Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

AF

Mar 15, 2016

This course excellent provides all the basic information which is important and necessary would recommend the course to all the newbies in financial markets\n\nP.S:The professors are AMAZING!

26 - 50 of 497 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Spencer M

Mar 30, 2019

Among other things, it helped me understand how to properly assess the value of bonds vs equities, assessing the value of securities across global markets, and showed me the role Central Banks play in managing the economy.

By Prince V

Feb 07, 2019

wonderful cognitive approach

By Julio O S D J

Apr 04, 2019

Very good, instructions are very clear and the explanations are well based

By Thomas H

Mar 31, 2019

This course has been absolutely exceptional. In being my first experience with Coursera, I have been extremely satisfied with the content of the course, the approach and teaching methods of the lecturers and the platform itself. I will definitely continue studying and increase my knowledge with Coursera!

By Nadim K

Apr 10, 2019

Excellent course. If there is one thing I'd recommend you do, it is to keep updating the examples and data used. Some of the data used in the course I just took were from 2013. But this does not impact on the usefulness of the course--just distracts from the fact that what we are learning was applicable as much in 2013 as it is now. I have spent 30 years assessing investments for Official Development Assistance (ODA) sources of funding or public sector funding...I needed a course just like this (and more like this) to get on the steep learning curve for understanding and hopefully designing investments using private sector, bonds and "blended" sources of funding. Thank you.

By Tamara L

Apr 14, 2019

I learned a lot from this course. It was more that what I expected. I am very satisfied and grateful for having this opportunity. I strongly recommend this course.

By Octaviano A

Mar 12, 2019

very nice course

By Johry L

Mar 04, 2019

This course provided me a thorough understanding of Financial Market. I would recommend all of those wish to get thorough financial market understanding, should enroll for this course.

By Akshit A

Mar 09, 2019

Great course for beginners and Kudos to Prof. Girardin for a clear understanding!

By Arthur G

Mar 17, 2019

Thanks, this was an invaluably refreshing course for me. I got a chance to revise and deepen my understanding of investments and financial markets since I graduated from another university 5 years ago. Thanks the University of Geneva, UBS and Coursera teams for putting this course together!

By ARVIND K S

Mar 18, 2019

Excellent course to start learning portfolio management. Very high on concepts such as asset classes, alternative asset classes, hedge funds management, valuations, learning from clients, emerging markets etc. Lays a strong foundation for the other courses in the specialization. Lectures by UBS executives have a strong practical content. Would have liked it to be a little more quantitative, though.

By Saptarshi D

Jan 06, 2019

No doubt that the profs were amazing communicators with root level knowledge and experience. I particularly liked Professor Michel Girardin for his interesting, humorous and innovative ways of explaining stuff! Overall a brilliant experience learning financial markets. I highly recommend this. Thank you Coursera!

By José F A d V V

Dec 05, 2018

This course give me a solid general view of financial markets.

By Mukesh A

Dec 25, 2018

Dr. Michel has an extremely intuitive and easy way to explain complex topics. Highly recommend even if you have been working in financial industry for a number of years.

By Enrico S

Jan 20, 2019

This course is wonderful. I have 35 years of experience of study in the markets and i think that this course is well done.All the teachers are very competent

By VINICIUS D S G

Mar 10, 2019

Curso excepcional, completamente interterativo e com uma didativa incrivel!

By Fábio C F J

Feb 13, 2019

By VISHAL P M

Jul 15, 2018

I followed this course in order to developed my professional skills.And It was great experience learning with these course.

By Marco C

Jul 15, 2018

Lessons very interesting. It gave me a good overall of what are the financial market.

By Qianwen O

Jul 13, 2018

Very interesting, and great content, eager to finish the whole specialization. :)

By VAIBHAV B

Sep 08, 2018

Quite elucidating course as everything is explained well and from the scratch with pertinent illustrations for better comprehensibility.

By S S P

Sep 27, 2018

Great Teaching!!

By Alain J M C

Aug 27, 2018

Muy buen curso, excelentes profesores que aplican la teoría a casos prácticos

By 向灿

Aug 12, 2018

Very concise course in fundamental financial markets, absolutely suitable for beginners. The workload of one week is reasonably low, most of videos are 10 minutes or so, sometimes slides goes maybe a little fast for beginners but you can always pause to have a better look at the slides. I like Michel the most, he is very well prepared with the materials and sometimes he will surprise you with some "experiments", and of course he will always amuse you by his charming smile.

By Shanmugavel S

Aug 15, 2018

Awesome! It was a Great way to learn about Financial markets. Michel Girardin is Great!