Back to US Social Services Compared

Learner Reviews & Feedback for US Social Services Compared by Columbia University

In all nations, social policy is a very large public investment. Course 1 will explore the size, structure, and outcomes of U.S. social policy and compare this policy to those of similar developed countries. The course will also probe the values this policy represents and the values debate regarding about how big our welfare state should be— in other words, how much of our education, housing, health, income support, and social services the government should supply and how much individuals should supply for themselves. This course addresses issues of power, oppression, and white supremacy. The course is part of a sequence in social policy that has an HONORS TRACK. This track will prepare the learner for masters-level work in policy, which involves reading the literature, writing concise summaries and probing critiques. Over the sequence the learner will develop a policy analysis that will create a foundation for professional policy analyst assignments....

TA
Sep 26, 2019

"US Social Services Compared" - I am hoping this course will help me out with a clear concept of US Social Services Compared. Thanks COURSERA for the such online access.

D
Jun 21, 2020

Excellent information and well presented. Love the honors section that provides an opportunity for further learning and feedback from peers.

1 - 21 of 21 Reviews for US Social Services Compared

By Sean L

Jan 21, 2019

The quality of the content is good for an introductory course. The high amount of typos in the slides is distracting when you're trying to take notes.

By Joy S

Jan 17, 2019

good info, instructor really quiet. had to use earphones

By Sarah G

Apr 11, 2020

The content is overall useful and is a good introduction to understanding the US welfare state. However, some of the quiz questions are unclear and occasionally do not reflect the content discussed in the course. Discussions are not very critical, I would have liked to have a greater centering of marginalised communities. The honours option seems a little excessively time-consuming.

By Evaluation R

Dec 11, 2019

Dr. Robertson developed a great course. I was a little put off by Garfinkel. A few slides need to be edited a little bit because the errors are distracting and may be confusing for ELL e.g. venerable instead of vulnerable ... I learned quite a lot even though I have over a decade of experience working in Health & Human Services. THANK YOU!!!

By Leah B

Mar 22, 2019

very interesting and useful for my wider studies supporting my application to universities

By Hector O

Jun 6, 2020

Excellent Course! Better than the one I took on-campus for my MSW at another institution.

By Maite S P

Jul 22, 2020

The course was very informative, it definitely broaden my knowledge of Social Services in the US and other Countries. I would recommend my co-workers to take this course.

By Leslie W

Jul 20, 2020

This course taught me so much about the United States social welfare state and how it compares to other Welfare States. I was excited to review each new course as I learned a wealth of information that will assist me in my upcoming policy classes at Columbia this fall. A truly valuable source of information that was delivered in a highly comprehensible fashion. Thank you for creating this course!

By Tofail A

Sep 27, 2019

By Diana M

By Mushtaq M G

Oct 26, 2020

It is very true encouraging step to enhance educational skills and knowledge by doing this course.

By Syam S A

Jan 9, 2020

Very informative. I am very new to Social Policy, so the grounding was very useful.

By Ruben C

Jun 29, 2019

Exceptional topics and Positive take-aways for our nations Welfare State

By Paulo R V P

Jun 15, 2019

Excellent course about the US welfare state in comparison with others.

By Diane H

Dec 12, 2019

Challenging class but also very informative!

By Robert B S M

By Suhmer F

Oct 5, 2019

Excellent

By Mona A A

GOOD

By Caroline R

Nov 8, 2020

This course presented a good overview of the basics of the U.S. welfare state, but in many cases, arguments were not presented in a way for students to critically engage with the coursework. I wish that there was greater opportunity for critical engagement, because I found some of the beliefs presented to be biased yet present