Back to Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan by The University of Tokyo

In their ambition to capture “real life,” Japanese painters, poets, novelists and photographers of the nineteenth century collaborated in ways seldom explored by their European contemporaries. This course offers learners the chance to encounter and appreciate behavior, moral standards and some of the material conditions surrounding Japanese artists in the nineteenth century, in order to renew our assumptions about what artistic “realism” is and what it meant. Learners will walk away with a clear understanding of how society and the individual were conceived of and represented in early modern Japan. Unlike contemporary western art forms, which acknowledge their common debt as “sister arts” but remain divided by genre and discourse, Japanese visual and literary culture tended to combine, producing literary texts inspired by visual images, and visual images which would then be inscribed with poems and prose. Noticing and being able to interpret this indivisibility of visual/literary cultures is essential in understanding the social and psychological values embedded within the beauty of Japanese art....

SC

Sep 06, 2019

It has expanded my views not only on Japan Visual and Literary Culture but also has open for me a new way of looking at portraits in different cultures and times. Thank you so much

AB

Jul 26, 2020

A very inspiring and informative course. Really broadened my ways of viewing not only Japanese art and literature, but also any other form of art from any part of the world.

26 - 50 of 124 Reviews for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

By Ksenia D

Oct 10, 2019

As a student of Japanese studies, I am really happy to learn something more about unique facts of Japanese art history. This course also made me familiar with interesting personalities in Japan between Tokugawa and Meiji period. Thank you so much for such an amazing time spending! I advice everyone to enjoy this course.

By akiko k

Oct 12, 2017

For the first time since I graduated from high school, I received a lecture on literature. It was very interesting.In a different way from high school literature classes, the lecture given a wealth of materials was exciting for me.

I would like to receive again if the second Campbell lecture is held.

By Antonios Z

Nov 16, 2017

An excellent course, you can learn a lot about Japanese history and culture from a unique perspective. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Japan, its art history and culture, and its connection with the Western world. Satisfactory for both beginners and people with experience on the subject.

By Jessica R

Apr 03, 2018

I loved this course - Robert Campbell is expert at conveying not only the knowledge of the material but also his passion for it. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in Japanese culture and art. It has certainly enriched my own understanding and appreciation.

By Caterina Y P

Jun 23, 2020

I learned a lot about the relationship between words and images in "long" nineteenth-century art and literary culture. The course inspired me to learn more about such images at my local museums and to read some of the novels mentioned in the course that are available in English.

By Elena G

Jun 09, 2020

This course is a gem ! I The lecturer is charismatic in the sense of providing a lot of knowledge and information about Japanesese art and litterature , in a way which is easy to 'digest'' ! I am so looking forward for a second - advanced course on this topic , if possible.

By peter c

Aug 15, 2020

I really enjoyed this Course and learnt a lot from it, there isn't much in the way of Japanese related courses and this does well to impart knowlage to the viewer of aspects of Japanese culture that I would say are not made clear from a basic understanding of the culture.

By radovan m

Mar 05, 2019

This course, presented by a very charismatic lecturer, opened a whole new literary world for me and provided me with a lot of inspiration for my photographic work. I went through all four modules in two weeks and ended up with more curiosity about the subject :)

By Hildebrando C G

Jun 30, 2020

Un excelente curso que abre el panorama hacia un nuevo enfoque de cómo observar el arte japonés de manera ambivalente: no solo la literatura, sino las artes gráficas y las fotografías de principios del siglo XX. Ojalá hubieran más cátedras dictadas por el Dr.!

By Yumi S

Oct 21, 2017

I'm a lot of fun of Sir Robert Campbell. At the beginning of the course, it was tough for me to understand the each content. But the each quiz was interesting. I had a really good time with listening to his lecture and reading the transcription. Thank you.

By theodore k

Dec 03, 2017

This course was excellent. Robert Campbell was remarkable-a terrific lecturer and generous in sharing so much of his private collection of images. I am grateful to Coursera and to Prof. Campbell for the opportunity to have taken his outstanding course.

By Ricardo L

Aug 24, 2020

Amazing overview and analysis of a beautiful creative period in Japan, which also constitutes an insight into a very moral and socially coded society, told with erudition and passion for the subject by professor Campbell in a very calm and clear tone.

By Shantilly R

Oct 13, 2017

This course was extremely valuable to me as someone who is extremely interested in both the art and history of Japan. It was compact (4 weeks) but filled with poignant information and a great basis upon which you can continue to learn more from.

By Nancy

Nov 01, 2019

Really excellent course. Helped me further my understanding of the Japanese culture and how it reflects, as does any culture, the historical context of the country within it's borders as well as to the rest of the world. Thank you Dr. Campbell.

By Ebba J

Dec 05, 2017

The course was an interesting introduction to the combining of images with writing - that's why I took it. For reading and learning the content better, "cleaned up" transcripts and paragraphs would be of great help. Thanks for the course!

By Leon B C

Jun 13, 2020

This course gives me a new knowledge especially in art culture in Japanese, this course is great for someone who interested in Japanese culture in Nineteenth century and the interpretation behind the art that presented in the course.

By Denni D

Oct 04, 2017

This course has surpassed my expectations in every way. Robert Campbell is an engaging, thoughtful and deeply knowledgable lecturer who obviously takes pleasure from sharing his knowledge. I have learnt so much! Thank you.

By pika c

Sep 13, 2020

Great course. Why such a bad looking certificate? I can't use for anything. It's not the professor's real name. It reads "John Doe" and the signature says "signature". It looks like a joie. I can't use it for anything.

By luciana a a

Aug 31, 2020

A lovely course to know a bit more about image and literature. I loved every single video for they're all very well organized and brought very interesting information about this period. Besides our instructor is great.

By Monica F B F

Mar 30, 2018

Me encanto el curso, ya que no solo aprendí de arte e historia de Japón, sino que las lecciones me llevaron paso a paso a comprender mejor las formas de expresión como la pintura, literatura y fotografía y su objetivo.

By Andrew S

Nov 10, 2017

Excellent course! Well-presented, interesting and unusual subject matter, pitched well for beginners and people with some knowledge. I would be interested in studying other courses by the same institution or presenter.

By Azajul I N

May 13, 2020

I have come to know a lot of unknown facts about the cultures of Japan from this course. My curiosity about Japan has been mitigated by this program. Thanks to the University of Tokyo for this nice course. Well done.

By Maria L M

Sep 20, 2020

Professor Robert Campbell is amazing and will take you through a beautiful journey where you will learn about Japanese visual and literary traditions before, during, and after the Edo period. 100% recommended.

By Valentina B

Apr 02, 2020

I have studied Japanese culture and art in the past, but this particular topic was incredibly interesting and new to me. The lecturer was very clear and precise, which I found helpful.