Back to Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course, you will examine how storytelling acts as a vital mechanism for driving video gameplay forward. Looking at several historical and contemporary games, you will be asked to evaluate and interpret different story styles with the goal of identifying themes and procedures for your own game ideas. We'll examine traditional narrative story processes, such as three-act structure, and how they fit into game story flows and the strategic elements of gameplay. Ultimately, you will learn how to define character, setting, and structure to create a compelling game concept....

DA

Nov 07, 2017

This is so helpful. It covers all the essentials of developing a good story, applicable in any form of media, then it focuses on converting the story to a game by adding interactive gameplay elements.

RB

Feb 24, 2016

I am glad that I have chosen to sign up to this course. It has open up my vision to a whole new world. Thanks so very much. The professor is engaging and the course content is fascinating.

76 - 100 of 203 Reviews for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

By Shelagh R

Mar 01, 2020

A very interesting and detailed course; the videos were very helpful, and it was challenging.

By Jaime A

Aug 07, 2016

It is so engaging! I love the assignments and the way knowledge is transmitted. Thank you. :)

By Dhiksha A

Apr 27, 2020

A very interesting course. It gave me a new perspective on how narratives affect gameplay.

By Alberto V V

May 02, 2016

Great teacher and interesting topics. A great starter on how to develop stories for games.

By Luiz F R

Nov 24, 2015

I think I have grown a lot from this course. I congratulate the entire team and Teachers.

By José F C P

Jul 14, 2016

Buen curso, es una lastima que no tenga soporte a otros idiomas. Por ejemplo el español.

By Borja R N

Aug 28, 2019

The teacher has an extensive knowledge of the topic and makes the lectures entertaining

By José D

Jan 26, 2016

Very exciting course, it encourages creativity and helps bring structure to game ideas.

By Mohan J

Nov 13, 2016

It's great, I want more example and analysis in today's different kinds of games,plz.

By Kenneth I

May 16, 2020

Much more than gaming...it also teaches construction of creating fiction in general.

By Jaime R

Dec 22, 2015

Extremely helpful to get an introductory idea on how to use narrative in video games

By Joon T K

Sep 09, 2020

One of the best courses I've followed, it's really useful for your game development

By Arturs R

Aug 03, 2020

A very useful course led by experienced lector. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you!

By Daniel A A G

Sep 14, 2018

It really helped me understand the basics of what I was trying to do. Great course

By Yee I

Sep 27, 2016

Fun stretching writing skills, would be good if more game-like nuances were added.

By Amshumaan R

May 25, 2016

Loved the lecturer, he gave me so many good ideas. Learned a lot from this course.

By V.B.Srevarshan

Nov 07, 2018

This course will set you off on your journey to become a video game story writer.

By Nuno F A C

Jul 17, 2017

Very good course. All videos are good and examples are excelent written. 5 stars

By Sergey P

Nov 13, 2015

Great course. Help to improve your skills of creating goo story for the game.

By Luca L

Jun 05, 2017

Great course! Though I do recommend watching the videos at 1.25x speed... :)

By Madison T

Feb 06, 2017

Good experience to know about narrative for video games, very inspiring.

By Manar M N H

Jul 19, 2020

One of the best courses ever made , very unique professional and direct

By Moisés P

Sep 28, 2016

Great course. It has helped me a lot to develop the story of my game.

By Devon G

May 01, 2020

A well thought out approach to brainstorming and building narrative.

By Felipe R

Oct 05, 2019

Great course, I really learn the base to create a story for a game.