Back to Entrepreneurship 1: Developing the Opportunity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Entrepreneurship 1: Developing the Opportunity by University of Pennsylvania

How does a good idea become a viable business opportunity? What is entrepreneurship and who fits the profile of an entrepreneur? This introductory course is designed to introduce you to the foundational concepts of entrepreneurship, including the definition of entrepreneurship, the profile of the entrepreneur, the difference between entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial management, and the role of venture creation in society. You’ll explore where technology entrepreneurship and impact entrepreneurship align and where they diverge, and you’ll learn proven techniques for identifying the opportunity, assessing the opportunity, hypothesis testing and creating a prototype. By the end of this course, you’ll know how to test, validate and prototype your idea, and also whether or not you fit the profile of an entrepreneur! You’ll also be ready to move on to the next phase of entrepreneurship in Entrepreneurship 2: Launching the Start-Up....

OO
Feb 28, 2021

Coursera is the best,,, I’ve always thought going to school was all you need to acquire the knowledge you want... But now I no you can be home and acquire your knowledge through the help of coursera..

GG
Dec 3, 2018

Even as I had started with a fragmented idea about entrepreneurship, this course kind of helped to articulate and build a structure of thought process around it. Looking forward for the courses ahead.

601 - 625 of 754 Reviews for Entrepreneurship 1: Developing the Opportunity

Aug 1, 2017

Great

By London K

Sep 3, 2020

good

By Mohammed S A S

Jun 25, 2020

good

By Todd B

Dec 1, 2019

love

Jun 18, 2019

good

By Juan J P C

Nov 13, 2018

good

By husam s a

Nov 17, 2017

nice

By Liu X

Apr 6, 2017

Good

By Yong P

Oct 18, 2019

Sep 13, 2017

E

By April

Feb 23, 2016

Overall, this was an excellent course and, for the beginner, a great foray into general entrepreneurship concepts and ideas. Here's why I say that:

1) The professors offering the course are apparently top-notch - they all have extensive and varied experiences with entrepreneurship, and many of them have published research and reports that can be found with a quick google search.

2) The amount and nature of the content make it so that it's easy to approach the course more like a workshop, than some static didactic. For example, one of Ethan Mollick's talks comes with a spreadsheet to help students think a little more concretely and specifically about their ventures.

3) The course passed no judgement on push vs. pull ventures; they really tried to highlight the advantages and disadvantages of each. With the business community's surge in interest in design-thinking, I had been under the false impression that a push venture, by definition, was inferior.

I gave 4 instead of 5 stars, however, because I feel that more attention could have been devoted to more service-oriented or product and service hybrid businesses (though the professors didn't totally ignore the service-oriented business). Also, I was under the impression that the professors would have some degree of real-time interaction with students (although I get that they are super busy), or that even if the professors themselves couldn't respond, that a teacher's assistant or representative would comment on questions raised about the course content.

Again, this is overall a fantastic course, though not perfect - I would still highly recommend it to anyone thinking about entrepreneurship!

By Andre A M

Oct 10, 2017

This course has really good information and questions one should ask themselves when starting an entrepreneurial opportunity. It gives a lot of information and useful interviews of entrepreneurs that they refer to in the course. I felt there is a lack of application of the material present. I was hoping collaborative opportunity assignments of idea creation but maybe that is not plausible with an online format. It is not clear to me at this point if all the applications in the specialization are held off until the capstone. This course consisted of only simple quiz questions where you can directly find the answers in the power points...meaning it is not challenging or thought provocative either. Overall I would still recommend because the content and high quality of the material.

By Niña T

Dec 14, 2020

I currently work in a venture builder, where building tech startups out of a problem, a need, or a pain point (or in this case, needs arising from the pandemic) is core to our mission and a large part of my day-to-day job. This course has proven valuable in helping me make sense of the entrepreneurial experience, in integrating theory and real-world practice, and in showing me the gaps that I still need to work on. At 40, I thought I would be too late to take a course like this, but it turns out to be perfect timing. I'm grateful for this opportunity, and I look forward to learning more!