Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

MB
Jul 25, 2020

The course is very interesting and well presented, the assignments are really helpful for the learning process. I would recommend to anyone interested in design, art, web design or just for curiosity.

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

126 - 150 of 876 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Russel Q

Jun 23, 2019

The discerning use of Type has always escaped me. This class helped me see Type blocks as objects in addition to understanding the characteristics of type. Good class by Anther Kiley.

By Alim B

Dec 17, 2020

This is some really professional grade knowledge. I did not know that this course could have such a great impact on my ideology of design. This changed everything I think about design.

By Susan H

May 24, 2019

Really thorough for an introductory class. The supplementary materials invite the student to go deeper. Made me get out there and get my feet wet in InDesign - fun and good learning!

By Rosa P M V

Aug 26, 2017

I didn't have any idea about all concepts related to Typography. I learned so much that now I see the world in a different way. Now I understand the relation between words and things.

By Jemma H

Apr 14, 2020

I really enjoyed this course as a photographer who studied design I did not go into detail in my degree as to the specifics of typography. I found it beneficial to fill in some gaps.

By Shreya S

Apr 8, 2018

This course helped me understand the basics of typography as well as propelled to experiment with layouts, the composition and collaborate with peers. It was fun learning experience.

By Tsvetelina M

Apr 14, 2020

Typography has always been hard for me. This course makes it way easier to understand typography and how to use it to convey the correct message. I will have so much fun designing..

By Manon P

Oct 10, 2019

Loved it! I've learned so much about typefaces, typography in general. We use it and see it everyday but we don't really know what's behind it, so this course was very interesting!

By Nuha f

Jun 15, 2020

I loved this course. It came with good quality content and easy to follow guidelines. A systematic and practical approach for learning typography and getting a basic idea about it

By Aleksandar J

May 2, 2019

I'm very satisfied with this course overall! Tutorials were clear and interesting and it raised my interest for typography in general. I would recommend it to anybody interested!

By Hasnat A H

Sep 4, 2020

The course shows one the influences and impacts of typefaces in different medias. The peer-graded assignments were very enjoyable. Experimenting with various typefaces was fun.

By Yunshu

Jan 8, 2017

I have learnt a lot from this introduction course. The peer reviewed assignments also give me the opportunities to see works from other students and inspire me more. Thank you!

By QUIAWAN, D M (

Oct 25, 2020

Thank you very much!!! In a short period of time, I have learned new terminologies and gained new design perspectives that are remarkably significant to my chosen career path.

By Eva H

Nov 26, 2017

Great course. I love the videos; they are short, specific and right to the main points. I enjoyed all the assignments and creating my designs from scratch.

Thanks to the tutor!

By Veena V

May 9, 2016

The course material is very informative and delves into the history and evolution of typography. The assignments are very interesting and help understand the concepts better.

By Malena P

Nov 9, 2020

This course shares valuable information, the facilitator is clear and friendly in his explanations and the exercises are interesting. Really enjoyed the experience. Thank you

By Audrey R M

Oct 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. The video presentations are not only informative but interesting as well. The prof is knowledgeable and good at explaining concepts. Five stars.

By Eugenia R

May 12, 2020

I really appreciated the clarity with how the classes are given, and the projects really makes you understand or at least put into use all that was given in the weeks videos.

By udit k

Dec 26, 2017

I liked it. I am graphic designer by profession, but some things are highlighted only when you make the effort to take such courses which provide a brief in-depth overview.

By Mirza B

Aug 22, 2017

A must take course for Graphic Designing learners. Faculty was very helping and lectures & assignments are not too difficult for the ones having some background knowledge.

By Kassandra G C

I think the course is excellent but I stumble upon different cases of plagiarism in the assignments. So maybe the instructions could be clearer to avoid these situations.

By Angel D M G

Apr 3, 2020

Excelente curso, una muy buena forma de enseñar la denotación y connotación de las letras y palabras, el impacto que pueden tener y las composiciones que se pueden lograr

By Joshua B

May 16, 2018

Love this course, really inspired a love a typography in me that i never new existed, as well as teaching me some handy skills. Words will never look the same. 5 stars :)

By Hezekiah A

Jun 19, 2017

I will recommend all student who attempted the graphic design course to also take on the introduction to typography, its necessary i n understanding fonts and their use.

By Nathaniel M Z

May 10, 2016

I love this course my introduction to typography is great. The lesson wasn't too much to handle. We focused on the basics and I learned to appreciate type and it's usage