Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG

Aug 04, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

LS

Apr 07, 2016

Very organized and detailed about the basic, history, characteristics of typography.\n\nI really enjoyed it and wish there were other courses by the same lecturer.\n\nThanks for the great course!!

176 - 200 of 820 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Aya E

Jul 07, 2020

Not biggest fan of type and using it in graphic design, i however loved how this course pushed me into it, and made me see it in a different way

By Christopher G

Jul 05, 2020

Really helped me! There is true quality content here! Even though I had done two semesters at Uni of Design I still learnt a lot of new things.

By Julie W

Mar 28, 2020

Very interesting content (surprisingly so). Loved the brevity of the lectures (lots of info packed in small spaces) and meaningful assignments.

By Chryssel M B

Dec 27, 2017

The course was really fun and knowledgeable. I am excited to apply what I have learned here and increase my chances of getting a full-time job!

By Gerdel P

Jun 10, 2020

This course was very well designed to learn typography. The assignments were accurate to understand type and it was overall an amazing course.

By Juan C E

Nov 14, 2016

This course works as a reminder and as an inspiring turning point for my career. Great job curating the contents and choosing the teachers.

By Angelica B

Oct 31, 2016

I absolutely loved this course and I could see the impact it had on my design work. It has been the perfect basis to learn about Typography.

By Eleni T

Nov 22, 2016

Starting the course I wasn't that into typography. The seminar gave me an other more interesting and creative point of view on that field.

By Carissa F

Apr 01, 2016

great introduction to key concepts of typography and typographic design. lectures were easy to follow, assignments had clear instructions.

By Utpal B

Feb 09, 2017

This is a very helpful course with in depth coverage of typographic conventions, its impact and guide on creating marvellous type design.

By Rui A M d S

This was something I wanted to learn for a while. As an introduction, this part of the course worked really well and I'm very satisfied.

By Suneth

Apr 30, 2020

This was a great course! Learned a lot about the development of typefaces and importance of them in a design and how to manipulate them.

By Pranjal S

May 22, 2016

This course is an essential if you want to be deft with Fonts and Typefaces.

Brilliantly explained! Thanks to the professor, loved it!!!!

By Elisabeth Z

May 04, 2016

Great course - lots of detailed information. The teacher spoke clearly and very deliberate. However, I just wanted to audit the course.

By Sakshi

Aug 15, 2020

Excellent content, wonderfully presented. I had a great learning experience. Thank you so much to the instructor, CALARTS and Coursera!

By Felicia C

Jul 07, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! The assignments were manageable but still pushed you to be step out of the box and be more creative.

Mar 18, 2019

Brilliant! Cool projects and very well explained. I learnt a lot. Thanks and pls keep up the great work. This course is very valuable.

By Tawanna C

Jan 09, 2017

Great course! It's a very introductory type course into typography. Very easy to understand and learn about typography. I enjoyed it.

By Martin L M

Sep 06, 2020

This was such a great learning experience! I was always interested in Typography and this course was everything I expected and more!

By Muhammad T Q

Aug 17, 2020

It enabled me to not just see the words but actually feel them, thank you for this amazing course CALARTS. More Power to you people!

By Mushtaq A R

Oct 17, 2017

I got to learn some useful techniques, terminology and creative ideas in this great course. It's very good especially for beginners.

By Fergus N

May 30, 2016

This was an excellent course with a thoughtful look at typography that achieves a decent breadth of coverage in the short timeframe.

By Alice C

Apr 07, 2016

I learned a lot about typography and I find it very instructional for someone in the beginning. Thank you CalArts and Coursera team!

By Pavla V

Jun 23, 2020

I learned a lot about typography. The length of this course is just right. I like the videos which were very informative and short.

By José R S L

Sep 27, 2016

Fun and enjoyable. It has also helped me a lot at work. If you work in Marketing, Advertising and/or Design you'll love this course