Back to Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences by UNSW Sydney (The University of New South Wales)

Transmedia storytelling is the practice of designing, sharing, and participating in a cohesive story experience across multiple traditional and digital delivery platforms - for entertainment, advertising and marketing, or social change. Have you ever read a book, seen a movie, watched a television show, or played a game that centred around different aspects of a larger story or universe? You may be familiar with popular examples of such universes like Star Wars, Marvel, and The Walking Dead (to name a few). How do the professionals develop such expansive narratives? How do they ensure that each element stays true to the original story? How do they innovatively use different technologies to share the stories, grow audiences and create an active and involved community of fans? More and more, we are also engaging with elements or franchises of larger and more complex stories across a much more diverse range of platforms like interactive web experiences, social media communities, mobile devices, theme parks, and even augmented and virtual reality. A major challenge that current and future storytellers face is being able to engage different audiences in a story that is seamlessly told across all of these different platforms. WHAT WILL I LEARN? This course will help you to design a strategy for developing and telling your own transmedia story. You will learn about what it takes to: • Shape your ideas into compelling and well structured narratives and complex story worlds • Identify, understand, and engage different audiences in your stories • Create cohesive user experiences across different platforms • Evaluate existing and emerging technologies to share your story with the world, and help your audience participate in the larger storyworld you create The course provides you with a unique, authentic, and industry relevant learning opportunity. You will have access to current theory, industry examples and advice and undertake learning activities that will equip you with the tools you need to start developing your own ideas. WHO WILL MY INSTRUCTORS BE? You will learn effective transmedia design strategies from leading UNSW Australia Art & Design academics. You will also examine case studies that demonstrate how amazing ideas, technology and audience contributions can be brought together to create dynamic storyworlds. You'll see examples of major, successful transmedia storytelling projects involving movies, digital entertainment, gaming, virtual reality and more. In collaboration with our industry partner X Media Lab, the course will give you inside access to the personal stories, insight and advice of the following innovative transmedia storytelling professionals from Hollywood USA, Canada and Australia. • Susan Bonds, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Flint Dille, Screenwriter, Game Designer and Novelist, Los Angeles, USA • Cindi Drennan, Illuminart, Australia • Tom Ellard, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Catherine Fargher, Dr Egg Digital, Sydney, Australia • Hal Hefner, 3AM Creative, USA • Brian Seth Hurst, StoryTech, Los Angeles, USA • Henry Jenkins, School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California, USA • Mikey Leung, Digital Storytellers, Sydney, Australia • Alex Lieu, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Geoffrey Long, Annenberg Innovation Lab, University of Southern California, USA • John McGhee, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Joseph Narai, Transmedia Entertainment, Sydney, Australia • Jeff Nicholas, The Uprising Creative, Los Angeles, USA • Sergio Paez, Graphic Artist working in animation, TV, video games, and film. Co Founder, StoryboardArt, California, USA • Steve Peters, No Mimes Media, Los Angeles, USA • Stuart Samuels, Stuart Samuels Productions, Toronto, Canada • Charles Santoso, Concept Artist, Sydney, Australia • Seth Shapiro, New Amsterdam Media, Los Angeles, USA • Scott Snibbe, Eyegroove, San Francisco, USA • Tracey Taylor, The Pulse, Sydney, Australia • Robert Tercek, Public Speaker, Digital Media Strategist, and Executive Leader for Creative Ventures and Business Innovation, • University of Southern California, USA • Kevin Williams, Founder & Director of KWP Ltd and DNA Association, UK • Brent Young, Super 78, Los Angeles, USA • Maya Zuckerman, Transmedia SF, San Francisco, USA COURSE CONTENT DEVELOPMENT Karin Watson, Iman Irannejad, and Dr. Simon McIntyre....

NT
Apr 26, 2020

Great Course. Love the inputs from all the professionals and the various tools and methods provided to the students to complete the modules. Very interesting and enriching. Thank you

CL

All aspects of story telling and trans media story telling are discussed. The resource persons shared their experiences very effectively to keep the interest building. Thank you!

51 - 75 of 184 Reviews for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

By Guy A I

Mar 14, 2018

Great professors , Great materials, Great lecuturer - Over all great learning experience. Bridges the gap between creative storytelling and technology as such appropriate both for the creative professional and the technologist. There are so many different ways to tell a story!

By Cheng M H

Mar 24, 2019

I got more out of this course than I expected. The reading material was fantastic; I found many of the papers and articles deeply engrossing. This course really laid the groundwork for my first foray into transmedia and digital storytelling. I cannot recommend it enough!

By Esra E

Apr 16, 2020

I'm reeeaaly so happy to be able to take this course. All of the instructers all af the interviews they provide to us and all of the informations they give are so important and valuable. So thank you UNSW and Coursera for giving me this opportunity. 100% recommend!

By Marika O

Oct 3, 2019

The training schedule was very well thought out which provided me a valuable insight into the ways that Transmedia Storytelling do work. It was not a walk in the park to accomplish it, as the Transmedia storytelling is a complex project to carry through.

By Chinemelu O

Jun 5, 2020

This course was really good. I hope that I can have access to the content to review when can. Learned a lot from the videos, readings and my classmates. It also gave me new ideas and removed my fears regarding virtual media platforms. Thank you.

By MIMANSHA W

Oct 17, 2020

I loved this course! It helped me become more confident in my story and also gave me new insight into the transmedia world. It introduced me to the necessary concepts and urged me to move forward with my story. This was all amazing. Thank You!

By Sigourney R B M

Nov 28, 2020

This course offered rich insights from some of the best industry experts. The assignments were the right kind of difficult, and makes sure that learners put some effort and thinking on their answers. Overall, it was a nice experience. Thanks!

By Itika S

When a course is crafted with full passion, it is visible. I could see the hard work put in creating this course and throughly enjoyed it. Thank you for bringing in industry experience than just concepts and presentations. Kudos to the team!

By Yazmin H Z G

Jun 24, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I am not from a storytelling background; however, I took it because I thought it could be useful for science diffusion and I will be working on how to make that happen with what I have learn in this course.

By Pooja I

Feb 27, 2019

Just what I needed as a development communication practitioner with a knack for filmmaking, and all other things creative! Kudos to the course designers for gathering so many industry insights onto a single platform for the learners.

By lizzete n

Jul 27, 2020

thanks for the oportunity to learn something new, i will hope to accomplish what i learn and to make the strategy to the trasmedia storytelling thrue, no all but some and i will keep fighthing to make that happen, thanks everyone

By Uta F

Mar 10, 2020

I loved this tools, it is a perfect mix of guidance, practical tools, but it also requires you to think, be analytical, be creative. The discussions and feedback gave further inspirations and new aspects to my stories.

By Alexandra D G G

Jan 26, 2020

I have been in media for a few years now, but this course opened my eyes more, to know how to create a better storytelling campaign and how different platforms can be used. Definitely it's a must on your list!

By Julia G

Mar 12, 2020

Great tasks, even if I'm not a screenwriter or producer, but just a Content Specialist. Anyway, this course gave me a deep understanding of how to interconnect different media and keep the story aligned.

By Daniel D

En exceptionall course with lots of information! I would have loved assignments where the student gets to be more practical maybe actually produce some parts of the transmedia strategy.

By Noopur T

Apr 27, 2020

By Charu L

Jun 23, 2020

By Anna C

Nov 8, 2020

Very entertaining and interesting course! I thought I wouldn't be able to do the project justice, but this course really encourages your creative thinking. Very good experience!

By Stefan T

Jun 8, 2020

Quite a few things to learn and perfect for anyone that wants to say saomething, adapt a message sell a product, basically how you think of a story in complex way.

By Alicia B

Sep 13, 2020

I loved this course and learned so much! Watching the videos from the industry leaders was inspirational and I hope to work with some of them in the future.

By Juan P G U

May 5, 2020

Is a great course, i learn a lot personally for the transmedia storytelling. This is necesary to chilean journalism, for get out of the media crysis.

By Barrett B

Apr 3, 2020

Great course! Very informative and engaging! I thoroughly enjoyed it and gained strong perspective about the world / universe I am creating from it!

By Csaba T S

Sep 25, 2018

It was absolutely worth buying this course, I learnt a lot about storytelling itself and about transmedia storytelling, as well. Fully recommended!

By Guadalupe V

Apr 24, 2019

Extraordinary course! We are going to develop the project I worked on during this MOOC. Thank you for the super professional input and guidance!

By Rudy T

Jun 21, 2020

A great experience, really useful contents and examples. Assignments had the right mix of complexity to acquire the main topics of the course.