply the best course you can ever take on coursera". Professor Sachs provided answers I have been looking for but couldn't find in countless areas. It would have been a shame if I lived through this life without ever discovering this astounding course.

By Paripsa N P

Dec 10, 2020

I've taken a couple of other courses on Coursera previously but I have to say that the Age of Sustainable Development was the most comprehensive course. It is extremely extensive and is very engaging, from start to finish. i believe that the subject is extremely important and is useful in a plethora of sectors and I would definitely recommend it!

By Deborah G

Sep 17, 2017

I have learnt a lot, and I will keep learning more. Now I feel inspired to get involved more directly, like volunteer workdays, getting active with ONGs, etc. Thank you very much for this course, hope many people around the world does this course so we all can understand the problems we are facing already and invest in sustainable development.

By Precious

May 19, 2018

Fabulous course, many thanks to professor Sachs. It really speaks what the world is currently experiencing, from climate change to poverty. We may be in different countries across the world, but we do have one thing in common - Climate change can affect us all. The world we live in needs all of us to participate in sustaining its resources.

By Francisco R

Jan 29, 2017

This is an excellent course, the content its related to hard data to support it. Also contains a lot of useful tools to analyze data and compare information. I highly recommend the book to check more specific information. Is not just informative but calls for action, I´m ready to take the next step and move to contribute an promote the SDG.

By David Z R

Oct 5, 2015

Absolutely wonderful. The Universidad de Columbia and especially professor Jeffrey Sachs made an amazing revision of the history, the data and the concepts of Sustainable Development, as the biggest ideas, the biggest challenge of our time. Interesting, compressible, interactive, this was a great experience for me and I´m sure for everyone.

By Annika L G

Jun 21, 2017

Very interesting course. Prof. Sachs is amazing and I found the content of the course so interesting, it didn't matter that the video lectures are fairly oldschool and unengaging. You have to be able to process a lot of information coming solely from video lectures, since the only time you get to do something active is for the weekly quiz.

By ali a

Oct 25, 2015

great leaning experience, as a student of development studies i found this course very significant for me.this course help me out ,how to set my approach in a certain development program.

thank you so much ,coursera, Columbia University, and last but not the least PROF SACHS..to give me opportunity to learn this course from my home town.

By Rita M

May 23, 2017

Brilliant course, brilliant lecturer! It's a shame that some of the links in the assessments are no longer working, but it's possible to work around it and the value of the course totally outweighs the little technical problems. Definitely recommended to those willing to learn about sustainability (and this should be basically everyone)!

By Asmita D

It can be regarded as an exemplary course for anyone who wishes to know about sustainable development and what are the aspects that can be looked into in order to achieve it. It provides insights on the global status on all the components (biodiversity, ecology, energy use) that are to be addressed for global sustainable development.

By Nicolas E

Oct 10, 2016

its a very interesting course who try to give a complet view of the one of the most challenge of XXI century, the sustainable development, i really enjoy the different chapters of the course, and i think the proffesor Jeffey Sachs is great expositor and have easy going arguments that guide u to undersentand the goals for the future.

By Robert U

Apr 13, 2020

This course is absolutely brilliant. It really helped me in gaining more informations about sustainable development, being at a master about environmental studies and sustainable development. It was such a pleasure to watch Mr. Sachs throughout the courses. He deserves the whole recognition in the world. Really, really satisfied.

By Oriol R

Aug 2, 2020

I attended SIPA for my EMPA, and since then (and especially after reading The End of Poverty) I dreamed about completing my eduaction with Professor Sachs. Too many years later at least I managed to settle with this Course, that I found very useful. Some questions/websites are outdated, but still worth the time. THANKS!!!

By Manoj S

Jul 27, 2017

One of the best course i have ever participated on. Very good i highly recommend this course to other MBA students. I have read some of the authors books like The Age of Sustainable Development, The End of Poverty: How We Can Make It Happen In Our Lifetime, common wealth and they are all good, worth reading it. cheers.