Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

251 - 275 of 1,024 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By MUHAMMAD T Q

Aug 17, 2020

It enabled me to not just see the words but actually feel them, thank you for this amazing course CALARTS. More Power to you people!

By Mushtaq A R

Oct 17, 2017

I got to learn some useful techniques, terminology and creative ideas in this great course. It's very good especially for beginners.

By Fergus N

May 30, 2016

This was an excellent course with a thoughtful look at typography that achieves a decent breadth of coverage in the short timeframe.

By Alice C

Apr 7, 2016

I learned a lot about typography and I find it very instructional for someone in the beginning. Thank you CalArts and Coursera team!

By Rohan T

Sep 13, 2021

From research on the typeface to the final poster making, I thoroughly experienced how technical and traditional the typography is.

By Pavla V

Jun 23, 2020

I learned a lot about typography. The length of this course is just right. I like the videos which were very informative and short.

By Jose S

Sep 27, 2016

Fun and enjoyable. It has also helped me a lot at work. If you work in Marketing, Advertising and/or Design you'll love this course

By Xiomara C

Apr 28, 2016

I love this course. I learn a lot about typefaces, I used to picked the type just because they look pretty... so wrong with that!!!

By Olena T

Apr 4, 2016

It's very interesting fun and useful course. Every lecture is interesting, every minute! Thanks for your work and perfect lectures!

By Adrianne J

Nov 13, 2021

I really wish this was longer. Typography is so fascinating. Thank you this was a great course, very informative and fun projects.

By alexandra m p

May 12, 2021

I enjoy studying the history of typography, Thank you for the knowledge that you share to us i do really learned a lot from here.

By Lucas B V

Aug 18, 2020

Adorei o curso! Muito bom para aprender coisas novas. Ele é bem organizado e tem também uma boa dose de desafio. Recomendo muito!

By Julia G

Mar 28, 2019

I think this is my favorite course in this specialization, I actually learned a lot about making my written text legible, thanks!

By Bongiwe M M

Jun 29, 2020

Excellent course if you want to learn more about typography, now I know what I didn't know before. Thanks to cousera and CALARTS

By Ramesh I

Jun 12, 2020

very informative and good basics. Must do this course and get a good historical grounding if you are keen on a career in design

By MD. T R

Jun 5, 2020

This course will help you to know in-depth about typeface and its use. After completing assignments I felt I grew as a designer.

By Monique D

Jan 10, 2017

Rich information about the main aspects of Typography for those who don't know where to start. It was a great experience for me.

By Dileep K B

Feb 18, 2020

Amazing experience and skills I learned, not only how to do typography but also I learned How to see the letters in the world.

By Lisa A C

Oct 9, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I won't look at type the same way again. Thanks to all those involved in making this course happen (:

By Fred R

Feb 19, 2017

I loved the course and learnt a lot. Spending one month working on the same font is a great way to learn to see it and use it.

By Tomelilla G

Mar 4, 2020

A fantastic course to give you the basics of typographic theory as well as practical skills for creating great type and text.

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

This is helpful course to learn typography and different typefaces, and know what's the best typeface for your design to use.

By Benjamin H

Oct 5, 2017

Very clear and create video lessons. Examples shown were inspiring and I learned so much that I didn't know about typography.

By Eugen M

Aug 20, 2016

Perfect presentation.

Full of information, but, being excellent exposed, it's relatively easy to understand.

Excellent course!

By Wai Y M

Jul 21, 2020

This is a good course for those who like to improve typographic skill and for the one who wants to dive into graphic design.