Back to Improving Communication Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving Communication Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to communicate more effectively at work and achieve your goals. Taught by award-winning Wharton professor and best-selling author Maurice Schweitzer, Improving Communications Skills is an essential course designed to give you both the tools you need to improve your communication skills, and the most successful strategies for using them to your advantage. You'll learn how to discover if someone is lying (and how to react if they are), how to develop trust, the best method of communication for negotiation, and how to apologize. You'll also learn when to cooperate and when to compete, how to create persuasive messages, ask thoughtful questions, engage in active listening, and choose the right medium (face-to-face conversation, video conference, phone call, or email) for your messages. By the end of the course, you'll be able to understand what others want, respond strategically to their wants and needs, craft convincing and clear messages, and develop the critical communication skills you need to get ahead in business and in life....

MG

Mar 12, 2020

This course surpassed my expectation. I can not only apply what I have learned in my professional life but also can help me to improve some personal aspects, like communication with my family members.

SP

Sep 10, 2020

An absolutely wonderful course on communication skills. Its a course every professional should take as it teaches the very basics of communication that we all should incorporate and practice everyday.

326 - 350 of 357 Reviews for Improving Communication Skills

By Chaiwat W

Apr 25, 2020

This course is powerful if you can use it right.

By BacHa B

Apr 20, 2020

I enjoy taking this course. It's very practical.

By Anshuman S

Jun 12, 2018

Well designed and articulated course!Excellent!

By Saqib R

Sep 17, 2017

very informative and help to enhance abilities

By Joseph K

Jan 29, 2019

Some of the quizzes were too difficult.

By Deborah O

Apr 21, 2020

Very impressive and interesting course

By Ayotunde R

Sep 14, 2017

An informative and enjoyable course.

By ABIOLA A

By abadeer n y h

Sep 21, 2018

By Julie S

Aug 11, 2020

The information presented was interesting, informative, and the instructor presented salient examples that demonstrated the topic of discussion thoroughly. However, the scope was too large and was at the expense of thoroughness. At times, the information was presented as a list of bullet points to remember but not fully absorb/understand/apply. It would be beneficial to cut some of the content and make subsections more thorough e..g, nonverbal communication. With so much information, it was difficult to identify a takeaway/theme to apply to my everyday life.

By Karen M

Jul 24, 2020

I apologise, but I found this course difficult. I am at retirement age and my whole working life I've been praised for my communication skills. I received the highest pass possible for my English exam and was praised all throughout 4 years at University, but I still found this difficult. It didn't hang together for me; it didn't build on the previous section, its focus on deception and threats was disturbing . I never felt like giving up, so it held some interest for me to be fair. But just not my cup of tea.

By Laura L

Apr 24, 2020

The information was really interesting, but a little disjointed. It felt like these were bits and pieces pulled out of a bargaining and negotiations class. It wasn't a very interactive class (no exercises or papers), so honestly, I may have learned more in the same amount of time if I read the right chapters out of a bargaining and negotiations text book. It was a fine course with some interesting content, it just didn't come together as effectively as it might have.

By Brianna W

May 20, 2019

I wish the points were clearer. I would have benefited more from exercises on thinking critically. I don't learn from getting bad grades on quizzes.

By Andrzej S

Jun 14, 2018

I was expecting something more for people who are working in communication area (like for examle spokesman, corporate communication or similar)

By LATHRO

Feb 28, 2019

Great content espacially week 2 and 4. Many examples.

But deeply details about the some topic of the course will make it better

By J P G

It gives good advice but it does not tell you how to communicate in the way to speak your mind.

By Abdul B B

May 05, 2020

The course should be easy and simple, by the way, the course is good, thank you.