Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

RB
Sep 14, 2020

Very well explained with lots of practical examples - would highly recommend this course to anyone looking at getting an initial understanding of design thinking and how it can be applied practically.

LM
Sep 22, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

201 - 225 of 2,084 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Anah V

Jul 22, 2017

This is a great course! I'm two weeks down and am already able to apply what I've learnt. The course breaks down complicated topics to easily process able bits and pieces. Jeanne is a great teacher and has good clarity in explaining things.

By Luis D R

Dec 10, 2017

Through simple insights, real life examples and great visualization tools, this course offers in a few weeks enough material to change your perspective about alternative ways to tackle big and small scale problems. I'd recommend to anyone.

By Sara S

Jun 4, 2020

According to me the course which i have selected was really very interesting, i got to learn many things from the case studies

I would like to thanks the whole team of coursera to teach me this concept and spend your valuable time with me.

By Karen W

Apr 7, 2020

Very thought provoking and stimulating presentations. All lectures felt more like conversations rather than lectures. This made learning more enjoyable. Overall course added greatly to new experiences in design work in my new position.

By Martin M

Feb 12, 2019

Design Thinking for Innovation is one challenging course but when you get to understand it it is one course that gets you thinking on your own accord. I myself had been stuck in analysis paralysis until Coursera gave me this opportunity.

By Bryan A L J

Sep 20, 2019

el curso es super interesante, son vídeos cortos y se te pasa super rápido el tiempo mirándolos ademas que la estructura de coursera te hace sentir como que vas subiendo de nivel completando objetivos y te animas a seguirle, me gusta :)

By Dovie M C

May 9, 2018

This is a great course and I learned a lot from it. However lectures are already outdated. My suggestion for the University of Virginia is to update their lectures for I saw in one of the clips that the lectures are dated way back 2010.

By Mateo S

May 1, 2020

Excellent course giving a thorough overview of design thinking and how it applies to complex problems. Engaging and well paced modules that go over the different stages of design thinking and some of the key tools to make it practical.

By Anirban P

Jun 11, 2020

This was a beautifully structured journey through the exciting path of Design Thinking. My heartfelt gratitude goes for Jeanne & the team to teach us this emerging topic in such a lucid, focused, and practical way. Highly recommended.

By Vineeth K

Feb 25, 2019

Learnt a lot about Design Thinking! The practical assignment in the 5th week helped me reinforce the material I learnt in the course. Thank you University of Virginia and Coursera for giving me an opportunity to learn Design Thinking!

By Alexander

Jul 22, 2020

An excellent short course from best selling author and professor at Darden School of Business. Clear and compelling content delivered in a very efficient manner.

Recommend to those who want a quality introduction into design thinking.

By Antti K

Aug 2, 2020

I particularly liked the peer reviewed assignment at the end. Not all peer submissions from other users were made seriously, but for me it was a good opportunity to think about what I have learned and how it is applied in practice.

By Васильев В В

Jul 4, 2020

Great course, really changing mindset and providing clear and well-structured approach to new way of thinking! Professor Liedtka and her colleagues are really impressive with their knowledge, enthusiasm and charisma! Thanks a lot!

By Felipe M

Aug 27, 2019

Great course. It really helped me understand the importance of design thinking and how it can be applied to avoid rework and achieve great results with team collaboration. Thanks a lot Coursera and University of Virginia for this.

By Srinath G

Sep 17, 2016

A very well laid out structured learning program. Course pace & content is great & triggers enough thinking during the course assignment. I recommend the course to all those who want to bring in structure to thinking & innovation

By Marcela V B

Dec 18, 2020

Realmente me ha gustado mucho el curso. En general, el material y las explicaciones fueron muy claros y adecuados para la duracion, y los ejemplos fueron muy claros. Curso interesante y didactico! Agradecida por la experiencia!

By Ariestelo A

May 6, 2020

Interesting topics as it let me learn actual experiences from cases of IBM, and Good Kitchen as well as the visual diagram of George and Geoff. The course itself stood to its true purpose of design thinking. Highly recommended!

By AVNISH P G

Sep 21, 2017

I think it was a very informative course with a lots of real time examples to take inspirations from.

I strongly recommend this course to all organizations, so that they can come up with innovative solutions for their customers.

By Naven G

Oct 8, 2016

Excellent pragmatic take on Design Thinking - a fairly complex subject that was made as easy to understand. Really enjoyed Prof Liedtka - am ready for a more advanced course on this very interesting subject - thank you so much

By Edilio U A

Jun 17, 2020

Design thinking for innovation is an excellent course to develop any type of project or business. This course has ideal resources to develop ideas thinking about the people you intend to serve. I highly recommend this course.

By Jean C M

Jan 27, 2020

Apesar de ser introdutório, o curso é rico em detalhes, em cases de exemplo. Um ponto importante sobre o Design Thinking é que ele não é oposto à abordagem de negócios tradicional, muito pelo contrário, ambos se complementam.

By Aditya P

Jul 20, 2020

Very good quick crash-course, giving the duration. Helps you set and organize your mind around problems at work and problems in general. Slight critique: Assignments are complicated to understand what exactly has to be done.

By Erfan J N

May 16, 2020

I feel honored and privileged to be part of this valuable course, and I wish to thank professor Liedka and her colleagues in the Darden school of business to provide remarkable resources for this class about design thinking.

By Rogerio A

Mar 6, 2020

I'm loving this course. It works and explains the ideas in a very clear way. The tools are very usefull and I'm just thinking about learning more and more with this team and with coursera plataform. Thanks a lot and move on!

By Jorge A R

Jul 25, 2017

Great introductory course on design thinking. I found it very useful to have an overall idea of how to use design thinking for innovation. Furthermore, it provides guidelines on how to apply design thinking on your own work.