Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

LS
Apr 6, 2016

Very organized and detailed about the basic, history, characteristics of typography.\n\nI really enjoyed it and wish there were other courses by the same lecturer.\n\nThanks for the great course!!

451 - 475 of 840 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Rounak B

Apr 5, 2019

Quite an eye-opener as far as type is concerned.

By Leticia C R

Jul 17, 2016

Loved the activities, it was a fun course to do.

By Anna S

Sep 22, 2019

Very good course, amazing exercises. Thank you!

By Jennifer C

Sep 1, 2017

Perfect content, homework design, and examples.

By Marta M

Apr 23, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. I've learn a lot.

By Edmond T

Feb 20, 2017

Good introduction to typography. Learned a lot.

By Sandy G

May 5, 2020

Great class! Learned a lot, really enjoyed it!

By Fatima H S E I S

Oct 18, 2018

Very useful and I have learnt a lot of things.

By Iosi P

Dec 16, 2017

Best cources I take for typography. I love it.

By Анна П

Apr 27, 2019

very well built course and compiled homework.

By Jose H

Oct 14, 2017

Great Course for extend typography knowledge.

By Gustavo P

Sep 26, 2016

Excellent teacher, course and specialization.

By Mahmoud M

Very useful course, special thanks Coursera.

By Ismail A

Apr 1, 2019

great class! Im a beginner and learned a lot

By Zubia S

Oct 9, 2020

it helps me a lot to understand typography.

By Pinnoju Y

Sep 8, 2020

that was an excellent and wonderfull course

By Vlada S

Jul 27, 2020

Very interesting and well-explained course.

By MALDENIYA A D S B M

Jun 15, 2020

I enjoyed a lot. But its soo beginer course

By Thuc-Vy N

Nov 21, 2016

It was a nice class. I learned many things.

By Anne W

Jun 25, 2016

Great tutor and introduction to Typography!

By Nicole F

Jun 7, 2016

For a short course it worked out very well.

By Carla P L

Apr 19, 2016

Loved it!!! Super helpful and fun! Amazing!

By Mamatter S

Sep 1, 2020

I learn a lot of new thinks. Great course.

By Komeyl M

Jul 12, 2020

Very good. Thanks to Coursera and CalArts.

By Huyen T N

Jun 26, 2020

I have improved a lot. Thank you so much!!