Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

276 - 300 of 998 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Nirav N

Oct 24, 2020

It was a great experience for me to take this course. Making an assignment was really a joy for me. I learnt something new.

By Vineeta K

Jan 12, 2021

i learned so much about typography and was able to experiment and learn what more i could do by typographic understanding.

By christy p

Jun 23, 2016

I really loved this course. I learned more than I ever expected and more than any school I paid double for could teach me!

By Claveau

Feb 1, 2017

My best of the 4th courses on Conception Garphic (impossible to register to the last courses which is Brand New Brand...)

By Jordan L P

Aug 9, 2020

It's absolutely lesson-filled and provides new yet intuitive techniques in using typefaces for design styles and themes.

By Gabriella A

Sep 24, 2021

thank you. im know what is typography and the detail. thank you for the course. i will study more hard. im very like it

By Claudia M L T C

Sep 19, 2020

A good way to learn about typefaces, their parts and how important it is to considerate text even for paraghaphs. Nice!

By Mariana L S

May 15, 2020

Great complementation of the first course. You really learn new skill who help you to create better typographic designs

By SaSha D

May 2, 2019

Amazing! Super helpful! I learned history, terms, helped me with my college courses, and built onto my portfolio. LOVE!

By Tevah P

Apr 14, 2018

The scaffolding of the assignments was really elegant and this class presented a lot of information in engaging videos.

By Мартин М

Mar 20, 2020

It was really great part of course, which gave me a lot of new knowledge. What i like the most - practical cases yeah!

By Justyna B

May 6, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed this course! Especially the little projects - I could actually see my progress. Really recommend.

By Muhammad T

May 3, 2016

Excellent course, I recommend this course to all learners, who want to get introduced with Typography and Typesetting.

By Fides M

Aug 23, 2020

Learned so much about the power of typography! Lectures were clear, projects were fun to do especially the final one.

By Tarik M

Mar 10, 2020

I learned a lot from this course, especially how to see typography in various uses, and how to use it professionally.

By Shanza P

Aug 24, 2021

This course was amazing. It gave me a lot of typography knowledge. Join this course and learn more about typography.

By Mariana G P

May 18, 2021

I really enjoy this course, I have the opportunity to follow my progress improving the works that I had to uploaded.

By Liz H

May 12, 2021

The course was informative and helpful in expanding my understanding of the history and construction of typography.

By samara k

Aug 30, 2019

This course was a great introduction for me into typography. I really grew to love typography and all its elements!

By Juachi O

Sep 21, 2017

Really enjoyed this course. Helped me to really examine my typography choices instead of always working intuitively

By Rudi W

Nov 20, 2020

great! a simple and clear introduction with nice assignments, gives me enough of a base to experiment and practice

By Douaa H

Jul 7, 2020

I recommend this course to anyone who wants to enriched their design skills,

it was very much informative, and fun.

By Neveen F

Jan 5, 2020

I loved it, I learned a lot about typefaces, the way this course was designed is impressive, thank you very much!

By Michael D

Mar 21, 2016

Lectures are great - very informative and interesting. I appreciate the work that went in to creating the course!

By mandy B e

Sep 4, 2020

i learn a lot in this class . this is the easy class i took , love it

learn about art and i love doing art class