Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG

Aug 04, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

SZ

Aug 28, 2020

i really enjoyed this course and i liked the part where we interact with other artists around the world. i learned a lot about typography and i think it'm ready to continue in my journey with art.

276 - 300 of 815 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Richard B

Sep 24, 2020

It's a good introduction to help think about how type will affect your audience. I enjoyed it.

By Sahara Z F

Sep 02, 2020

An amazing second course! If you are interested in Graphic Design or Typography give it a try.

By Assel N

Jul 12, 2016

This course is very informative and interesting! I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

By Jia M

This course gives me a deeper understanding of Typography and better use fonts in the poster.

By Ahsan A

Oct 05, 2018

Perfectly Covered the content. I'll definitely enroll in another course by CALARTS. Loved it!

By Anusha

Oct 15, 2017

I literally love this subject. It has given me a lot a of information from basic to advanced.

By Lynn K

Jan 25, 2017

This course is good to understand basic typography. Teacher had detail and good explanations.

By Mingtao W

May 16, 2019

Very good intro class. Learned a lot of practical skills when applying typography to design.

By Fer G

This course gave a good perspective to what it takes to shape a text by manipulating types.

By Julie L

Aug 05, 2016

Very interesting, you have to always push your limit and experiment to benefit this course!

By Rishabh S

Aug 22, 2020

Now that is exactly what I was looking for when I began searching for a typography course.

By Efren A

Jan 24, 2019

Amazing course! Very well explained, full of useful information and nice to do. Thank you!

By barry m

Oct 12, 2020

Loved this course, in fact am taking 2 more courses to increase my knowledge, thank you.

By Rossana M V B

Sep 14, 2020

AMAZING LEARNED A LOT IN SUCH SN EASY WAY LOVED IT, WOULD RECOMMEND IN FACT ALREADY DID.

By Alice B

Mar 16, 2020

Extremely engaging, very informative, and creative assignments! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By Nicholas S H

May 02, 2019

So far, the most helpful course out of this specialization. Taking the last course soon.

By Lorenzo F

Jul 05, 2017

Amazing course! I love typography and these lectures were very well done and insightful.

By Eugenia S

Aug 08, 2016

I like this course! It realy helps me to understand typography and its usage. Thank you!

By cvandara

Aug 05, 2020

Is an excellent course, great content, instructor and activities. Thanks you for do it.

By Jaspal S R

Aug 07, 2016

Great, how they started the course and finished it, got all the info i was looking for!

By Norman K

Aug 10, 2020

Great instructors and very eye-opening assignments. The knowledge acquired is amazing!

By Leon B

Mar 12, 2019

Basic information, but gave me great insight into how typography is created and works.

By F A

Aug 07, 2018

Very well structured and easy to follow classes.

All Designers should learn this bases.

By Alejandro B

Jul 04, 2020

Excelente curso básico en conocimientos de tipografía, armado de texto y composición.

By Денис

Mar 31, 2017

Great course! Thank you for wide and deep introduction in the world of typograph.