Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM

Sep 23, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

MV

Dec 01, 2016

As a design manager I should say this course actually opened my eyes to a new world. I hope be able to make good changes in my world by using this knowledge more and more in my life. Thanks to All :)

76 - 100 of 1,056 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Thuraya

May 28, 2016

One of the best courses I have ever attended. I am really impressed with the presentation of the content and the creativity of delivering the ideas. I have purchased the book "GROWTH" from Amazon, to add on what I've already learned in a deeper manner.

Thuraya Al Souli

By Alexandra S

Sep 13, 2017

Most inspiring! I was so excited about many of the topics and tools and examples, that right now, day and night, my mind comes up with quotes from the course and ideas where to apply and test what I learned there, determined to use every opportunity I have to use this framework.

By Zac W

Aug 10, 2016

Very good introduction to design thinking. Provides some useful tools that I have already used in my personal and professional projects and will continue to use in the future. Every video lesson was well done and tied the overall theme into the content well. Highly recommended!

By Leonor E d P

Jan 19, 2020

Great course on Design Thinking. Easy to listen and to go through. The professor is very didactical and the material is very well designed and presented. I would recommend this course if you'll like to broaden your knowledge in this area. It is a must-have tool for management.

By Laura M

Feb 17, 2018

Such a fantastic course. The videos were compelling and I learned so much without the stress of homework. Perfect for full time working professionals who want to learn about design thinking, but do not have hours to invest in assignments. The professor was really excellent.

By Iman S

Sep 15, 2017

Thank you Jeanne M. Liedtka Ma'am.

Thank you Coursera.

It was a good experience for me as an young novice entrepreneur. I have gained immense knowledge about the dos' and do not s', about approaching a market with a product, targeted customers, etc. Thank you all once again.

By Philein G Z

Mar 06, 2018

This course surprised me. I had reservations before as I had prior mindset that it is for the "creatives". But this course made me realize a lot about how we can shape our minds and hone our skills to better connect with the world! Thank you Coursera and Jeanne M. Liedtka!

By Jean-Baptiste V

Feb 06, 2018

Very good initiation course offering examples and tools supporting a slightly different approach of Design Thinking than the usual 5-to-7-step one (Empathy, Define, Ideate, Prototype...). I would recommand this course as a first dive into this broad and bold methodology.

By Ricardo V

Jun 13, 2019

Design thinking really drives you to the process of asking better questions, to challenge status quo and have a different perspectives of common problems and how to solve them. have a huge respect and admiration for Professor Jeanne Liedtka and Ed Hesse. Thank you.

By Kerolles F H

Sep 29, 2019

This course made me know the secret of the success of the greatest companies, this secret is the design thinking and a lot of tools used together with visualization and storytelling and mental maps .. I am grateful to Coursera and for this course and instructors

By Rupal P

Nov 11, 2018

Its an excellent course for beginner. Also being in community makes it interacting. I would recommend every financial professional to also develop critical thinking through design thinking process. The course is well explained with some very good case studies.

By David H

Jan 04, 2017

The lecture videos move very fast at times but the information is concise and useful. The professor uses lots of examples to illustrate each of the topics covered and helps facilitate the students in adapting the concepts into their own lives and experiences.

By Christopher A

Sep 07, 2016

This as been one of the most rewarding MOOCs I have taken, and I can't recommend it enough . ‎Professor Jeanne Liedtka totally demystified the design thinking process, and tools, and made it very accessible. Thank you Coursera, thank you ‎Professor Liedtka.

By VIJAY A S

Feb 17, 2018

It was an excellent course and opened up lot of ideas on Design Thinking. The real time case studies and the way people solved their problems through design thinking is an excellent motivation to take up design thinking seriously

Dr. V. Vijay Anand Sriram

By Ajay M

Oct 21, 2019

It is an excellent course for everyone to bring in innovation and creativity into their work by following certain basic principles and approach. The course is well designed and the assignment really makes you use the learnings holistically. Thank you !!

By Alicia B

Apr 23, 2019

This is a super relevant course across all industries and I really loved the different use cases used as examples. I thought the content and delivery was top notch and really appreciated the feedback shared by my virtual class. Thanks Professor Liedtka!

By Juan C B

Jul 12, 2017

Although I would have loved to see more about each part of the Design Thinking process, this course gave me a very useful insight to further study Design Thinking. Moreover, it helped me start off the purpose of a business endeavor with friends of mine.

By Soundarya S

Mar 20, 2019

This Course is the best ! I would strongly recommend this course for developing their skills in this 21st century . I thank Prof.Jeanne Liedtka and university of Virginia Darden school of business for creating such a useful course . Thank you so much .

By Aysin K

Sep 19, 2016

Although I did the free version, I have to say that it is a super easy, well laid out introduction to design thinking... Makes you buy lots of books and go in to researching the tools though :-)

Thanks! I will definitely come back for certification...

By Kevin H

Apr 12, 2017

I have been looking for a Design Thinking course for quite a while and I have taken some other courses already. This course if what I was looking for, as it provides high quality content with created by experts in the field that is usable right away!

By Matthias G

Nov 24, 2016

The course content and material was very well put together and enabled a well paced learning within the provided duration. However I'd suggest that the assignment gets some more information early on as if it is left too late the time may be limited.

By Marco B

Jan 23, 2020

I found this course very useful since it demystified the word design as something only for specialists. I've learned that this innovation approach is for everybody, it is consistent and it is effective in business. Thanks a lot Professor Liedtka.

By Alejandra O

Jul 19, 2016

Me gusto mucho el curso ya que ademas de la parte teórica, se enriquece el contenido con casos de éxito, testimoniales de expertos y otros recursos que le dan dinámica al curso. Los facilitadores hacen una buena labor cumpliendo las expectativas.

By Su S M

Oct 25, 2016

I learn so much and how the video lectures are presented really break it down very easy to understand. I find the information very useful to my own entrepreneurship and design thinking processes. I feel ready to try out some of these steps soon.

By Carlton Y

May 25, 2017

The content kept my attention! It's important to take good notes and revisit some of the course material for your own self-growth and knowledge. I completed early and was very fulfilled with the subject mater. I would definitely recommend this!