Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

MV

Dec 01, 2016

As a design manager I should say this course actually opened my eyes to a new world. I hope be able to make good changes in my world by using this knowledge more and more in my life. Thanks to All :)

26 - 50 of 1,019 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Thanit I

Feb 04, 2019

I have just finished the course. It is very informative and useful. Even after my completion, I am still coming back to look at the videos to revise what I have learned.

By Alexandra R

Dec 19, 2018

Excelente aprendizaje!

By Paul M

Sep 23, 2019

I'd like to see a lot more content and sequential assignments rather than just one at the end. Getting peer reviews was difficult and I would also appreciate at least one tutor review to add greater credibility to my score.

By Louis S D

Nov 11, 2017

This is a wonderful course and I applaud Prof Liedtka on her teaching methodology combining structure with creativity. Each of the tools listed are really useful in expressing the design thought process in action and every one of the experts have lent their unique perspectives, which have been really helpful in outlining the idea that Design Thinking tries to convey. My only gripe if any would be the assignment rubric, which shackles the author within a very walled framework and defeats the purpose of thinking out of the box. While it offers a precious guideline for the peer to evaluate, it more or less mandates the author to stick within this and it applies some sort of unwritten pressure on the peer to rate only on those defined yardsticks, which again effectively brings down the scope for the writer of the reflection to bring in fresh approaches into their piece. Design Thinking in spirit has to involve a level of creative thinking within a structured framework, but if the structure takes precedence, then in all probability creativity would take an uncomplimentary second position. Please take this for what it is, but be sure that the course and the material have been totally outstanding, and I commend the Darden team for putting this out on Coursera.

By Nilabh U

Sep 08, 2018

There are many approaches to problem solving and as its a vague and non conventional process often, it leads to directionless hard work and in turn deviates from the expected results. That is where Design Thinking comes in, and this course has helped me learn the structure of problem solving which can be applied universally regardless of what the problems are. I learnt that the approach to innovation is as important than the actual ideas itself and I am amazed at how much I have changed after completing this course. Results are of course rewarding but I am enjoying the process just as much.

I am thankful to Prof. Jeanne Liedtka and others for building this course and I hope I'll keep learning more and more in time to come.

By Pinaki B

Aug 01, 2019

This empowers the though process end to end. This provided the style to approach any new or existing problem to think through by the means of its core pain point. Then the transition towards solution quadrant in correspondence to each pain point before sketching the High Level picture of any Design topic. This makes the design mind map discrete per step, visibility of approach becomes distinct. Visualization approach has been followed to make the traversal of whole path end to end with less chances of disputes at later point of time; and the same provides a wider spectrum to think deeper with more features and facilities to get adopted. Thank you so much for constructing this course so nicely!

By Tanguy D L

May 10, 2019

This course should be mandatory in the unlearning process of 20st century management habits that no longer fit to the current societal challenges . It took me over 1,5 year to 'process' the course; I dived in the videos, listened to them in the car and during holidays back and forth, got lost, rescheduled, gave up, and finally came back in a focused way, what a journey, I am very proud of. The insights have changed my way of viewing the world challenges, have made me discover new patters, and provided my both a peace of mind between left and right brain thinking (you have to trust and be 'in the moment') as well as reconnecting to this random childhood creativity.

By Rashmi L

Jul 12, 2018

Design thinking for Innovation tool is excellent and it has absoultely gained with me the all different aspects of design thinking, Course is very well presented, explained with fanstastic examples.Those who really wish to have a deep knowledge/want to improve thier design thinking skills should opt for this course. The lectures and the materials used adds a valuable input to our knowledge base.Thanks to Jeanne Liedtka,all instructors and co-ordinator for thier efforts to present this topic and for sharing thier experience.

By Troy E

Dec 16, 2019

This was my first-ever course on design thinking. A great introduction. I didn't realise how much design thinking I was sort of doing in my day-to-day job. Taking this course and applying the tools and skills to one my current projects, I was able to critically reflect & evaluate with a new set of tools and vocabulary that gave me more specific & focused feedback I would not have gotten otherwise. This means, I am more informed moving forward on the next project. I'm going to look into more courses like this.

By SYED A M F

Feb 04, 2018

In today's competitive world its all the more important to update our knowledge and skill sets to compete against the Young & dynamic next generation managers likely to take over from us..I strongly believe that this platform would help us to learn many new things, ideas, solutions, skills & knowledge which were not been possible in the past.. Its a fantastic opportunity given to me to by our organisation to re brush our ideas and skill set to be learned to be relevant in the job market.

By gemi h

Sep 18, 2019

This is such an amazing course. I can't get enough of this. Apparently, I have been doing versions of this throughout my career and work. I have championed the essence of this but didn't know how to put into an understandable framework for those who couldn't see it. Yes, I hope to take the full course offered by UVA this coming January 2020 :) Thank you Professor Liedtka. Thank you for the work you do and how you teach us to think and reflect on these different yet simple frameworks.

By Ioana C

Mar 05, 2018

It gives a theoretical base for innovation in companies and organizations. I think managers can take a lot of value from this course expecially in knowing how to present the need of innovation and innovative ideas. It is great for people who think they are not creative as you can learn to be creative. I liked a lot that it was clear and short (4/5 weeks) and it gave a good overview over the design thinking process. I can recommend it for anyone working in marketing or development.

By Joël N

Dec 09, 2015

Thanks a lot Jeanne for making available this course on Design Thinking.

It was a clear materialisation of the process for exploring opportunities for innovation.

i also love the slides with great formalisations of some concepts.

Maybe one more thing, it was very useful to have a short overview of previous week at the beginning of a new module. it is coherent with how we manage our MOOC learning behavior, with sometime a lack of time and long periods away from tje course.

Joel.

By Sonia B

Jan 13, 2020

The subject matter is not only interesting, but also very pertinent to our times. The video lectures were engaging and of just the right length. Stories were used to illustrate concepts, which made them easy to understand. Finally, the assignment was very challenging. I have had to work hard at it, revisiting the lectures and the suggested reading. It was worth my time and effort. I am really happy and proud to have earned this certificate.

By Fran V

Jul 03, 2019

Loved this course. Clear, concise and logical. I am myself a designer and this process feels totally natural to me. I presented the Design Thinking concept to my team lead, who was also really keen to utilise it and follow it for our team's design process. Subsequently, we have got permission from our director to implement in our team, which is tasked with innovation within the company. Wins all round!!

By Amit K

Jan 19, 2019

What i really loved about the course was the real life examples and cases. The Design Thinking tools explained in the course are very practical. Though we apply some of them in real life somewhere or other but the program gave me a very structured approach to apply them. I am sure, if applied properly the tools should be effective and produce desired results. Thank you! it was fun learning.

By Christian S

Sep 04, 2016

A good introduction into the topic of design thinking.

Even thought the participants only will get real understanding of the material when executing them in real life, as with so many topics that are being sought, this course helps you to understand what is special to design thinking. It helped me to distinguish it from e.g. agile/scrum, and be able to work within a design thinking team.

By Jim S

Mar 28, 2016

Excellent course for business leaders to get a flavour of this concept with some real-world case studies. I'm actually making it a compulsory course for my management team.

Clear presentation style pitched at just the right level with bite sized videos that can be watched offline with the App.

Only improvement would be the addition of some quizzes through the course to test understanding.

By Suveen K

Sep 26, 2019

What i loved most about this course

It's short, simple, precise, to the point. This course highlights, repeats and recaps the basics of Innovation and it is done in such a manner that the foundation of innovation gets registered in your mind. I loved everything about it and will recommend people to take this to get their basics right for Design Thinking for Innovation.

By Pierre S

Jan 25, 2017

Cours très intéressant sur la manière de gérer des projets en utilisant le Design Thinking, les explications sont bien faites ainsi que le plan. Les vidéos dédiées aux différents outils avec des intervenants différents et le recours à des exemples concrets apportent beaucoup et facilitent la mise en application des concepts dans les projets personnels/professionnels.

By Ram C

Aug 27, 2019

I Thank the management of coursera to have given me an opportunity to take this course of Design Thinking with financial aid and was able to complete the course before time.

Thanking the team who have assessed my final project submissions and assessment.

This has helped me to revive my career as a future innovator and work with kids in the field of design thinking.

By Daniel E T

Dec 27, 2019

Absolutely phenomenal. This was my first courser course ever taken and I have had within these past couple weeks million dollar ideas flow to my head thanks to my Father and Heaven and the talent and wisdom of these teachers at the Darden School of Business, I approve the value of this course and believe it is one of the best for a beginner. Thanks for everything!

By Mochammad F A

Dec 26, 2019

I am very grateful that find this course. From this course I have different and more rich knowledge about design thinking than other course that I had. I share this design thinking perspective to my colleagues and implement it to my startup company. This course really change my life and bring real positive impact for my life, my business and my innovation journey.

By Geoff S

Dec 29, 2019

A very nice, clear explanation of the principles of Design Thinking. Very useful for business leaders, as well as practitioners (the "makers"). Includes lots of great case studies and methods you can use to "think differently" about solving problems...and, as a result, creating solutions and services that meet (and exceed) your clients and customers needs.

By Susan D

Oct 24, 2019

Excellent course with concepts that can be applied immediately. I thought this course was very well done. The format is excellent with relevant content and intereEach learning segment is broken into small units so learners can watch videos as time permits. I liked the transcript of the video below, which allowed me to go back and review key concepts.