Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG

Aug 04, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

MB

Jul 26, 2020

The course is very interesting and well presented, the assignments are really helpful for the learning process. I would recommend to anyone interested in design, art, web design or just for curiosity.

501 - 525 of 815 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By rohit b

best course ever!! in dept study

By Donna B

May 14, 2019

I enjoyed this course very much.

By Carlos L

Jun 16, 2017

excelent journey, very useful!!!

By Dee M

Sep 14, 2016

Great course - really insightful

By Ivan K

Dec 10, 2018

Superb course! Very insightful.

By Maqbool A

Jun 07, 2018

great site for online education

By Gayatri S

Feb 03, 2018

Very Helpful Course. Thank You!

By Nadia L

Apr 23, 2016

everything what i need to know!

By Chloé K

Sep 10, 2020

Excellent introductory cource.

By Joyti R P

Jul 21, 2020

A nice combination.I loved it.

By Fidawka S

Nov 01, 2017

I learned a lot in this course

By MARISOL P V

Sep 30, 2017

Very good introductory course!

By Hayden P

Nov 13, 2016

Really Enjoyed it. very Useful

By Dulce A

Apr 07, 2016

I enjoyed the course, too much

By Rolando A

Aug 28, 2020

Very nice and complete course

By Liniya E S

May 01, 2020

Very helpful and interesting!

By Mouhannad A

Jun 10, 2019

It was a good and fun course,

By Nichole B

May 06, 2019

Very good and helpful course.

By Anand V

Jun 28, 2018

helped me to learn typography

By Giorgio Z

Oct 30, 2016

I loved the course! Thank you

By Kenneth D

Aug 10, 2020

Very useful and informative,

By Neil H

Very enjoyable introduction.

By LU F

Apr 02, 2019

I enjoyed this course a lot!

By xi c

Oct 25, 2017

very basic but covered a lot

By Ludmila S

Aug 28, 2017

Love it! Highly recommended!