Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG

Aug 04, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

SK

Jun 05, 2020

Loved that the main typeface study was carried out throughout this course. Loved beginning with the writing assignment and then evolving into a full on typographic poster. Very fun and informative

126 - 150 of 823 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Yunshu

Jan 09, 2017

I have learnt a lot from this introduction course. The peer reviewed assignments also give me the opportunities to see works from other students and inspire me more. Thank you!

By QUIAWAN, D M (

Oct 26, 2020

Thank you very much!!! In a short period of time, I have learned new terminologies and gained new design perspectives that are remarkably significant to my chosen career path.

By Eva H

Nov 26, 2017

Great course. I love the videos; they are short, specific and right to the main points. I enjoyed all the assignments and creating my designs from scratch.

Thanks to the tutor!

By Veena V

May 09, 2016

The course material is very informative and delves into the history and evolution of typography. The assignments are very interesting and help understand the concepts better.

By Audrey R M

Oct 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. The video presentations are not only informative but interesting as well. The prof is knowledgeable and good at explaining concepts. Five stars.

By Eugenia R

May 13, 2020

I really appreciated the clarity with how the classes are given, and the projects really makes you understand or at least put into use all that was given in the weeks videos.

By udit k

Dec 26, 2017

I liked it. I am graphic designer by profession, but some things are highlighted only when you make the effort to take such courses which provide a brief in-depth overview.

By Mirza B

Aug 22, 2017

A must take course for Graphic Designing learners. Faculty was very helping and lectures & assignments are not too difficult for the ones having some background knowledge.

By Kassandra G C

I think the course is excellent but I stumble upon different cases of plagiarism in the assignments. So maybe the instructions could be clearer to avoid these situations.

By Angel D M G

Apr 03, 2020

Excelente curso, una muy buena forma de enseñar la denotación y connotación de las letras y palabras, el impacto que pueden tener y las composiciones que se pueden lograr

By Joshua B

May 16, 2018

Love this course, really inspired a love a typography in me that i never new existed, as well as teaching me some handy skills. Words will never look the same. 5 stars :)

By Hezekiah A

Jun 19, 2017

I will recommend all student who attempted the graphic design course to also take on the introduction to typography, its necessary i n understanding fonts and their use.

By Nathaniel M Z

May 10, 2016

I love this course my introduction to typography is great. The lesson wasn't too much to handle. We focused on the basics and I learned to appreciate type and it's usage

By Stefan D

Mar 14, 2016

If you get confused every time you open the font selection dialog then this course is for you. It well structured has a lot of visuals. I highly recommend this course.

By Mark H

Sep 08, 2020

I learned so much about Typography in this course. In my opinion, this course requires the most note-taking of the five classes in the Graphic Design Specialization.

By Joel D B

Nov 19, 2017

Very good and well-structured introductory course. Information is clearly laid out in engaging videos, and each new exercise builds satisfyingly on the previous week.

By David A V D S

Apr 29, 2018

In this course I took a new experience in relation to what I knew I have several years as a freelancer and only now I understand how to get to know the types. Great!

By Anusha M

Jul 02, 2020

The course is very detailed and informative. Provides very good material on typography, history of typography and efficiently dissects the properties of typography.

By Leisa R

Feb 17, 2017

This was my first introduction to Typography. I played around a little with calligraphy as a hobby. I learned so much from taking this class and by far my favorite.

By Tristan S

Jan 11, 2018

A really informative course. The lectures tie in nicely with the assignments, which have given me a much greater understanding of how to use typography in my work.

By Aakanksha T

Apr 14, 2016

As a self-taught designer, this course helped me learn a lot more about typography than good ol' hands-on experience has, to date. Great course. Thanks so much! :)

By Brianna P

Apr 07, 2016

This class gave a great introduction to Typography! The instructor did a great job at bringing Typography to life. The content of the course was very approachable.

By SHAFIA N

Jul 31, 2020

Its amazing!

In this cours i read about typefaces and create logo.

I don't know! What is topography?

But when I read about it ,then I am understand topography .

By Zackary A K

Jul 06, 2017

This was a very enjoyable introduction to Typography. The more I study typography, the more I am able to appreciate the high quality of this brief introduction.