Back to The Unix Workbench

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Unix Workbench by Johns Hopkins University

Unix forms a foundation that is often very helpful for accomplishing other goals you might have for you and your computer, whether that goal is running a business, writing a book, curing disease, or creating the next great app. The means to these goals are sometimes carried out by writing software. Software can’t be mined out of the ground, nor can software seeds be planted in spring to harvest by autumn. Software isn’t produced in factories on an assembly line. Software is a hand-made, often bespoke good. If a software developer is an artisan, then Unix is their workbench. Unix provides an essential and simple set of tools in a distraction-free environment. Even if you’re not a software developer learning Unix can open you up to new methods of thinking and novel ways to scale your ideas. This course is intended for folks who are new to programming and new to Unix-like operating systems like macOS and Linux distributions like Ubuntu. Most of the technologies discussed in this course will be accessed via a command line interface. Command line interfaces can seem alien at first, so this course attempts to draw parallels between using the command line and actions that you would normally take while using your mouse and keyboard. You’ll also learn how to write little pieces of software in a programming language called Bash, which allows you to connect together the tools we’ll discuss. My hope is that by the end of this course you be able to use different Unix tools as if they’re interconnecting Lego bricks....

RW

Apr 30, 2020

This is a very friendly step-by-step guide to Unix for beginners, it helps to build a solid foundation, and the exercises are designed to explore more about what has been introduced in the course.

KS

Jan 29, 2018

A wonderful course! Answered so many questions I had and gave me a solid background in Git, Bash, makefiles, and working from the cloud. I will definitely be using these skills in my job search!

51 - 75 of 286 Reviews for The Unix Workbench

By Каранько А С

Apr 17, 2020

I have warm feeling about this course. I received basic knowledge of unix commands, bash programming, Git tool. And practice lessons helped me to increase undestanding of this things.

By Ajeetkumar V

Dec 31, 2017

Nice content to get you started with Unix and it's power. It would have been good if it would have covered symbolic links and file structure. those are anyway covered in the book

By Prakhar T

May 26, 2019

The course was really interactive. It was a fun experience.

Would have been better if you had provided the learning experience in visual form rather readable.

Anyways Kudos!

By Priyanshu T

Sep 01, 2019

Thanks to this course I was able to learn git. Git really saved me when I was doing my Qt assignments cause sometimes it was really difficult to find what broke the code.

By Aneesh R

Jun 12, 2020

Amazing course, the course content is very clear. There are many linked resources for practising as well

Suggestion: Could add a few explanatory videos but not necessary

By Haseeb Q

Dec 15, 2018

Excellent introduction to the command line and github. Great as it goes past superificial introductions and teaches programming and manipulation of the command line.

By Daniel P

Dec 13, 2019

Good intro, I recommended see documentation for each command using in bash: $ man [command_name] for better understanding and to see the arguments you can pass in.

By Sai T V

Jun 14, 2020

The Unix Workbench book has helped me in gaining knowledge on bash(unix shell), shellscripting, git, git hub and cloud computing basics. This course is beautiful.

By Lotachukwu I

Jul 04, 2020

Brilliant course. It's mostly text based so you have a lot of reading to do. But if that is not a problem for you (99% reading, 1% video) I would recommend this.

By Zhizhong D

Oct 01, 2018

Very useful course, I am using lots of remote high performance computers. This class definitely improves my understanding on Unix Shell and working efficiency.

By Muhammad U K K

Sep 19, 2017

Great course for beginners. Proves to be a great reference for people who are working on multiple platforms and tend to forget syntax of different languagess

By Ana M H G

Oct 08, 2017

It's been a great course to refresh my Unix knowledge and to begin using all of the Unix tools all over again. Thank you for this course, it's great! :-D

By Nawaz R A

Aug 17, 2017

Coming from Unix background myself, I would recommend this course to every newbie in Unix field and any IT/Operations/Development professional as well!

By Jason H

Apr 26, 2020

This is a great foundation course for Linux. I knew one or two things before coming in, but getting a refresher on SSH, SCP, Git etc. is very handy.

By Trevorr M

Jan 28, 2018

Very comprehensive and hands-on! Great to get an understanding of the subject matter and gives you enough information and knowledge to build on.

By fabian87

Mar 07, 2019

es un curso hecho bien, en el cual llegas a aprender con grande facilidad.

Gracias a todos los profesores que han hecho este hermoso trabajo

By Јован П

Jun 05, 2018

Not too easy, not too hard. Gets to the point quick, concise. I learned quite a few tricks about UNIX. I recommend this course to everyone!

By Xiaoxuan W

Feb 21, 2018

This course was extremely helpful to my CS studies. I think a course like this should be a required intro class for every college CS major.

By Jenny C

Jan 09, 2018

Great course! More text-based than lecture-based which works great. No large "jumps", but gives a great introduction to UNIX. Thanks!

By Dmitriy K

Sep 17, 2017

This was one of the best courses on Coursera. I really liked it's open-minded structure and nice introduction to unix environment.

By Prasang G

The Course is simple and efficient for the beginners. The concepts are taught in simple yet effective manner. Highly recommended.

By Mehran K

A really helpful course to understand and get started with using the UNIX Systems and it's powerful tools for building up things.

By Hunaid H

Apr 26, 2020

a great course for absolute beginners. i would highly recommend this to first semester undergrad CS students or lower proficiency

By Zhong Q

Mar 11, 2020

Very useful and Thanks to Sean Kross. And really appreciated Mateusz Kita who gives me instructions to make my assignment better!

By Petar C

Mar 01, 2018

Very well structured course. Great, useful examples and really easy to learn stuff. I really enjoyed the course and recommend it!