Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB

Feb 07, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO

Jul 17, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

76 - 100 of 406 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Liliane M

May 20, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, though I never imagined myself as a writer of childrens fiction, it may very well look like, that my first book, might be exactly that.

Thank you to the great teachers.

By Sarah E

Aug 10, 2015

It definitely inspired my writing, as well as improved my techniques. The many interviews with other authors gave someone another view on how to write, transform and present one's own work.

By Titus K

Apr 21, 2020

i enjoyed this course, i have never written and subbmitted something before, and i found it to be exiting, this course has also helped me greatly with many of my writing projects.

By Priscilla T

Nov 23, 2015

Excellent. Thanks to the professors' guidance, I wrote a children's picture book and have submitted my manuscript to a local publisher. Cross my fingers and toes for good measure!

By Danielle C

Feb 03, 2020

The course is taught quite well; the assignments are fun and not too daunting or difficult. I especially benefited from the editing, proofreading, and publishing lesson modules.

By Taylor M S

Jul 29, 2019

I've only done the first week of this course, but I've already learned so much. It is such a great course and the workload is very light. I highly recommend taking this course.

By Heena J

Jun 25, 2016

Learning never should be assumed by the source. Online sources too can outshine other platforms. This course is doing wonders to me and is definitely making me a better writer.

By Ciera M

Aug 19, 2015

I really enjoyed this course! It has a very fun approach to writing for beginners, as well as having some interesting insights (I think) for those who are already experienced.

By Karoline v d B

Mar 22, 2016

Great course to actually get started writing, instead of just having the idea! I got some great tips and a bunch of first drafts that I'll come back to. Thank you so much!

By Gil J

Sep 21, 2015

Excellent. Encouraging and informative. Interviews perhaps a little too long, could be edited down 25%, but not a big deal. Read some great stories as part of peer review.

By Sergio A L

May 27, 2016

what I loved better was the possibility of rescheduling the deadlines :-) I work in the peruvian rainforest and sometimes there is no access to internet for a good while

By Daffodil d J

Sep 01, 2020

This was an excellent course. I found David Hill's lessons fun and entertaining, and I eagerly looked forward to my peer reviews and reading other people's submissions.

By Precious M

May 04, 2020

This was one of the most interesting course's I have ever taken. I have learnt a lot about writing for children and i'm most likely to write a book about children soon.

By Vidhisha K

Dec 02, 2016

It was a good learning experience. This course certainly helped me to know as to know to bring out creativity in a structured way. The guest lectures were very informa

By Neethika

Apr 28, 2020

The course curriculum served as an opportunity to identify the writer in me, especially the Peer-reviewed assignments that motivated me to do much better every time.

By Virginia C

Aug 22, 2015

This course is excellent, the content is rich, the videos are amusing and helpful, the interviews are just great. Thank you so much for such a high quality course!

By Biba O

Nov 21, 2016

Muy interesante y útil. Ameno y motivador. Los tutores y el equipo del curso siempre están disponibles para lo que haga falta. Mil gracias por esta oportunidad.<3

By Stephanie Y G

Jan 07, 2016

I really enjoy the course and appreciate the feedbacks of all peers. For a full-time employee and mum of a toddler, the flexibility of the course helps a lot.

By Richard V

Aug 22, 2015

Whether you are new to writing or looking for a new way to approach writing, take this course. The short writing exercises work so well with the video lectures.

By Howard D P

Jun 24, 2018

Had access to incredibly talented and experienced writing mentors. Loved the fun interaction with other new writers honing their writing skills. Learned a lot.

By Ravish

May 29, 2016

David Hill is simply superb with clarity and focus on small small things that matter for young writers and readers alike. Blessed to have attended this course.

By Steven V

Aug 28, 2015

I simply love this course! There should be more writing courses on Coursera because this one has been very helpful and insightful for aspiring writers like me!

By Shivalika

Dec 26, 2015

Very detailed, descriptive and knowledgeable videos. The two resource persons are excellent at their jobs. Thank you for improving my knowledge on writing.

By Harshita

Jan 22, 2018

The course was easy to follow and helped me apply what I learnt in each module. The videos were very informative and I would highly recommend this course.

By Juliana B

Sep 28, 2015

Very enriching. I learned very useful things about writing. I enjoyed the interviews as well! The thing I liked the most, that it made me write weekly!