Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

AS

Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

BG

Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

1026 - 1050 of 1,130 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By David K

Jan 30, 2021

Good overall. Interesting videos and assignments. Could go in more depths for a four-week course though.

By Lize J O

Dec 2, 2022

It is a great course to learn online. The only flaw is some of the Peer Graded comment is not helpful.

By Devi R

Mar 8, 2017

Very Helpful! But maybe when an experienced lecturer grades the assignments it will make a difference.

By Simmy S

The course was exactly what I was looking for, I would have loved to have a more advanced course too.

By Gyula W

Jan 22, 2017

Course stuff could have better interaction and response time and grading could be more challenging.

By PANCHAL H B

Apr 18, 2021

It was really nice to learn about typo on this platform. With the help of lectures and assignment.

By MistopherChristopher

Sep 24, 2019

it felt a lot the same as another course but teaches you how to look from another perspective too

By Robert O A

Aug 25, 2017

Interesting entry lesson to typography and went through all basic rules of thumb on how to think.

By Sasha R

Mar 29, 2017

Good short course. I would have like a few more quizzes on top of the assignements for repetition

By Amélie P

Jun 2, 2018

Really cool course! But it was really to short. More lectures and more projects should be great.

By Kirstin H

Jul 30, 2020

Wish we where given more direction and examples of what was wanted.

But enjoyed the instructor.

By Abbie W

Apr 11, 2017

I would like some input from the instructors on all the Graphic Design specialization courses.

By Margaret T

May 16, 2020

I understand more about typography and learnt the theory behind. The assignments are useful

By Pennie C

May 27, 2017

Typography got really interesting after the teacher told many different artists in history.

By Chris S

Feb 4, 2017

Very basic introduction to typography. The material a bit more simplistic than I had hoped.

By Felix T

Jul 12, 2022

I learned a bit about Typography and its history! A really good class for new beginners.

By 邱菁

May 15, 2016

Nice course! Hope the teacher can give us more instruction about how to design typography.

By Shaivy B

Oct 17, 2017

not being able to submit my assignments even though I took a financial aid, please help

By spencer z

Aug 5, 2017

i would prefer more case study or posters comparison! but still, this class is awesome!

By Sandesh S

Feb 22, 2017

The course was really fun and I learned a lot. I wish there was more to this course.

By Andrea S A

Jun 28, 2020

It's very helpful to understand how important is the typography in any composition

By Rose J

Apr 18, 2021

This course was really interesting too much history about different type faces.

By Joly F Z

Jun 14, 2018

A good intro course to Typograph - with basic information and practical skills.

By James H

Apr 1, 2018

A few key snippets here and there have really enhanced my typographic fluency.

By Masahiro S

Dec 1, 2016

I could learn this course in the "step by step" way, by refined assignments.