Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

AS
Apr 12, 2021

This was an excellent course. I learned a whole lot about typography. The videos and assignments were interesting and challenging. I'm happy I was able to complete this course and highly recommend it!

201 - 225 of 964 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By namrata

May 24, 2019

It has been very interesting to build patience & learning in this course. Typography has made me look beyond the four walls and built my own typeface.

By Luka D

Apr 6, 2016

Excellent course as a graphic design practitioner and avid reader of typography books i still found plenty of new facts. Its very well thought through

By Mine I

Aug 9, 2020

This course is very beneficial for beginners to typography. If you are interested do not miss it. Assignments can be improved to be more challenging.

By SYED Q

Jun 19, 2017

one of the important course for every graphic designer who wants to do some thing new and play with there art should choose this.

very helpful for me.

By Alex H

Feb 11, 2021

Great foundation and good selection of topics even for people with existing typography knowledge. Good assignments to put the knowledge to practice.

By Nick P

Oct 31, 2020

Gives a really nice background in typography to give you a nice base. Really just focus on one typeface, but a nice way to dive in and play with it

By Henry H

Mar 29, 2020

Excellent course. Covers a good breadth of typographic info and then sets the student up to learn the process of designing and composing with type.

By Gaetano S

Apr 2, 2016

It was truly inspirational. Loved the theory associated with more practical assignments and, above all, the teacher was extremely clear and concise

By Karen M

Feb 8, 2021

I really found this course very informative and helpful. I felt challenged, and I do appreciate that. Thanks to all those involved in the process.

By Mohamed Q

Jun 10, 2020

Very good course, it is straight to the point, I made tasks with my hand, and I've discovered creative ideas because of this course' instructions.

By Jennifer H

Sep 22, 2016

Great course on typography. It gives great historical background on various typefaces and explains a lot of the technical pieces to them as well.

By Robert D

Jan 22, 2021

Excellent introduction to the world of typography. Hit all the terms and techniques it needed to, and provided a good foundation to build off of.

By Ayatalla H E

Jul 7, 2020

Not biggest fan of type and using it in graphic design, i however loved how this course pushed me into it, and made me see it in a different way

By Christopher G

Jul 5, 2020

Really helped me! There is true quality content here! Even though I had done two semesters at Uni of Design I still learnt a lot of new things.

By Julie W

Mar 28, 2020

Very interesting content (surprisingly so). Loved the brevity of the lectures (lots of info packed in small spaces) and meaningful assignments.

By Chryssel M B

Dec 26, 2017

The course was really fun and knowledgeable. I am excited to apply what I have learned here and increase my chances of getting a full-time job!

By Dudy M

Jan 18, 2021

I definitely learned a lot and look forward to learning more. Challenged me to keep diligent. Kept me motivated with many tools and reminders.

By Gerdel P

Jun 10, 2020

This course was very well designed to learn typography. The assignments were accurate to understand type and it was overall an amazing course.

By Juan C E

Nov 14, 2016

This course works as a reminder and as an inspiring turning point for my career. Great job curating the contents and choosing the teachers.

By Angelica B

Oct 31, 2016

I absolutely loved this course and I could see the impact it had on my design work. It has been the perfect basis to learn about Typography.

By Elina T

Nov 22, 2016

Starting the course I wasn't that into typography. The seminar gave me an other more interesting and creative point of view on that field.

By Carissa F

Mar 31, 2016

great introduction to key concepts of typography and typographic design. lectures were easy to follow, assignments had clear instructions.

By Utpal B

Feb 9, 2017

This is a very helpful course with in depth coverage of typographic conventions, its impact and guide on creating marvellous type design.

By Esperanza A

Mar 8, 2021

Ha sido una experiencia satisfactoria, porque he alcanzado nuevas habilidades y conocimientos muy útiles para el logro de mis objetivos.

By Rui A M d S

This was something I wanted to learn for a while. As an introduction, this part of the course worked really well and I'm very satisfied.