Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG

Aug 04, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

SZ

Aug 28, 2020

i really enjoyed this course and i liked the part where we interact with other artists around the world. i learned a lot about typography and i think it'm ready to continue in my journey with art.

76 - 100 of 819 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Claudia U R

Nov 18, 2019

Great Introduction to the uses of typography in Graphic Design and how it can be applied. Valuable theoretical and practical content. I enjoyed a lot taking this course. Thank you so much for making this course available for all of us.

By Laurel B

Mar 14, 2018

The instructor is interesting and thorough, and the assignments help to put our newly gained knowledge to use. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn more about typography and get a little practice in it!

By Liubov S

Dec 04, 2019

This was a very interesting course. It gave me an understanding of how to approach typefaces and what I should consider. But most importantly it was a lot of fun to complete assignments and in the end I got a result I'm very fond of.

By Lili C

Apr 12, 2016

I really enjoyed the historical background this course provided. Since finishing the course, I've started to develop a love for typography and it seems to pop into my mind more often when I read or see something visually stimulating.

By Олександр С М

Nov 07, 2018

Thank you so much for such a great course! For valuable knowledge, great editing and fun activities. I will be definitely recommending this course to my friends who are also interested in Graphic Design. Wish you all the best! Alex.

By Patricia A

Jan 24, 2017

This was a fantastic course in typography. I learned so much about "font". I never imagined all the work that goes into creating new typeface. I was impressed by the history, the process and the strong messages behind each typeface.

By Shirlena R

May 24, 2016

This course also fed my artistic fantasy and allowed me to lose myself in knowledge. I'm still going over what I learned from this course in my head. I even create aside from this course. I don't want to stop and Professor Anther

By Sara L

Jul 05, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I have learned a lot about Type and the history behind it. I wish the instructor could review our assignments but I understand that there is way too many students and it would be quite impossible.

By Muhammad W A

Sep 12, 2020

Truly very nice and concise course. The instructor Anther Kiley personality and way of instructions are fascinating . I'm feeling proud to be a part of this course and specialization. Love CalArts and Coursera.org Thanks all

By Gerardo A V

Oct 06, 2020

Even though the course is only 4 weeks long, it packs in everything you need to know to start understanding and playing with typography. I enjoyed the assignments, though I wish i could spend much more time playing around.

By Kristen F

Jul 08, 2017

This class ended up being way more interesting than I originally expected it to be, and the last project was a great way to tie in all of the things we have learned up to that point. I definitely feel like I learned a lot.

By Katarzyna C

Aug 31, 2020

Absolutely great! It has some knowledge that should be thought to all students, of all specializations allowing them to write in a way that is pleasing to the eye and easy to follow (based on rules of text organization).

By Katty A

Apr 17, 2016

A very good introduction to typography. Makes you face some aspects of text editing that were obscure before. Assignments are not overwhelmingly hard but tricky in details and interesting for investigation and execution.

By Emanuel A

Jun 28, 2020

I had a new typography perception, before I didn't know the story. And I saw the power that writing has in our history. It was a period of great learning that I will keep forever in this first typography course I took.

By Alexandra K

May 31, 2016

For me as a complete beginner in typography that was a really informative course. It is a beginner's level, lets you understand if you want to study typography further or that would be enough for your purposes. Thanks!

By Maged E S

Apr 18, 2018

please update the videos as soon as possible because found in this course and other courses that the videos were recorded in 2013-2014 and the quality some times is horrible and maybe to improve sound quality as well.

By Maureen O

Oct 09, 2019

GREAT TEACHERS! GREAT COURSE OUTLINE! GREAT ASSIGNMENTS AND QUIZZES..WORKED MY ASS OUT. I'M GLAD I TOOK THIS COURSE..IT HAS AIDED ME IN LEARNING ABOUT TYPOGRAPHY AND ITS USAGE AND IMPACT IN DESIGNING TODAY.

By Rebecca C

Apr 07, 2020

Introduction to Typography was very informative and had a lot of useful information. The videos were very detailed and easy to understand. The assignments instructions and expectations were outlined well.

By Andrea R

Aug 16, 2019

Because letters are not just letters... You can communicate more than just words and ideas, you can communicate a time, place, feelings, etc when the correct typography... this is what this course is about.

By Rhonda C

May 31, 2019

This course is a very good introduction to typography - it's history, technological advances, layout design and composition. It helps prove how important it is in choosing the right typeface for a project.

By Rita K

Jan 19, 2018

In the Graphic Design Specialisation this course is my favourite so far. The videos are great, the assignments are interesting. After this introductory course I would love a Typography specialization too.

By Muhammad I

That was so much fun playing with the typefaces and their making. I was always overwhelmed by the typography but I am more confident now that at last I can manipulate them and get benefits in my designs.

By Anastasia W

Oct 10, 2016

I learned so much from this course. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get a quick introduction to typography. The instructor does an excellent job in both explaining and illustrating topics.

By Diana-Mihaela S

Aug 12, 2016

I highly recommend this course! Before taking it, typography was some sort of mystical art, now everything is crystal clear. Concise and to the point, the course allows you to gain essential knowledge.

By Mariana B B

Jul 26, 2020

The course is very interesting and well presented, the assignments are really helpful for the learning process. I would recommend to anyone interested in design, art, web design or just for curiosity.