Back to Osteoarchaeology: The Truth in Our Bones

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Osteoarchaeology: The Truth in Our Bones by Universiteit Leiden

This course is about what we can learn from examining the human skeleton, and how we can use this knowledge to reconstruct the lives of people who lived in the past. In archaeology and anthropology, human skeletal remains can provide unique insights into the past and the present; insights that cannot be gained otherwise. These insights are explored in five main themes spread out over five weeks of learning. First, it is shown how age-at-death, sex and stature can be estimated by the close examination of (archaeological) skeletal remains. In subsequent modules it is shown how human bones can provide information about the diseases and injuries that people suffered from and what they ate. Also, it is shown how the human skeleton provides information about the kinds of activities that people engaged in and about how they migrated and moved around their landscapes. In this course, you will examine all aspects of the human skeleton that can provide us with information about these different facets of life. Together we will explore the scientific field that is known as human osteoarchaeology. - Human, because it is about us and our ancestors, - Osteo, because it is about our bones, - Archaeology, because we use this information to better understand the behaviors and events experienced by past people. During the course, you will decipher the clues left behind in the skeletons of past peoples with the methods and techniques that are presented. You may also discover some clues hidden in your own skeleton and what they reveal about the life that you are living. Want to know more? You can take a look at the course trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJi22TxzpRw...

Nov 7, 2016

Very informative, a good grounding in the subject, I really felt like I gained a lot of valuable knowledge on the subject that will help me in future endeavors. Very well put-together and organized.

PB

Nov 20, 2016

I took this course to find out what osteoarchaeology was all about. Excellent, excellent course! Well planned, laid out and , and very interesting. I have learned a lot. Thank you!!!

76 - 100 of 160 Reviews for Osteoarchaeology: The Truth in Our Bones

By Mark E v A

Mar 1, 2017

Very enjoyable. Cool information and the assignments really force you to think critically about your reasoning.

By E M B

Dec 17, 2018

This course provided great illustrations and information regarding the various specialties in human osteology.

By Elisabeth R M

Aug 9, 2020

It was a really wondeful course! I learned so much, thank you very much for all your hard work and time.

By Anne-Marie G

Jan 23, 2017

Loved this course. Allows you to go into more detail if you wish. Friendly lecturer. Facinating subject.

By Maria H

Aug 15, 2017

Loved this course! I learned the basics of everything I wanted to learn and I really enjoyed it!

By Kathlyn T

May 5, 2017

Fantastic, informational, and very fun. I truly enjoyed this course from Universiteit Leiden.

By Yenny A A S

Feb 12, 2019

Excelente curso, contenido especializado pero muy claro, con muchos ejemplos y bibliografía.

By Pat B

Jan 18, 2021

Great course! Made me think and want to learn more. Recommending it to everyone I talk to.

By Richard I M

Jul 4, 2020

This was a very intense and thoughtful course. I found it quite challenging and enjoyable.

By Laura G

Jan 4, 2017

I learn a lot about ancient skeleton and also about my own, in very enjoyable lessons!

By Sam T

Mar 20, 2020

This is a well structured and delivered course covering a fascinating subject.

By Melissa v R

May 21, 2018

I learned a lot, the assignments are very nice in my opinion! Very engaging.

By Dan C

Apr 14, 2020

Excellent course. Very well taught and offered. Instructors were amazing.

By matid c

Dec 23, 2020

Excellent course and material. A must take for aspiring Archaeologists!

By Marcela K

Oct 12, 2017

Great course, never knew all the things that can be told from bones!

By LUDOVIC C

Oct 3, 2018

Course extremely well built and documented. Very nice and exciting.

By Matthew R

Aug 17, 2017

very enjoyable and I learnt a lot of really useful information

By Colin A

Jul 11, 2017

A great course very well presented. Really enjoyed it.

By Helen E

Sep 7, 2020

Fantastic course with great detail and knowledge.

By hareesh

Feb 9, 2022

​enlightening and highly resourceful faculties.

By Antonio N L

Jun 4, 2017

I have enjoyed envery single bit of this course

By Vivek B

Dec 8, 2021

Brilliantly conducted course, I learnt a lot.

By Muhammad A T

It is really a useful and informative course.

By Sara C M

Apr 23, 2020

Great content, great lectures and interviews.

By Vlada S

Apr 5, 2021

This was very informative and fun to study!