Back to The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

4.4

From small farms to urban neighborhoods, from the region itself to the more distant worlds of the southern diaspora, we discover the stories, music, and art of the American South....

ES

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!\n\nInteresting, documentary, not even one minute boring, very well organized and easy to follow.\n\nMusic is part of our history.

CC

Aug 26, 2015

Bill Ferris is a wealth of knowledge and experience - I only regret missing out on the classroom dynamic of a Ferris-led discussion of Southern arts, particularly the Blues.

1 - 25 of 71 Reviews for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

By Samanta G P

Apr 11, 2019

Excepcional! Me encanto!

By Edward C M

Oct 05, 2015

Amazing course! Conversational, relaxed lectures that are well-informed, paired with excellent archival footage--mostly generated by the presenting professor.

By Carmen B

Sep 30, 2015

Very interesting and informative.

By Danielle C

Nov 01, 2017

I am so glad that I was able to participate in this class. It was so very enjoyable and informative.

By Tim R

May 01, 2018

Fantastic!

By phunguyen

Dec 26, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. Very interesting!

By Gloria F L

Aug 31, 2015

Because I was born and raised in the South, I enjoy courses that expound my knowledge of southern culture. This is an excellent course and I am enjoying Dr. Ferris' lectures. It brings to mind my memories of early childhood experiences (the good and the bad) that have shaped the national and international consciousness. I state that because I lived in Atlanta, GA during the Civil Rights Era and I wear my southern style with pride, no matter where I travel.

By Joao P A

Jun 25, 2018

Excellent!!

By Elizabeth S

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!

Music is part of our history.

By David J H

Mar 16, 2016

Fascinating introduction and lots of pointers to follow through if you want to explore more

By Deniz N E B T

Dec 16, 2015

So much fun! Very inter

By Lester P

Aug 22, 2015

As a non-American and a musician I found this course presented immensely interesting and important background information as to how life was and developed in the American South, culminating in hearing the story of its music which I now understand in its context. I heartily recommend this course!

By Lynn D

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. The lecturer has a style that keeps you interested. The content was very interesting.

By Tony A

Dec 07, 2015

Great course, lots of fun and some great music and culture.

By KaLani S

Sep 30, 2015

Amazing and fascinating course. The instructor is a treasure to find. I feel blessed to have stumbled upon this course with an instructor with such a rich history and knowledge of the South. I recommend to any and everyone who loves history and folklore alike. I wish there were a way to down load the videos. This is a great archive of quite possibly my own ancestry. I absolutely loved this course.

By Charlotte S

Mar 29, 2016

Started this course, but had to stop initially because I started a PhD. But I couldn't stop thinking about it so resumed the other day. Loved it.

By Dario

Jun 23, 2016

Very interesting, great professor

By Margaret F

Feb 04, 2016

This has been an interesting and informative course. It would be nice if Prof Ferris could produce an intermediate course on the same topic.

By Alice H S

Dec 29, 2016

Excellent! Full of treasure trove of information with History, stories and culture!

By Lynette O

Nov 01, 2015

This was a wonderful class! A great intro to the culture of the south.

By Lily

Oct 29, 2017

very helpful an introduction! Making me really wanna know more about the South. Love the Story-telling oral tradition of South!

By Elizabeth P

Nov 10, 2015

Engaging and interesting, a review of Southern Culture with an excellent instructor.

By Althea M

Sep 07, 2015

As part of the southern family living abroad I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Thanks Bill, for sharing your experience and knowledge with us. I look forward to watching your documentaries on Folkstream!

By Chris C

Aug 26, 2015

By John W

Dec 17, 2015

An excellent and thought provoking course.