Back to Understanding Obesity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Obesity by The University of Edinburgh

In this course, we’ll look at the facts and misconceptions around obesity and discuss key physiological and psychological concepts around the brain’s control of appetite and body weight. We’ll consider the biological and environmental pressures that make it easy to gain weight (and hard to lose it!). Most importantly, we'll give you the opportunity to reflect on your own knowledge and assumptions around the subject. We deliver course materials as a mixture of videos, audio-only MOOCcasts, and a selection of short readings. There are short weekly quizzes, a peer-reviewed exercise, and discussion activities on the forum. These will help you prepare for the final project. In it, you are invited to demonstrate your evidence-informed understanding and express how you'll develop it beyond the course. The course features Citizen Science projects. We'll collect data from you (anonymously, of course) and use it to drive participant-led discussions of controversial ideas. In this way, we hope to explore ideas around diet and obesity. These projects also give a taste of how scientific evidence is collected and interpreted by scientists, and give some indication how much there still is to discover and understand....

AD

Aug 19, 2017

Very well addressed from different aspects. Helped forming a solid foundation to address the obesity problem as well as to make good food choices with portion control.

HA

Apr 26, 2020

enjoyed learning about obesity and learning to identify facts vs assumptions. I hope to help support people around me who have obesity issue.

51 - 71 of 71 Reviews for Understanding Obesity

Aug 12, 2017

Muito bom

By Elsemarie V d W

Apr 28, 2020

Some interesting studies are mentioned, dispelling some common beliefs around obesity. I was hoping for more instructive conclusions that could be applied to assist in relieving obesity. I would like to receive a sporadic summary of truly useful action steps from the last assignment in the course when consolidated by the research team at the University of Edinburgh.

P.S.: item 2.3 seems to be missing from the structure of the course.

By Adhithya S

Apr 23, 2020

This course was well constructed, it took a conversational approach of discussing and explaining the concepts. I felt that the instructors could have tried to summarize every session. It would have been beneficial. Overall a good insight into obesity and weight related disorders.

By Ange R

Oct 01, 2017

Great for a podcast-type learning experience. I question some of the research results they mention, which is my only concern. Otherwise a great course and very educational! Corrects a lot of common misconceptions and does a good job of getting in-depth without being specialized.

By Helen B C

May 07, 2018

This course was really interesting, it covered a wide range of topics and supported assertions with evidence. It was quite quick and easy to complete, but I certainly learned new ways to tackle my own unhealthy eating habits. Thank you

By Monica

Aug 21, 2017

Updated introduction and understanding of this popular topic in health. Worth to take time to learn not only for health promoter but those want to help friends and family members on this.

By Borbála B

Nov 02, 2017

It is a great course but I didn't was so happy when I could only listen. I prefer the videos, this is why I give only 4 stars. But it was really interesting, thanks a lot!

By Afonso J

Jan 10, 2018

Great experience

This was great experience, with thouthful insight’s.

Looking forward for STEP 2 - Episode 2, “UNDERSTANDING OBESITY_Univ Edinburgh”…

By Kate B

Mar 07, 2019

Why wasn't the world's sedentary lifestyle not discussed as a cause of weight gain?

By Fumio S

Sep 19, 2018

It was a very interesting lecture.

By Ahmad A

Jan 06, 2018

thanks for an excellent course

By Virat M

Apr 20, 2020

A good course for a preliminary understanding of the complex issues regarding Obesity. Felt it was too basic and covered the topics very superficially. I wish some more depth had been explored and controversial issues brought out. Also, no links to interesting blogs and research were provided. I would rank it as just average.

By Leigh-Ann S

Feb 19, 2017

A good introduction for "beginners", aka people who are not involved, educated or interested in public health, healthcare. Alternatively, seek another course because it is very simple.

By Iram A

Dec 06, 2017

Because can only take the final quiz once and its not really related to what i studied... :(

By Mark

Aug 25, 2017

Covers the basics well, but a little more simplistic than I was expecting.

By Karla i H

Jul 02, 2020

Es muy lamentable que sólo este en inglés y no en otros idiomas como el español, es el cuarto cursó en Línea que tomó aqui en cursera y fue triste quere aprender y que el idioma fuera un impedimento