Back to Osteoarchaeology: The Truth in Our Bones

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Osteoarchaeology: The Truth in Our Bones by Universiteit Leiden

This course is about what we can learn from examining the human skeleton, and how we can use this knowledge to reconstruct the lives of people who lived in the past. In archaeology and anthropology, human skeletal remains can provide unique insights into the past and the present; insights that cannot be gained otherwise. These insights are explored in five main themes spread out over five weeks of learning. First, it is shown how age-at-death, sex and stature can be estimated by the close examination of (archaeological) skeletal remains. In subsequent modules it is shown how human bones can provide information about the diseases and injuries that people suffered from and what they ate. Also, it is shown how the human skeleton provides information about the kinds of activities that people engaged in and about how they migrated and moved around their landscapes. In this course, you will examine all aspects of the human skeleton that can provide us with information about these different facets of life. Together we will explore the scientific field that is known as human osteoarchaeology. - Human, because it is about us and our ancestors, - Osteo, because it is about our bones, - Archaeology, because we use this information to better understand the behaviors and events experienced by past people. During the course, you will decipher the clues left behind in the skeletons of past peoples with the methods and techniques that are presented. You may also discover some clues hidden in your own skeleton and what they reveal about the life that you are living. Want to know more? You can take a look at the course trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJi22TxzpRw...

Nov 7, 2016

Very informative, a good grounding in the subject, I really felt like I gained a lot of valuable knowledge on the subject that will help me in future endeavors. Very well put-together and organized.

PB
Nov 20, 2016

I took this course to find out what osteoarchaeology was all about. Excellent, excellent course! Well planned, laid out and , and very interesting. I have learned a lot. Thank you!!!

51 - 75 of 138 Reviews for Osteoarchaeology: The Truth in Our Bones

By L L m

Nov 14, 2016

Very interesting course, a lot of information very well explained and showed. Congratulations to all the team that make this course possible !! Thank you very much

By Isabela A F

Jul 4, 2020

This course is marvelous! I really enjoyed doing it and I've already recommended for my friends. Thank you so much for this course and the displayed content!

By Wojciech W

Nov 16, 2018

Amazing course with wonderful teachers and materials. I learned a lot of things about bones and how they help archeologists to understand the past better

By Deborah R C

Jun 29, 2020

I found the course to be interesting and very well taught. I enjoyed learning from this course, and getting my certificate after 5 weeks of hard work.

By Vladislav K

Oct 16, 2017

The course is just awesome! This is an excellent course, best of what I have learned on the web. Thank you, professors, creators and technical team!

By kouassi n c

Feb 3, 2018

Je ne connaissais pas tout cela sur mes os et mes dents quelques trucs mais rien de plus, je suis satisfaite de ce cours il est très instructif

By Lucy

Oct 11, 2020

It takes a lot of work. Rewatching some of the videos to help understand them. I will be taking another course to learn more.

By Veronica E

Sep 20, 2018

I learned a lot and found the assignments relevant and useful for achieving a better understanding the material. Great course!

By Joy L

Feb 2, 2021

Enjoyed the course, so very interesting and learned a whole new way to see history through the past peoples who were there.

By Roger F

Mar 27, 2018

Into the third week and it is very interesting. The 1st MOOC that I have done where there is a weekly assignment to submit!

By Emilio J M V

Jul 19, 2017

muy bueno me cuesta pero muy bueno solo que al habla hispano sin bases buenas en ingles se le complica pero excelente curso

By juan p d r

Oct 27, 2016

Great. I am confident that soon there will be new and more advanced courses

that can perform registration to perform them.

By Derek N

Nov 7, 2016

This is an excellently well presented course that is informative, interesting and challenging. Well worth engaging with.

By Alisse S

Mar 27, 2017

Incredibly informative, builds upon itself, and gives ample opportunity for application in case study assignments.

By Mark E v A

Mar 1, 2017

Very enjoyable. Cool information and the assignments really force you to think critically about your reasoning.

By E M B

Dec 17, 2018

This course provided great illustrations and information regarding the various specialties in human osteology.

By Elisabeth R M

Aug 9, 2020

It was a really wondeful course! I learned so much, thank you very much for all your hard work and time.

By Anne-Marie G

Jan 23, 2017

Loved this course. Allows you to go into more detail if you wish. Friendly lecturer. Facinating subject.

By Maria H

Aug 15, 2017

Loved this course! I learned the basics of everything I wanted to learn and I really enjoyed it!

By Kathlyn T

May 5, 2017

Fantastic, informational, and very fun. I truly enjoyed this course from Universiteit Leiden.

By Yenny A A S

Feb 12, 2019

Excelente curso, contenido especializado pero muy claro, con muchos ejemplos y bibliografía.

By Pat B

Jan 18, 2021

Great course! Made me think and want to learn more. Recommending it to everyone I talk to.

By Richard I M

Jul 4, 2020

This was a very intense and thoughtful course. I found it quite challenging and enjoyable.

By Laura G

Jan 4, 2017

I learn a lot about ancient skeleton and also about my own, in very enjoyable lessons!

By Sam T

Mar 20, 2020

This is a well structured and delivered course covering a fascinating subject.