Back to What is news?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is news? by Michigan State University

This course will guide you through the basic elements of professional journalism and the news values and ethics of covering real-world issues and events. The overview and examples of the types of news coverage helps introduce the different types of journalism, such as social media, multimedia, print, visual and broadcast, and how professional journalists effectively use each format....

AG
Apr 26, 2020

Very good because it is taught about all the basics of journalists. Various case studies also train me to be able to think more with the mindset of a journalist. I highly recommend this class.

DS
Jun 7, 2020

I really enjoyed learning all of the different parts dealing with Journalism. I thought that the videos and the light reading made for a great learning experience. Thanks, Denise Shannon.

26 - 50 of 243 Reviews for What is news?

By Isaac S

Jun 8, 2020

This teaches the basics of news and some simple things like how to interview and gather information. This information is very helpful and super informative. This helped me out so much!

By Steven H L

Oct 4, 2020

This is a very thorough introduction to what news is. It’s part of a larger certification on journalism but could be easily done on its own if you wanted a sound overview of what news is. It covers the types of news and provides an introduction into generating and refining ideas for news articles. Finally, it strongly emphasizes the principles of journalism which includes a very good assignment on considering ethics in journalism. When you look at that, think like a journalist by asking questions about each ethical scenario, as the possibility on how to approach each one is layered.

By Nathália B

Sep 16, 2020

It was an excellent module, essential for anyone who wants to start or improve their writing nowadays. Important to understand how to develop a story / news, respecting the good practices of journalism, in addition to the structure that a story / news should have, especially to hold the reader's attention / involvement. Thank you for the course and congratulations to those involved in the development and availability of the content.

By Chloe D

Dec 17, 2018

I like that this course starts from the very basics. It can be difficult to jump into a subject with which you are not at all familiar. The resources mentioned in this course were also very helpful. The only thing I would suggest is that the spoken content does not always match the content that appears on the screen during the video lectures.

By Liezl H

May 11, 2019

As someone who has university journalism training, I can confidently say that this course is very valuable to anyone who wants to learn about the journalism world. It teaches a whole range of topics and includes all relevant and necessary journalism practice for beginners. Thank you!

By Crystal Q C

Jun 20, 2016

Excellent course! Especially for people like me who are not majoring in journalism but always long to pursue journalism study in graduate school ! Journalism is so charming and thank all the teachers and Coursera works for presenting such a wonderful course for me. Thanks!

By Meltem T

Sep 16, 2020

This course have given me a new point of view about journalism. I am a novice learner of this field and now I feel I have comprehensive knowledge about the ethics and values of journalism. I enjoyed every lesson and exercise. Thank you for preparing this elaborate course!

By Cynthia K

Apr 16, 2017

Great specialisation. It has been designed mainly for people who desire to become a professional journalism. This specialisation degree offers valuable journalistic techniques to write concise articles, not only that, but how to gather information in an ethical way.

By SHRUTIKA P R

Jul 15, 2020

It was an amazing experience. I learned so many things about journalism in this course and mostly about credibility. Credibility is the foundation of good journalism. Thanks to all the faculty members to make learning fun and easy.

By Alexander E V V

May 22, 2020

An amazing course for anybody that wants to become a journalist. This first course in the specialization is a great beginning for understanding and comprehending the values, ethics, goals, and all the different areas in journalism.

By Chloe L

Nov 22, 2019

Thank you so much for creating this specialization! It's awesome to have access to affordable education online. After taking these courses I'm feeling way more confident and excited about pursuing a journalism career.

By Jubayrul I

Nov 12, 2020

I really had this opportunity to learn a lot of things of journalism field. I am a student of this dept. I can say that this course helped me a lot to understand the basic things from the scratch. Thanks coursera.

By Kaj F M

Nov 17, 2020

i am so happy that i got to learn everything that is in this course, i have never imagined journalism that way, i am very grateful this will forever be helpful in a professional level in future and in the now...

By Daniel Z

Jan 2, 2017

Great course! I will most likely continue to take this series of courses! The professors/teachers are great, and can help when needed. The courses are simple and easy to use. Overall, great course!

By Denise S

Jun 8, 2020

By REBECCA K T G

Aug 21, 2020

This is a great jumping off point. The modules are manageable for tight time availability, the assignments are approachable and the staff are very engaging. Would definitely recommend.

By shalini.m

Oct 24, 2020

I love Journalism and I am very interested in this course very useful course for my future this is very informative for young journalist once I thankful for teaching for this course

By Mr. M A

Aug 20, 2020

Very rich in content and directional! The idea of what is news is no longer a brain cracking one, but well understood to the point of liking and practicing news writing. Good one!

By Kristel V

May 7, 2018

It has been really useful and informative to learn from knowledgeable teachers, and very enriching to have classmates from such diverse places.

Thank you!

Kristel Villalobos

By Ipek Y

Sep 25, 2020

It is very useful course, opens your horizons and broadens your vision, especially informs you about news ethics, a course you should take first to become a journalist.

By Katharina M

Jan 17, 2020

Eine sehr gute Einführung in die Welt der Nachrichten. Ich habe sehr viel Spaß beim Lernen gehabt und finde, dass der Aufbau dieses Kurses sehr gelungen ist.

By Melik E

May 1, 2020

It was a pleasure that taking course like this from Michigan State University. And thanks to Coursera to provide this chance to people all around the world.

By SAMUEL K

Jun 23, 2020

A great course to assist in the building of a career in Professional Communications. Kudos to the wonderful instructors who gave so much to the learners.

Aug 6, 2019

I really enjoyed the entire course. I would love to see a proper specialisation on investigative journalism by this college. Thanks very much for it

By Víctor M M

Feb 26, 2017

Very pleased with the whole course. Teachers' delivery is easy to understand for the non-English speaking people like me. Happy and pleased.